Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
KLBO
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (3)

Member#: 217211
Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Default Mishimoto Cold air intake 20082014 sti/wrx

Hello everyone,
This is a quick review of Mishimoto’s new cold air intake.

Mishimoto recently had a contest to win their new cold intake and I was fortunate enough to have won this lovely intake.
Received the intake about 2 weeks ago and finally had time to install it this past Thursday.

Now according to Mishimoto’s website you can run this cold air intake with the OEM map, but since I already had an e-tune from torque performance, I had eric adjust my map accordingly with Mishimoto’s intake.

This is how I received the intake. Packaging was great, the intake tube was perfectly bubble wrapped.

Once the bubble wrap was removed this is what I got.

I decided to go with the wrinkle black finish because I wanted to keep my engine bay as simple looking as possible. (I think that might change)

Here is where the MAF sensor resides on the Mishimoto intake. Notice that Mishimoto supply’s you with allen screws for the MAF sensor

This image in the end of the intake where the filter will attached to.

KLBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
KLBO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Here is the silicon coupler that will attach your intake to the turbo inlet pipe

Mishimoto’s intake also includes a heat shield.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #3
KLBO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Here’s is the air filter.

Here are the supplied hardware

This bracket helps secure the intake. To the car.
The right side of the bracket directly bolts on to the car using OEM 10mm bolt. While the other side of the bracket is used to secure the intake using the supplied space and nut.

Assembled intake

Installation on the intake is pretty straight forward, I would give it a 2.5 / 5 on a difficulty scale.
One of the problems I ran into was getting the couple side of the intake to line up correctly with the turbo inlet pipe. The reason I found it difficult is because the intake stood up a bit high. Fixed that by adjusting the filter side of the intake a little deeper into the filter. Also, the location on the MAF sensor is closer to the passenger fender vs the oem location up by the hood. Not sure this will have any negative effects on the MAF sensor or not.

Installation on the intake took about 1.5hrs.

Last edited by KLBO; 06-02-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
KLBO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Intake installed in the car.

Here’s a photos referencing the MAF sensor location on the Mishimoto intake

Also you’ll notice that there is no bracket that securely holds the MAF sensor wires to the intake, unlike the OEM air box.

Another thing that made the installation take a bit longer was installing the rubber spacer. Now when I watched the installation video on Mishimoto’s youtube page, the process seemed fairly easy. But when it was mine turn I had a pretty difficult time.

If you notice both ends of the washer are to be threaded. The reason this gave me difficulty was because there simply wasnt enough space fitting this washer to its intended mounting location and the bracket on the intake.

Here’s the photo once I finally got it to fit. Notice the bottom portion on the washer isn’t fully threaded on. This is because there is no room, once the intake bracket sat on top of the washer it is no moving around /threading that washer at all. (hope that makes sense)

Intake completely installed.

First impressions.

WOW. I've been smiling every single time I have driven the car since installing the intake, except for when I have to get gas.

The induction noise is pretty loud, so much AWESOMENESS. You can really hear the air being sucked in, plus the bpv sounds pretty damn great as well.

So far everything is going well, I’ve driven about 250miles with the intake and its been nothing but amazing.

The power gains are definitely there, my dyno butt says its about 20hp. Car seems to spool up quicker and it feels very smooth. Also, prior to installing the intake my MPG was 21.6 since then I'm at about 22.6.

If your looking for an intake I would highly recommend Mishimoto's cold air intake. Pretty damn awesome, plus its made in the USA with LIFETIME warranty.

I will follow this review up again once I put more miles on it.

Last edited by KLBO; 06-02-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
Stizoo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 367351
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2005 wrx sti
blue

looks great/simple. nicely done man
Stizoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #6
yudangorgor
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)

Member#: 151107
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

any boost creep?
yudangorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
**Adam**
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 257899
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue

Love it. Very Clean
**Adam** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
KLBO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yudangorgor View Post
any boost creep?
Haven't experienced any boost creep.

