Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
rlew21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395708
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
Silver

Default replacing valve guides

i already checked out this thread: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2828200

hopefully the more experienced out there can chime in. I need to relace the valve guides on my version 8 ej207 heads (doing a hybrid build). Now I'm wondering if I should follow the method mentioned with heating the heads, freezing the guides and picking up a cheap valve guide driver that i could use with my air chisel (I'd use a pressure regulator and give it just enough PSI to get the guides in) OR should I leave it to an experienced machinist who can make sure that it's in straight/true to the valve seats?

Also a machinist in the area said that he could show me how to use his valve grinding stones to do a multi angle valve job. He has the old school tools that use the guide to line up the stones, would that wear out the guides before I even have a chance to put the valves in it? I also might be able to chuck it up on the bridgeport at his shop.

tldr: should i install my own valve guides or leave it to the pros?
rlew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
Barney145
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 376219

No, absolutely do not attempt this yourself. There are so many ways to get it wrong. Even experienced "old school" machine shops shouldn't go near late model multi valve heads with 6mm and smaller stems with their heavy ass stone type seat grinders. The seats should be machined using appropriate modern equipment. But only after the guides are installed correctly and sized accurately, preferably finished to size with a valve guide hone.
Barney145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #3
Turn in Concepts
Former Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney145 View Post
No, absolutely do not attempt this yourself. There are so many ways to get it wrong. Even experienced "old school" machine shops shouldn't go near late model multi valve heads with 6mm and smaller stems with their heavy ass stone type seat grinders. The seats should be machined using appropriate modern equipment. But only after the guides are installed correctly and sized accurately, preferably finished to size with a valve guide hone.
This man very much speaks the truth.

Additionally, if you replace the guides you WILL have to get the seats cut. No matter how careful you are driving and reaming guides they will never ever be the exact same as what came out. Even the smallest deviation will lead to a leak.

Bottom line, if you need to do guides then you're doing a whole refresh.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:28 AM   #4
rexworx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 103232
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
GTX 3071R'd 11WRX
PPG,4.44,LSD,E85,6spdx3

Ill be the third to hop in and agree with the statements above.
rexworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
rlew21
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395708
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatch
Silver

Good to know! Looks like I'll be reusing the valves, keeping the guides in and replacing the seals for now until I have a chance to take the car off the road again next summer and get a proper valve job done with undercut stems and all that fancy stuff. Gotta love being a broke college student ;-)
rlew21 is offline   Reply With Quote