Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Vendor Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #1
dreamofwrx
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (7)

Member#: 72866
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
05 WRX
Silver

Default hid projectors.com review and why you should stay away

Not sure how many people are retro fitting their subies, but its worth a read if you are into modified cars/trucks. Here is my experience, I hope it saves someone else the headache I've gone through.

Stay with me, bit of a rant, but details on why you should never shop with hid projectors.com. Please share to all automotive forums.
I paid $700 for two retro fitted HID lights for my Nissan frontier. All blacked out, no big deal right? Should be fairly easy. Initially I was very impressed, looked nice and they were packed well. Responses were quick via email. Install was a bit difficult because I have a schrock works bumper with the guards on the front. i scratched my trim piece slightly, but thought oh well its a truck and its not that noticeable.
Lights back in and I'm happy, good light output, but no brights.....just assumed thats the way they were supposed to be. A few weeks in my driver side bulb starts intermintetally cutting off. I contact them and they have me switch ballasts to determine what is faulty, a little annoying but totally understandable. Everything is then good to go, for a little bit....
I took my truck to get the titan engine swapped in and Brendan tells me the marker is loose in the drivers side light and I said ok ill look at it, thinking maybe there is just a little play, nope a week after i get my truck back the marker inside the light literally comes off and falls to the bottom of the headlight. Im thinking, wow, I'm a little pissed, I'm sure they will send me a new one. Wrong. I am required to take this light out and send to them to be fixed. So, now I have no headlight and really don't want to drive the truck because my grill and trim piece are out and its so difficult to reinstall i want to wait to get my headlight back.
After going to their site to get the phone number to call (because no-one called me to confirm my light was actually being fixed) I notice the lights are supposed to have brights, so I call to check on my light and the service department tells me they are supposed to have brights, and I hear someone in the background claim there were out of a certain part when they sent mine out.
After talking to sales about it, there is a known issue with certain harnesses not working on frontier lights. Cool, so you knowingly sent me the wrong harness in hopes it would all just work out. On top of that, i had to pull the professional wiring job out that brendan did while he put the new engine in.
So I get the light back, and literally the same night I put the drivers side light in, the passenger side light comes up with condensation all over the inside of it. I never removed that light or altered it and never had the issue prior.
At this point, I'm beyond pissed, all the the poor craftsmanship and bull**** work to begin with are being put off on me as a responsibility. Point blank several times i inquired how they were going to make this right, the answer they kept telling me is send it in to get it fixed or trouble shoot it. No talk of money back, sending a brand new pair, nothing. Basically, keep fixing our mistakes till they stop. After I sent them a final email telling them how absolutely disgusted i am with their "product" now they offer me a full refund......but.....i have to send the lights back. So really just a year of ****ery and a scratched to hell trim piece.
Do NOT buy from this company. I was more than polite and gave them ample opportunities to fix this issue. Pictures will be in the comments below.
dreamofwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
dreamofwrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX
Silver

Old 02-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
dreamofwrx
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 WRX
Silver

Old 02-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Charlie-III
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Condensation in an automotive light.......weather happens. Pretty much ANY automotive light may have condensation with major humidity changes.....they're Frikkin vented to atmosphere to allow bulb heating........
Period.
So, a light housing sucked in some moisture, even stock do that.
Granted, if you have water sloshing around in the bottom of the housing, that IS an issue, stock or otherwise.

Can't comment on the rest of your experience, yes, we get you're pissed.
I'm not really sure what to say beyond this.

Hope it works out.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470845
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

Sounds to me like your best bet at this point would be to buy some Morimoto butyl, bake them to separate, fix the reflector/reflectors (if one came off the other will probably follow) and reseal them up. That will cost you $20 and they will be sealed better than they came and your reflector issues should be resolved for good. You paid a good amount for those lights but there still cheap. I had more $$ in just parts than you paid for your entire set of housings. Good lights are EXPENSIVE!!! You can have them fixed in an afternoon if you get butyl and just do the repairs yourself.
Fndragn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
blurred
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 47143

You paid to have someone modify your lights, why would they send a new set? Makes no sense. Of course they have to get yours back to try to fix the issue(s).

