Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday January 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 AM   #1
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default JDM AFR Gauge install: need help!

Hey guys. So I'm installing a narrow band AFR gauge however I don't know which wire I tap into to get the O2 signal to the sensor. I found a USDM ECU pinout which I tried and did not work. The colours on the JDM are different and so may be the placement of the pins. I found out from the USDM pinout that pin B17 should be used (see photo) however that did not work although, the way that I tried it maybe was not the best. What I did was to strip the end of the signal wire from the gauge and sorta pushed it in behind the pin where the wires go in while it's connected to the ECU to see if I get a reading. Could the problem be that this method is not the best way to tap in and that I should properly strip the wire on the harness and tap in? Or do I just have the wrong pin entirely because it's a JDM.

Can someone with experience with JDM ECU please assist? I've attached photos for your review.

Cheers












* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by bredzy; 01-11-2019 at 07:44 AM.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

No help anyone?
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #3
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 223K Mi.

Default

Everyone has their reasons , but not many have access to JDM service information. Unless someone purchased a JDM paper manual and can read Japanese.

Also, why are you using a narrow band gauge. They are highly inaccurate for Tuning ;and by simply tapping into the sensor wires it will alter voltage and resistance. Resulting in the ECM reading different values.

Would highly suggest a stand alone wide band or if the ECU supports it and you just want a gauge, an OBD plug in solution. Like a scangauge or AEMís data stream gauge.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/products/gauges/digital-gauges/x-series/obdii
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #4
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
Everyone has their reasons , but not many have access to JDM service information. Unless someone purchased a JDM paper manual and can read Japanese.

Also, why are you using a narrow band gauge. They are highly inaccurate for Tuning ;and by simply tapping into the sensor wires it will alter voltage and resistance. Resulting in the ECM reading different values.

Would highly suggest a stand alone wide band or if the ECU supports it and you just want a gauge, an OBD plug in solution. Like a scangauge or AEMís data stream gauge.

https://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...x-series/obdii
Hey thanks so much for your reply. The thing is i'm all stock and not into tuning anything. I just want to have an Idea of what the readings are , lean or rich, thats it. Would it be wise to try each wire one by one while the gauge and car is on?
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Then get an OBDII gauge. Most engine parameters are all available to read: https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Then get an OBDII gauge. Most engine parameters are all available to read: https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/
These don't work with the JDM ecu. I bought a OBDII bluetooth scanner and tried it with Torque Pro and various other apps to no avail.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM   #7
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Not sure what to tell you. We here in North America use OBDII and we're not familiar with anything else or where you'd get it. Sorry.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #8
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Best and easiest solution if you can't find a diagnostic port solution is to have an exhaust shop weld in a bung forward of your front cat and you plug in a UEGO wideband sensor and run that to an AEM AFR gauge in your cabin. Don't tap the stock AFR wires! Even in applications where the ECU is the recipient of wideband information in lieu of the rear O2 sensor input, the front O2 factory sensor is left alone, using the 2nd O2 sensor for the tuning input to the ECU.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Best and easiest solution if you can't find a diagnostic port solution is to have an exhaust shop weld in a bung forward of your front cat and you plug in a UEGO wideband sensor and run that to an AEM AFR gauge in your cabin. Don't tap the stock AFR wires! Even in applications where the ECU is the recipient of wideband information in lieu of the rear O2 sensor input, the front O2 factory sensor is left alone, using the 2nd O2 sensor for the tuning input to the ECU.
Oh no! never at the front O2 Sensor. There is a wire for the rear O2 Sensor. Thats the one i'm trying to identify.. Well I'll keep researching. I must find which wire it is.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

As already stated the tap-in gauges that connect to the factory sensors are worthless unless all you want is a light show. The rear sensor that you would be tapping is not only narrowband but too far downstream in the exhaust and behind the catalytic converters. It is only there to monitor the condition of the catalyst.
Since your car is not modified or tuned, even a wideband gauge would serve little purpose, and a narrowband gauge is a total waste of time.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
As already stated the tap-in gauges that connect to the factory sensors are worthless unless all you want is a light show. The rear sensor that you would be tapping is not only narrowband but too far downstream in the exhaust and behind the catalytic converters. It is only there to monitor the condition of the catalyst.
Since your car is not modified or tuned, even a wideband gauge would serve little purpose, and a narrowband gauge is a total waste of time.
haha. I see. oh well. i'll go for the light show then.. I already bought it, so i might as well use it, still if any of you guys come across which wire i'm trying to tap into let me know plz. I'm still looking into it. Thanks!
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #12
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to use it. There is potential to do more harm than good by proceeding with the installation.
If there is any possibility to return it (assuming you bought it new) I'd do that. Otherwise maybe put it up for sale on Ebay or another selling site and let someone else have the light show.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to use it. There is potential to do more harm than good by proceeding with the installation.
If there is any possibility to return it (assuming you bought it new) I'd do that. Otherwise maybe put it up for sale on Ebay or another selling site and let someone else have the light show.
Hmmm.. So how will i know if I'm ever burning lean or rich. I think i am , one or the other because I can hear a bit of detonation knock pinging when under load. Any ideas why that is?
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #14
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 223K Mi.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredzy View Post
Hmmm.. So how will i know if I'm ever burning lean or rich. I think i am , one or the other because I can hear a bit of detonation knock pinging when under load. Any ideas why that is?