Will be doing a 3rd pull in the next few days to see how things are going.

Also, I noticed last night that my MPG is up to 24.3 from 21.6 before (city/highway). Im also on Torque performance stage 1 tune. I'm surprised my MPG has gone up, especially since I'm been doing more "spirited" driving, that intake sound is too much fun.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
424wrx
Scooby Guru
Member Sales Rating: (6)

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
08 wrx stg3 vf52
14 legacy, 11 fozzy

looks like a nice setup.im gonna try and make a fender plate like that for my perrin cai. one thing though, there is no way on earth you gained 20 hp,even more so with no additional tuning. dont believe what a company try and tells you.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
elevenbravo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 372475
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 STI
CWP

I'm interested to know if your tune needs adjustment, if it is in fact like OEM or not.
elevenbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
Bru1212
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 178770
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
06 STi
17 Fozz

The air straighteners in that tube is a really nice touch.
Bru1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #12
KLBO
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Limited
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 424wrx View Post
looks like a nice setup.im gonna try and make a fender plate like that for my perrin cai. one thing though, there is no way on earth you gained 20 hp,even more so with no additional tuning. dont believe what a company try and tells you.
Ya. I agree. Maybe it's just hearing the noise that makes me think that way. I wish I had access to a dyno to see before and after plots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevenbravo View Post
I'm interested to know if your tune needs adjustment, if it is in fact like OEM or not.
I asked Eric at Torque Performance, how much more different or if he thought it would be possible to run this intake with the stock tune. His answer was
" It should be possible to run on the stock tune, it is actually scales pretty close to a AEM intake "
Old 07-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
yudangorgor
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (4)

Member#: 151107
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
SWP

wondering if anything got this on a stage 2 just TBE if there is boost creep
yudangorgor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #14
davefedex5358
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 309719

@KLBO's article above is excellent. I just installed a Mishimoto CAI on my 2012 Forester XT. Here are some pics:

The installation was uneventful except for the small rubber spacer - the same spacer that challenged @KLBO.

With this spacer in place, the output end of intake duct was about 1" above the turbo inlet. I don't like forcing things to fit, so I decided to leave out the spacer. I dropped a note to Mishimoto Tech Support on this - so far no reply. With the spacer omitted, things aligned properly - really very close all things considered. But, the end of the bracket was unsecured.

My first 'fix' was to fasten the bracket down securely with an M6x1.0 fastener. I added a rubber-lined strap to secure the MAF cable.

This worked, but the problem is that the intake duct is not free to move. If the engine should shudder or shake, it will place a lot of unnecessary strain on the duct. This morning, I tried another fix - a 40mm threaded stud. I filed some flats on the top of the stud so I could prevent it from turning. The stud threads into the hole in the heat shield. The small bracket is next. Then I included a fender washer followed by the duct bracket, another fender washer, and finally two nuts jammed together. These nuts are snug, but not tight - the duct bracket is free to move between the two fender washers.

If this works, I'll replace the home-made stud with a 40mm Allen-head set screw.

If anyone has suggestions for a better fix, please comment. Mishimoto could have engineered this part a bit better. After reading @KLBO's write-up, I was glad I wasn't the only person with a small rubber spacer problem.
davefedex5358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
davefedex5358
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBO
I asked Eric at Torque Performance, how much more different or if he thought it would be possible to run this intake with the stock tune. His answer was
" It should be possible to run on the stock tune, it is actually scales pretty close to a AEM intake "
Any more information on this? Has anyone tuned for this intake?
Old 07-28-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
davefedex5358
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBO
Any more information on this? Has anyone tuned for this intake?
Old 08-18-2018, 06:36 PM   #17
bramsmout
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490072

I'm running a Cobb intake on my 08 wrx without a tune. All fine just checked the AFR. Think the Cobb and mishimoto are quite the same.
bramsmout is offline   Reply With Quote