Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 24, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru

Member#: 73805
Default Ireland could switch from left to right-hand driving

Quote:
Ireland could switch from left to right-hand driving

Considering the close proximity between Ireland and Europe it’s surprising to note that motorists in each area drive on opposite sides of the road. Ireland, like its neighbor England, drives on the left-hand side of the road but this could one day change because there are calls to switch sides as a way of reducing the number of accidents from travelers coming into the country from the rest of Europe and the U.S.

Donie Cassidy, the leader of Ireland’s upper chamber Senate, said Ireland should consider the switch because of the tens of thousands of workers, especially from central and eastern European countries, that are currently flooding the country. It is also a popular tourist destination for visitors from the United States. “We have all of these people coming in from Europe and from America and (because of) the roads that they are used to driving on in their own countries it is a huge difficulty when they start driving here,” Cassidy told public broadcaster RTE.

Such a move is not unheard of. Back in 1967, Sweden switched from driving on the left to driving on the right to come into line with the rest of Europe. However, motoring bodies have deemed the proposal as “completely impractical.” Another solution put forward by Cassidy is to limit the maximum speed of visitors to 80km/h, while Irish residents could travel at up to 120km/h.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/n...-hand-driving/
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru

Member#: 873
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2018 Leg / Ridgeline
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

I recently took my honeymoon in Ireland, and those rodes outside of the big cities are NARROW, and the speed limit everywhere is 100km/hour. I peppered the left side of my rental car many times with gravel, grass, bushes, etc.

I am actually glad I was not in my subie, as it simply would not fit!
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote