Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday October 27, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #1
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default Canadian Engine Builder?

Looking for a shop in Canada to build my engine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
p0staldude
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 299478
Join Date: Oct 2011
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Montreal
Vehicle:
2008 WRX
Black

Default

Where are you located in Canada? I had a block machined at Lachute Performance and had a good experience
p0staldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:35 AM   #3
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0staldude View Post
Where are you located in Canada? I had a block machined at Lachute Performance and had a good experience
I'm in Alberta, but anywhere in Canada is fine. Our dollar is so terrible I can't afford to ship down south. I'm looking for someone with subaru experience to fully build an engine for me.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:47 AM   #4
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

In Alberta you have a few options

VEX performance
Techworks engineering
Lightspeed Innovations

Out side alberta,
Touge Tuning
Camjam
Lachute performance

This are the ones that stick out in my head but i am sure there are smaller shops that do them also.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
In Alberta you have a few options

VEX performance
Techworks engineering
Lightspeed Innovations

Out side alberta,
Touge Tuning
Camjam
Lachute performance

This are the ones that stick out in my head but i am sure there are smaller shops that do them also.
Has anyone had any experience with techworks, tougue, or canjam?
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
mopar3.0
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 261696
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: st johns nl
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
red

Default

tom at tech works did my engine lat year,
he seems very knowledgeable!
mopar3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

all 3 of those shops are very well known.

building subaru motors is pretty much the main thing Techworks does. Touge has a good rep and a few cars racing within the CSCS with their build motors. Canjam is a pretty big shop that has built rally cars and has a few cars running in the CSCS and also runs the CSCS time attack series.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
jacky4566
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358980
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

Rocket Rally in BC too.
jacky4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funk32 View Post
all 3 of those shops are very well known.

building subaru motors is pretty much the main thing Techworks does. Touge has a good rep and a few cars racing within the CSCS with their build motors. Canjam is a pretty big shop that has built rally cars and has a few cars running in the CSCS and also runs the CSCS time attack series.
Thanks. I'll give the guys at techworks a call tomorrow. Thanks for the input everyone.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
topfuelman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140036
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Techworks

Tom is "the" guy that is Techworks and he is very knowledgeable and capable of building Performance Subaru motors correctly. Don't hesitate to use him..speaking from experience.

Trevor P
Calgary
topfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #11
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuelman View Post
Tom is "the" guy that is Techworks and he is very knowledgeable and capable of building Performance Subaru motors correctly. Don't hesitate to use him..speaking from experience.

Trevor P
Calgary
Thanks Trevor. This car is my baby, so I am looking for 'the guy'. I'm in no hurry at all, so I'll research the shop as much as the parts.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #12
user1029
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57064
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle:
2008 STi IAG built
HTA86 E85 Kel272s Cos IM

Default

you got something against 'murica?
user1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

[quote=user1029;44012011]you got something against 'murica?[/QUOTE

Our dollar is doing is poorly and shipping isn't free.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
user1029
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57064
Join Date: Mar 2004
Vehicle:
2008 STi IAG built
HTA86 E85 Kel272s Cos IM

Default

we don't take kindly to you folk, just hope that ALOKIN from the United States of Texas doesn't catch wind of this
user1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #15
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
we don't take kindly to you folk, just hope that ALOKIN from the United States of Texas doesn't catch wind of this
You pick up the bill and I'll send it where ever you like
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
funk32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 245787
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
GD Race Car

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky4566 View Post
Rocket Rally in BC too.
Rocket Rally no long does public work. Focus is strictly on Pro Rally.
funk32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
Hyper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15822
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MOCKBA
Vehicle:
1999 WRB GM6
2.34 LR destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyjdirt View Post
Has anyone had any experience with techworks, tougue, or canjam?

canjam is the best shop in canada, just look at the cars they build
they are, however, always very busy
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:50 AM   #18
malin819
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 396879
Join Date: Jul 2014
Default

don't go to lachute lol
malin819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM   #19
Sylvain b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 43330
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Quebec city, Canada.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Titanium grey

Default ...

There is a new shop in Québec city named Freedom. They specialize in Subaru tuning for rally and time attack.
It is a new shop and they already have a good reputation. They are targeting the race car market more than the tuning market. If this is what you need, contact them!

Freedom inc.
324-8, Laurier street, St-Apollinaire QC G0S 2E0
Phone : 418-881-2788
Email : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyShop
Sylvain b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:38 PM   #20
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvain b View Post
There is a new shop in Québec city named Freedom. They specialize in Subaru tuning for rally and time attack.
It is a new shop and they already have a good reputation. They are targeting the race car market more than the tuning market. If this is what you need, contact them!

Freedom inc.
324-8, Laurier street, St-Apollinaire QC G0S 2E0
Phone : 418-881-2788
Email : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/FreedomRallyShop
I'll check them out thanks.
I am leery of new shops though, many problems in the past. Need someone established.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
Dirtyjdirt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 314039
Join Date: Mar 2012
Vehicle:
2007 Sti Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malin819 View Post
don't go to lachute lol
Thanks.
Dirtyjdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
zugu
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 77863
Join Date: Dec 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: FL
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper View Post
canjam is the best shop in canada, just look at the cars they build
they are, however, always very busy
Agreed, they did my cousins full motor build year before last and the car is still running strong.
zugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
Sylvain b
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 43330
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Quebec city, Canada.
Vehicle:
1993 Impreza L
Titanium grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyjdirt View Post
I'll check them out thanks.
I am leery of new shops though, many problems in the past. Need someone established.
Yes I understand. There is always a risk. Call them. If you can pass beyond the french accent, you should be ok
Sylvain b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #24
Delphi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 239335
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default

In the west don't touch Lightspeed Innovations with a 100ft pole.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #25
I--RIDE--BIKES
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279176
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Vehicle:
2006 Sti
SGM

Default

^^^^^^^ I've heard quite a few horror stories about light speed.
I--RIDE--BIKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.