Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 31, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM   #101
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubeySTi2011 View Post
pumped to see the new numbers
She's gonna hit 500 very easily i predict. Jr said he could get me 550whp on factory block, doubt I have the balls to try that though.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #102
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

OKay here we go. Car has been tuned and I couldnt be more happier. 507awhp! factory Type RA block. Graham Gaylord was my tuner.
Those of you just now tuning in, full mod list on first page.


james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #103
08redWRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 186068
Join Date: Aug 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Vehicle:
2019 STi
DGM

Default

Awesome! Congrats man! What were the issues you were having that they had to fix?
08redWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:07 PM   #104
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

None really. Few thing from last shop were installed, done fall ass.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #105
Fndragn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 470845
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
2011 Sti
DGM

Default

Nice! Graham does good work. He tuned my Sti as well.
Fndragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #106
lockidy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510978
Join Date: Jan 2020
Default

nice build
lockidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #107
cfcjohn7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 513783
Join Date: Apr 2020
Vehicle:
2019 WRX STi

Default

This is a really encouraging thread! Will be following it for future reference
cfcjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 09:48 PM   #108
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfcjohn7 View Post
This is a really encouraging thread! Will be following it for future reference

I'm currently on FP red turbo. Thinking abt going to XR black and pushing this engine a bit more. Ive seen one 2019 sti stock block putting down 600 wheel.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:55 AM   #109
StankyWankyKime
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 513985
Join Date: Apr 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-30 View Post
So I have a 2019 STI that I'm building. For now I'm going full bolt on as there really isn't much info out there on how much power the refreshed pistons can take. I'll go stage 2 IAG closed deck later. For now my goal is a reliable 400awhp on stock internals. Even if the car can safely take 400+ im shutting things down at 400 as there is no reason to trash the stock block. All parts are still rolling in and I have yet to tare into my car. My question is am I forgetting anything?

Mod list:
*Forced Performance Red Ball Bearing
*Forced Performance inlet
*Cylinder 4 cooling kit
*Invidia catless downpipe
*Carven single exit catback
*ETS 4" front mount
*ETS SD intake
*Tial 50mm BOV
*COBB EBCS 1/4in EWG Fitting Kit
*Grimmspeed EBCS
*Killer B uppipe 38mm Tial ewg
*Killer B header ceramic coated
*Killer b pan, baffle, pickup
*ID 1300cc injectors
*Fuelab 6 Micron filter
*Torque Solutions TGV
*Six Star rails, -6an lines, FPR
*Full Cobb e85 kit
*Visconti basket upgrade
*Walbro 485 pump
*DW hard wire kit
*South Bend stage 3 clutch
*IAG street AOS
*NGK Spark Plugs LFR7AIX
*Air pump block off kit
*Group N engine, trans mount
*SuperPro pitch stop
*Perrin brace for pitch stop
*DDS carbon fiber drive shaft
*SuperPro rear sway bar, endlinks
*superPro adjustable rear lower arms
*superpro adjustable toe arms
*superPro front sway bar endlinks
*SuperPro bushing all around
*Fortune Auto coiloves 9K swift springs
*Wedsport RN-05M 18x9.5 265 35 18 good year F1's
What is the need for the cylinder 4 Cooling Kit?
StankyWankyKime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #110
F1EA
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 448622
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Vancouver, BC
Vehicle:
2019 STI SportTech
CWP

Default

Wow this is nuts. Almost 2x stock power with an insane top end.

Your initial post mentioned you wanted to cap it at ~400 whp. If you were to keep it thereabouts... which parts from your list would you stick with?

Last edited by F1EA; 04-27-2020 at 10:52 PM.
F1EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #111
Felman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471691
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Madrid (Spain - Europe)
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue 02c

Default

Freaking awsome James ,... I'll keep over here to stay hearing news from your STI ...... have an 06 STI and thinking to drop some Type RA/2019 shortblock and forget about forged pistons ... this is good info man.

How about the headgasket/head studs... no head lifting? no pushing coolant? .... its another of my fears ... f***ing boomer stock head studs ...
Felman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:20 PM   #112
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felman View Post
Freaking awsome James ,... I'll keep over here to stay hearing news from your STI ...... have an 06 STI and thinking to drop some Type RA/2019 shortblock and forget about forged pistons ... this is good info man.

How about the headgasket/head studs... no head lifting? no pushing coolant? .... its another of my fears ... f***ing boomer stock head studs ...