Next time you know better to sent to a reputable company. $700 is actually too cheap for this work to be done, so you are getting a substandard job with cheap parts. This should have cost you $1200-1500 to do it properly.
blurred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
gjkrisa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461897

You do have the right to be pissed bad business practices I would contact them and tell them that they need to be more transparent about things they should of contacted you about the parts and what Jimmy rigging there doing or want to do. Sounds like they want to do good business but they probably had bad role models where they worked before. I got sucked into that for awhile. But did I had to realize the errors on my own.
gjkrisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
tomhid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482449

I am the owner of HIDprojectors and I have been working with Mr. Andrew (dreamofwrx) and have made every effort to resolve this issue with him, even offering him a full refund after he has had these lights for more than a year. Unfortunately, we were not able to come to an amicable solution, despite our best efforts. The claims he is making about our company and level of customer service are incorrect.

1) Yes he had a wiring issue that we acknowledged and addressed for him.
2) Yes one of the lights had a reflector come loose which we apologized for and fixed (and paid for shipping both ways)
3) The condensation pictured occurred more than a year after his initial install and has since cleared up (could have been a number of issues causing this). We offered to troubleshoot with him via email or phone, take the light back and troubleshoot and test for him if he was unable to do it himself, and even offered him a full refund, with paid shipping after more than a year of ownership. Mr Andrew refused these attempts to fix the issue and required us to pay him $700 and allow him to keep the lights, which we refused.

Please see email chain below for an accurate recap of communications. We pride ourselves in customer service and have been building lights for more than 10 years. Yes, mistakes were made here and yes, we did try to fix them, up to an including a full refund however we were unable to reach an amicable solution with this customer.

***email chain (read from the bottom up for chronological order***

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 2012 Pathfinder Retrofit

Color me surprised, donít worry Ive already started spreading my review on social media with pictures attached, next step every car forum I am a member of. Ill shop elsewhere for my pathfinder lights. Couldnít be any worse of an experience than what Ive had already.

Andrew
On Feb 20, 2018, at 4:28 PM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Andrew. Iím sorry but I cannot accept that.

Thanks,

Tom Heusinger
President, HIDprojectors, INC
HIDprojectors.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 4:26 PM

The only acceptable solution to me at this point is a refund, but you donít get the lights back. Or i send the lights back with a bill for the hours of time Iíve put into this situation. I charge 50 per hour to my clients. Plus time for my truck being down. Sound fair?

Andrew

On Feb 20, 2018, at 4:04 PM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Andrew Ė if a refund is the best course here I would be happy to do that for you. I truly am sorry that the lights went out this way as that is not what we typically produce here. I can offer you two options:

1) You can send the lights back for a full refund. Weíll pay shipping costs to take them back as well.
2) You can send the light that is having condensation issues back and weíll be happy to test and reseal it.

Please let me know which option works best for you.

Thanks,

Tom Heusinger
HIDprojectors.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:47 PM

And by the way, yes i checked the things you suggested. My question is if 700 dollars is what i pay for a correct pair of headlights, whats my refund for the lights i received? You dont want to seem to answer that question though. The first question you should have asked: how can i make it right. You dont want to talk to me on the phone trust me.
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 20, 2018, at 2:31 PM, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
HI Andrew Ė I am sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our level of support. I can assure you that we are trying our best to help here. We typically work with the customer to try and identify a possible fix that doesnít involve sending the lights back. For example, if its something as simple as the seal on the turn signal, thatís an easy thing for the customer to check and verify. Same goes for the wire routing. Often the fix is an honest oversight and doesnít require sending the lights back. If those items all test out then yes, we would recommend taking the light back here to troubleshoot it.

Please let me know if you can answer the questions from my previous email which will help us figure out the next step. If you prefer to just mail the light back to us without doing those test we would be happy to do them for you.

Iíll be here all week if youíd like to talk on the phone about this Ė you can reach me at 716.662.3479, option 1.

Thanks,

Tom Heusinger
HIDprojectors.com

Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 9:51 AM

Tom,

Ok, the head light had not been moved or messed with and the wires were the same as they had always been because i had never had an issue prior. So at this point, who knows? I guess I am going to put my truck back together because I have been without its use for multiple weeks due to the head light issues and I am tired of dealing with it. So I will be blunt, whats the fix? Whats my compensation? Are we done at this point, because there has not been an offer from your company. I just donít find it acceptable to hear about why all of these things have gone wrong and what I need to do to fix them. 10% off my next pair of headlights that may or may not have just as many issues isnít going cut it. So I will leave the ball in your court, make it worth my time, or Ill deal with any future issues on my own, and make sure I do a full write on my experience with your company on the forums and FB pages.

Andrew
tomhid is offline   Reply With Quote