Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #1
Mitus
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 382610
Vehicle:
2014 Impreza WRX STI
WR Blue

Default Perrin Performance: Wing Stabilizers for 11-14 STI sedan

For a very long time I’ve been jealous of 04-07 STI owners because they could use the Perrin Wing Stabilizers. I love that WRC style. Finally, Perrin released an updated version for the 11-14 STI and I couldn’t be happier. It seems like such a simple modification, but there’s a high level of detail involved if you ask me. The stabilizers fit the gap between the trunk and the wing perfectly. Once again Perrin shows off their skills by producing the quality we’ve come to expect.

Obviously there’s a style factor. These things look bad ass and you’ve got several options. You can go with 1, 2 or 3 stabilizers. Leave them black or color match them. But what about function? These things do exactly what their name says… they stabilize your wing! No more bouncing spoiler at high speeds or vibrating on bumpy roads.

Installing them was a piece of cake. Two stabilizers took me roughly 45 minutes to do.
Installation:
I recommend having someone assist you with this as it will be quite difficult on your own. I also recommend having the following handy before you begin: A level (to make sure things are strait), Masking tape, Scissors, Phillip’s head screwdriver, denatured alcohol (or substitute to remove was safely) and microfiber cloths

– Each Wing Stabilizers comes with 4 strips of 3m double sided foam tape. You will only need 2 strips per stabilizer if done correctly on your first try.

– Start off by cleaning the surfaces where you’ll be installing the Wing Stabilizers. Use denatured alcohol, or a chemical that will remove wax safely. This is to ensure that the double sided tape will stick to the surface. Make sure to clean both the trunk surface and the underside of the wing.

– Lift up on the wing slightly and test fit your Wing Stabilizers. Once you have placed them in your desired position, line the outside of them with masking tape to mark the area which the stabilizer(s) will be mounted. (shown in photo below)

– Once you’ve set down your masking tape, you can remove the stabilizer(s).

– Peel off one side of the backing to the double-sided tape and apply it to the top and bottom of each Wing Stabilizer. Press firmly to ensure a tight seal is made. Trim off any excess tape.

– Here is where my personal experience differed from the instructions provided in the box. I found that once I put the double-sided tap on the stabilizer(s), I could not slip them into place. So I had to loosen then wing itself to give me enough room to slip the stabilizer(s) in. Do this simply by loosening or removing the 3 bolts underneath either side of the wing. If you have never removed the wing before there will be small plastic stickers over the screws that you must remove first.

– Carefully peel back a small portion of the double-sided tap on each side of the stabilizers (shown in the photo below)

– With the wing loose, slide the Wing Stabilizers into the locations you’ve marked with masking tape. Constantly check the stabilizer(s) with a level to ensure they are not misaligned.

– Once the stabilizer(s) are properly aligned, slowly lower the wing and re-install the 3 screws to tighten it into place.

– While holding the Wing Stabilizers in place, slowly peel the clear tape on the lower section. This will expose the tape to the trunk surface and begin the process of adhesion. Double check the alignment before moving on because you’ll have a few brief seconds to readjust if you need to.

– Repeat the previous step on the upper section of the Wing Stabilizers.

– Double check and make any minor adjustments ASAP.

– Press down firmly on the top of the wing for approximately 20-30 seconds. The Double sided tape will be 75% bonded after 2 hours and will be fully bonded after 72 hours.

Here’s a shot of what it looked like after I finished:

Mitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links