If I was starting fresh with a new RA short block id pull the pistons out, open the ring gap abit. Reassemble the engine with ARP head studs. XR black turbo and "send it" to 600 wheel!
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #113
Felman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471691
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Madrid (Spain - Europe)
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue 02c

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-30 View Post
If I was starting fresh with a new RA short block id pull the pistons out, open the ring gap abit. Reassemble the engine with ARP head studs. XR black turbo and "send it" to 600 wheel!
oh, hey James, thanks for replying... how many milles on the clock is getting the beast?

ARP headbolts, thats the way yeah ... which model? 2000 or 625+?
still with the oem headgasket i guess..

acording to the ring gap, did you open the gap of yours? or just were advising a trick..

I wonder how much would be that "a bit"... I read it before to TIC (turning concepts user?) in some other post, but can't remember now..

thanks for the info!!

Last edited by Felman; 05-13-2020 at 04:38 AM.
Felman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:59 PM   #114
RKeating
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 504288
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: KC
Vehicle:
2010 Sti Hatch

Default

When you say Cobb e85 do you mean flex fuel? If not why not do flex?
RKeating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:48 AM   #115
1DaySTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 422779
Join Date: Jun 2015
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
19 STI LIMITED
CBS

Default

You ditched the bcp x500+ for a fp red? Interesting....bcp still available?
1DaySTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:39 AM   #116
thegreatob
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488134
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Southern New England
Vehicle:
2019 STi
WR Blue

Default

Update? How is she holding up?
thegreatob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #117
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DaySTI View Post
You ditched the bcp x500+ for a fp red? Interesting....bcp still available?

BCP will not make 500 wheel without head work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatob View Post
Update? How is she holding up?
Just fine. No issues. FYI Jr just tuned a factory block 2020 sti running an ETS rotated kit. made 610 wheel.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:34 AM   #118
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481754
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Beaufort, SC
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

Default

Nice build. How many miles do you have on it now?

I am in the process of picking out a new block. My brand new IAG stage 2 tuff block ingested something so no warranty. In order to save some money I'm contemplating picking up an RA block vs another stage 2. Car is my DD and realistically I'll never see 500whp, MAYBE 450whp on e85 but there's no e85 here. My concern is how long the block will last at 400whp on a DD.
Zak6182 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #119
hadvw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151958
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default

Sad to hear about your tuff block - hope you find something that works better for your.

Stories like this (new built block, $5K+ installed, died 3 months later, no warranty) are one reason I shied away from doing something similar to my LGT..
hadvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:07 AM   #120
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481754
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Beaufort, SC
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

Default

I think my situation was a freak accident. In my search for a picking a new block I've found its hard to figure out how long a built block DD will last. Some with 400whp go at 15k miles and some (user1029) with 500whp were still going at 60k miles. There's so many variables in peoples builds, tunes, maintenance and driving habits/conditions that its hard to say what killed each persons motor.

My concern with a new motor is making it to 100k miles, that's about 7yrs for my average mileage. The built blocks can handle the power but they have larger clearances to accommodate more heat from more power. This can increase wear, causing a shorter lifespan.

At this point I'm pretty torn. I've change my mind twice this morning alone. I'd really hate to buy a built block and only have it last for 60k miles when I could have bought an RA and done the same thing. I wish the RA's had come out a year earlier so we had more data.
Zak6182 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #121
splitoris
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 433063
Join Date: Oct 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak6182 View Post
I think my situation was a freak accident. In my search for a picking a new block I've found its hard to figure out how long a built block DD will last. Some with 400whp go at 15k miles and some (user1029) with 500whp were still going at 60k miles. There's so many variables in peoples builds, tunes, maintenance and driving habits/conditions that its hard to say what killed each persons motor.

My concern with a new motor is making it to 100k miles, that's about 7yrs for my average mileage. The built blocks can handle the power but they have larger clearances to accommodate more heat from more power. This can increase wear, causing a shorter lifespan.

At this point I'm pretty torn. I've change my mind twice this morning alone. I'd really hate to buy a built block and only have it last for 60k miles when I could have bought an RA and done the same thing. I wish the RA's had come out a year earlier so we had more data.
Same boat, looking to make 350whp maybe 400, Iíve been considering the ra or pony up and spend more on rallispec with 4032 pistons. Multiple timers says 350-400whp on e85 with ra block should be fine. Flatirons has ra for 1800 and the rallispec is around 3600...
splitoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #122
hadvw
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 151958
Join Date: Jun 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak6182 View Post
I think my situation was a freak accident. In my search for a picking a new block I've found its hard to figure out how long a built block DD will last. Some with 400whp go at 15k miles and some (user1029) with 500whp were still going at 60k miles. There's so many variables in peoples builds, tunes, maintenance and driving habits/conditions that its hard to say what killed each persons motor.
And you are free to think what you want and make your own choices. And your situation is different from mine, so I'm not saying you're wrong.

