Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Pre-2002 Factory Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
goalieboy1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 183158
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
92 JDM WRX
Silver

Angry slowwww

Hey guys need some help with my car. To start off its a 1992 JDM wrx with the ej20g. As far as mods go, well I dont have any except for the USDM coil conversion which I recently did, not to be confused the issue ive been having was also occuring prior to the coil conversion. Something to bare in mind while reading this is that my exhaust is broken just past the bend on the downpipe (bottom of DP)

My problem: I cant hit full boost. Up until I did my coil conversion I was convinced it was just misfiring as I could hear it at highway speeds. After I did the conversion I was able to hit 0.8 bar again as opposed to the previous 0.5 so i thought, issue solved. Well I was wrong. Reason is, when doing the conversion, I disconnected the battery which would reset my ECU and for a short period after it was boosting as it should. Later that night, it went back down to the 0.5 bar range again. This leaves me to assume that my car has gone into limp mode.

I did the read memory test for codes and just got a regular flashing interval (no codes in memory) so my next step was to do the test mode. While I was out driving the car in test mode (as the tech document said I should do) I looked down and noticed my Check engine was now flashing the O2 sensor code (I believe it was 32) and continued to do so for 2-3 minutes of driving then oddly, went back to flashing regular intervals again. Went home, checked the memory codes and again discovered nothing.

Questions:
1) How is it possible that it could flash a code during test mode, stop flashing that same code and then not store it in memory
2) What possible causes are there for limp mode
3) Which tests should I try running now
4) Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks for all the help you guys can provide me with, sorry for such a long thread
goalieboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 04:37 AM   #2
sniper512
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 189923
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
1993 JDM WRX
Black

Well dude its time to throw some parts at it. There are a few tests that can be done but other than that it comes down to process of elimination. We will have to try my spare MAF and swap DPs. We can also try cleaning your boost solenoid as well maybe its getting stuck. Also we can try swapping my ECU into your since I have a tuned ECU for our gas over here and see if that maybe it as well. Changing all your vacuum lines maybe be wise as well.
sniper512 is offline   Reply With Quote