Understand myself and the others that have posted are trying to help you and you are directly contradicting your argument. Connecting to the ECM for a light show works but potentially can damage the ECU, or damage the engine by changing the signal.
Now you state you have potential drivability issues with fueling , as previously stated....

This is EXACTLY why you need a proper standalone Wideband , the narrow band will tell you exactly ZERO relevant the information to the conditions of air and fuel.

So , do what you will, multiple people have told you, not to head down that path.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
Understand myself and the others that have posted are trying to help you and you are directly contradicting your argument. Connecting to the ECM for a light show works but potentially can damage the ECU, or damage the engine by changing the signal.
Now you state you have potential drivability issues with fueling , as previously stated....

This is EXACTLY why you need a proper standalone Wideband , the narrow band will tell you exactly ZERO relevant the information to the conditions of air and fuel.

So , do what you will, multiple people have told you, not to head down that path.
Hmm. Thanks. I won't go down that path. Not even for the light show. Thanks for the warning. Would it make sense to get an additional O2 sensor for the narrow band gauge just to have a rough idea of the A/F ratio, or should I forget about the narrow band altogether and get a wideband.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

If all you're trying to do is find out why your stock, unmodified car is sometimes pinging the first place to start is not by installing an A/F gauge, not even a wideband. You start with the basics- fuel quality (is the fuel the proper octane, maybe try a different gas station), plugs (are they the right ones and in good condition), cooling system (is the engine running hot which will promote detonation), EGR (if the engine has EGR it could be plugged which can cause knock), intake leaks causing a lean condition, and so on.
We don't know if your car is a turbo or NA, if it's turbo then detonation is more of an issue than if it's NA.
How long have you had the car, has it always done this or is it a recent development, if the latter did you make any changes just before it started?
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #17
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
If all you're trying to do is find out why your stock, unmodified car is sometimes pinging the first place to start is not by installing an A/F gauge, not even a wideband. You start with the basics- fuel quality (is the fuel the proper octane, maybe try a different gas station), plugs (are they the right ones and in good condition), cooling system (is the engine running hot which will promote detonation), EGR (if the engine has EGR it could be plugged which can cause knock), intake leaks causing a lean condition, and so on.
We don't know if your car is a turbo or NA, if it's turbo then detonation is more of an issue than if it's NA.
How long have you had the car, has it always done this or is it a recent development, if the latter did you make any changes just before it started?
I own a JDM, 2001 20K Subaru Impreza Sports Wagon. Its 2.0 Turbo charged. All stock. This is a recent development it does not happen on a regular basis but only when the engine is under load. Well as for gas station here in Dominica we have an octane rating of 89. I'll check the spark plugs and see. Everything was not changed.

Thanks again all of you guys for giving your honest advise.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #18
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredzy View Post
Hmmm.. So how will i know if I'm ever burning lean or rich. I think i am , one or the other because I can hear a bit of detonation knock pinging when under load. Any ideas why that is?
You're turbocharged and JDM. Get yourself a standalone wideband, sell this thing you already have if it cannot interface with a good wideband sensor.

Have an exhaust shop weld an O2 sensor bung in front of your first cat so that the wideband will be sampling the same air that your factory narrowband will.

And go find a mechanic who has worked on JDM before. I'm assuming you're in the States, or are you abroad internationally?
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #19
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
You're turbocharged and JDM. Get yourself a standalone wideband, sell this thing you already have if it cannot interface with a good wideband sensor.

Have an exhaust shop weld an O2 sensor bung in front of your first cat so that the wideband will be sampling the same air that your factory narrowband will.

And go find a mechanic who has worked on JDM before. I'm assuming you're in the States, or are you abroad internationally?
Yeah. I'm located in Dominica, in the Caribbean. I'm going to get a wideband O2 sensor and install it as you suggest and try it on the narrow band ( not sure if that makes sense) meanwhile I will put a wideband O2 sensor on order.

What do you think ?
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #20
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

I don't know what you mean by trying it on the narrow band. Leave your stock front O2 sensor in place and don't do anything till you have your wideband kit.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
I don't know what you mean by trying it on the narrow band. Leave your stock front O2 sensor in place and don't do anything till you have your wideband kit.
What I was thinking of was to try the narrowband gauge which I have with a new wideband O2 sensor which I can get in a shop here but just I am not sure if that even makes sense. I maybe will just wait until I get a wideband gauge and sensor kit.
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #22
Blktrax
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220971
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: West, NC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX 223K Mi.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredzy View Post
What I was thinking of was to try the narrowband gauge which I have with a new wideband O2 sensor which I can get in a shop here but just I am not sure if that even makes sense. I maybe will just wait until I get a wideband gauge and sensor kit.
A sensor and gauge are calibrated together , Specifically AEM gauges that I have calibrate every key cycle. Using a non matched part will result in again inaccuracies.
Blktrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #23
bredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358182
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Dominica
Vehicle:
2001 20K Impreza
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktrax View Post
A sensor and gauge are calibrated together , Specifically AEM gauges that I have calibrate every key cycle. Using a non matched part will result in again inaccuracies.


Ahhh ok ok. I understand perfectly now. I'll keep on working on the things i can do right away like inspecting the spark plugs and searching for any vacuum leaks.

Thank so much!!
bredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.