Personally, when I see that same "mine was a freak accident, not true in general" happen 10-20 times over the years (had the LGT for almost 15 years) just with LGTs, *I* think that, even though they are freak accidents (i.e. there's nothing inherent to a built block that causes failures), they happen way too much for my liking. You know, spent $5-8k, 5% chance it dies after a couple of weeks, no warranty, gotta wait another 3-4 months for the next one to be built, another $5-8K, etc. Rather than risk spending $15K just to get a built block that works in a 12+ year old car (in my case) that was worth maybe $7-8k, it made more sense to sell it (the fact that the rear diff broke made it easier to decide) and buy a car that was faster to begin with and lightly mod it. Much less worry to keep me awake at night.

IIRC, IAG and Outfront are some of the good ones for built blocks, but I'm sure others will say those are garbage and tell you to go with X or Y. And my information may be out of date as well..
hadvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:08 AM   #123
Zak6182
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 481754
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Beaufort, SC
Vehicle:
2017 STi Base
Black

Default

I dont blame you for going a different route. I thought about buying my buddy's 19 RS3 with 6k miles, but I'm in the middle of some financial stuff (besides the STi) and I don't want to mess with those payments.

Since I'm on pump 93 I ended up going with another iag block. I spoke with my tuner and he said he's tuned a lot of them to well over 400whp, but theres just not enough evidence to say how long it will last. Plus I think most of those guys with those numbers are running e85. If I had e85 available I may have made a different decision. In the end I decided to play it safe and go to closed deck. Not that a closed deck would have prevented my issue with the last block, but with the discount they were giving me it just made sense.

I looked at Flat Iron for an RA block. They want another $200 something in shipping. I found it cheapest online at Heuberger Subaru and I think the shipping time is shorter than Flat Iron.
Zak6182 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:11 PM   #124
Blubarusti
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 511694
Join Date: Feb 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james-30 View Post
So I have a 2019 STI that I'm building. For now I'm going full bolt on as there really isn't much info out there on how much power the refreshed pistons can take. I'll go stage 2 IAG closed deck later. For now my goal is a reliable 400awhp on stock internals. Even if the car can safely take 400+ im shutting things down at 400 as there is no reason to trash the stock block. All parts are still rolling in and I have yet to tare into my car. My question is am I forgetting anything?



Mod list:

*Forced Performance Red Ball Bearing

*Forced Performance inlet

*Cylinder 4 cooling kit

*Invidia catless downpipe

*Carven single exit catback

*ETS 4" front mount

*ETS SD intake

*Tial 50mm BOV

*COBB EBCS 1/4in EWG Fitting Kit

*Grimmspeed EBCS

*Killer B uppipe 38mm Tial ewg

*Killer B header ceramic coated

*Killer b pan, baffle, pickup

*ID 1300cc injectors

*Fuelab 6 Micron filter

*Torque Solutions TGV

*Six Star rails, -6an lines, FPR

*Full Cobb e85 kit

*Visconti basket upgrade

*Walbro 485 pump

*DW hard wire kit

*South Bend stage 3 clutch

*IAG street AOS

*NGK Spark Plugs LFR7AIX

*Air pump block off kit

*Group N engine, trans mount

*SuperPro pitch stop

*Perrin brace for pitch stop

*DDS carbon fiber drive shaft

*SuperPro rear sway bar, endlinks

*superPro adjustable rear lower arms

*superpro adjustable toe arms

*superPro front sway bar endlinks

*SuperPro bushing all around

*Fortune Auto coiloves 9K swift springs

*Wedsport RN-05M 18x9.5 265 35 18 good year F1's



I got a 20 sti a while back and saw your post about your tuner made 650 on a stock block..... what did he say about the reliability of 400 whp on the stock block?
Blubarusti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #125
james-30
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 430450
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Indianapolis
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
I got a 20 sti a while back and saw your post about your tuner made 650 on a stock block..... what did he say about the reliability of 400 whp on the stock block?
You'll be just fine. There are so many guys now pushing mid 5's low 600 wheel with the RA block with no issues.
james-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.