Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-11-2021, 01:31 AM   #1
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Default Mishimoto TMIC

Been eyeing this. My stock TMIC is trashed. It looks like the previous owner set the TMIC down on the floor, then stored a set of tires on top of the core. The fins are bent over, and just smashed.

So, how difficult is it to get a bellows for the larger size core for a bigger TMIC? Am I going to have to DIY a bellows for it? I'd like the larger core due to running higher boost, as well. Planning on bumping it up to 20 PSI this summer if I can get a good wideband and an exhaust installed.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2021, 07:12 AM   #2
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

I would source a good used OEM TMIC. It performs way better than the one you're considering.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:27 PM   #3
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
I would source a good used OEM TMIC. It performs way better than the one you're considering.
It performs way better at the stock 8 or 9 PSI, but I'm going to be pushing 20+ through a TD04, with less taper. General consensus is that that can heatsoak the stock TMIC, so a larger core is preferred?

I would put an STi TMIC in, I see them pop up occasionally, but... The Baja/Forester core is really hard to find in good condition.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #4
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 198281
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_San View Post
It performs way better at the stock 8 or 9 PSI,
No it won't. Not at 8psi or 20psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi_San View Post
I would put an STi TMIC in, I see them pop up occasionally, but... The Baja/Forester core is really hard to find in good condition.
^ This is the best bang-for-the-buck TMIC upgrade. Skip the other for sure!
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
No it won't. Not at 8psi or 20psi

^ This is the best bang-for-the-buck TMIC upgrade. Skip the other for sure!
Alrighty, I'll call this guy in SFO with a STi TMIC and see if it's still available.

Still, how do I get a baffle to get flow to the entire core, and not just a section of it? I'm guessing get some weather stripping, wrap it around the outer edge of the core, then trim it to fit up against the hood?
Old 03-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Decided to get an exhaust before doing anything else, at this point.

Maybe I should do a build/project thread? I'm getting that itch to put together a motor for this thing. And toss a 6MT in it.

Or, I could get AT tires. Decisions...
Old 03-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
Winterhawk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463763
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

20 psi with a TD04? Personally I'd keep the engine stock and keep the 5 speed and spend money on suspension and tires. Sounds like your leaning toward A/T tires, so maybe you're thinking of a lift as well? Tuning, and 6 speed conversion is not cheap. On a WRX I see the appeal, but on a Baja I personally would not bother. I have a 2002 WRX, but thinking of buying a Baja because it would work for me the way it was intended. Once you start down the path of modifying the engine, converting to 6 speed, you'll want to upgrade the brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, etc. I don't want to discourage you, but from experience, if you want performance go down the WRX or STi route, if you want a Baja leave it stock unless you want a little more off road capability.
Winterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:00 AM   #8
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk View Post
20 psi with a TD04? Personally I'd keep the engine stock and keep the 5 speed and spend money on suspension and tires. Sounds like your leaning toward A/T tires, so maybe you're thinking of a lift as well? Tuning, and 6 speed conversion is not cheap. On a WRX I see the appeal, but on a Baja I personally would not bother. I have a 2002 WRX, but thinking of buying a Baja because it would work for me the way it was intended. Once you start down the path of modifying the engine, converting to 6 speed, you'll want to upgrade the brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, etc. I don't want to discourage you, but from experience, if you want performance go down the WRX or STi route, if you want a Baja leave it stock unless you want a little more off road capability.
20PSI through a TD04 isn't impossible. I'm already pushing 17PSI through it, no issues. My 2002 WRX went from 80,000 miles to 190,000 miles, with the stock TD04 pushing 17 PSI...

I'm getting AT tires for going offroad. I'm also going to get a set of 17" wheels and some UHP Summer tires for summer. And I've got a set of 16" WRX wheels (from my old WRX, none-the-less) for my winter tires. Planned upgrades are: brakes (slotted rotors, for driving off road), 6MT for reliability, better gearing, and overall... I just want it; Probably a TD05 18G, TGV deletes, top feed injectors, and eventually... Valve springs, valves, and cams.

I would love to 'leave it stock', but that's not how I roll. I go off road enough that a WRX or STi would require more work to modify to make it work off road, than it is to just bump up the power/performance on the Baja. The Baja I have already has a compromised transmission, the previous owner or the previous owner's kids de-toothed first gear, so it's been rebuilt already. I've broken an axle, as well. I know the gearbox in this thing is crap, so I want to replace that with something that's less likely to break in the future.

I know I won't be happy with a WRX; off road, I was always nervous of breaking my old one, and often times, I had to turn around or find alternative routes for almost insignificant obstacles, whereas, with a stock suspension, my Baja just goes right over them. Plus, a WRX would be just as much, if not more, work than my Baja, since I'd have to start from square one with the WRX.

And STI's... Just can't even find 'em. I can't afford a newer one, and the old STi's are so beat up, they really aren't worth it.

My decisions to upgrade components are mostly based on my experience. I know that the transmission is compromised, but I also know that the center coupler is either weak, or broken in the Baja. With no tune, going up a steep hill in the dirt, it would just spin a front tire instead of moving. Pulling the center diff out to replace it is really easy, I replaced the center diff in my WRX in less than 2 hours. The problem is, can I really justify to myself spending $600 on parts, to replace something I'm confident I will wear out or break within the next 2-3 years? Going with an STi gearbox gives me a better center diff, I'll be swapping the R180 as well, plus, I get Spec B axles (another thing I'm worried about with the current setup), and on top of that, I get a first gear that's almost the same as my current first gear, but I get a longer second through fifth, and then a Sixth on top of it. I drove I80 recently, and the Baja was screaming at 3,500RPM at 80MPH, and I got a whopping 13MPG.

So, overall, a massive improvement.

I don't have the room for two vehicles, though, I am considering running the Baja as a winter/off road rig, and getting a sportbike as a summer/commuter ride...

Thanks for posting, I actually wanted to get some of my thoughts out, just for myself... I bought this Baja to tinker with it. It took me a really long time to get it to even run correctly, and now that I'm having fun in it, instead of fighting weird, obnoxious, and even possibly intentional problems, I can focus on turning it into a reliable commuter that is more than sufficient for fun times on the weekend.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
Max_kj
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 523143

I would get a new oem for a cheap price or u can get a good aftermarket one for around 600$
Max_kj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_kj View Post
I would get a new oem for a cheap price or u can get a good aftermarket one for around 600$
Yeah, gonna get a used STI TMIC.