Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 10, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-27-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
lennyTR
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (11)

Member#: 142379
Vehicle:
2007 WRX TR
Satin White Pearl

Default 2007 WRX TR w/ spt short shifter linkage, with Cobb adjustable shifter

Ok, now this is the second review I've written about a shifter installed with my spt short shifter linkage. First review (kartboy) is here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hlight=kartboy

So having already tried the kartboy and not being real happy with it, I immediately wanted to try the Cobb, because it was adjustable and would allow me to make it as short as I want, and also because the shifter lever itself is perfectly straight up and down. It has no bends, like the stock and kartboy shifter do.

1. Install was again very easy. Took me about 10 minutes this time. All you need is grease, 12mm socket and wrench, and a small screwdriver to pry the bushing out. I cannot stress enough the importance of having a plastic dead-blow hammer. It only takes a couple of hits with that thing to get the shifter to pop into place.

2. Because it is adjustable, you can continue to mess with it until you get the shift throw that is short enough for you, and also the height of the knob. However, depending on what type of knob you use, you may be only to make it so short...I have the stock TR knob, and if I adjust it too short, the knob doesn't screw down tight all the way onto the shifter, because it is hitting the top of the main body of the Cobb shifter.

3. If you want to get the most out of the adjustability, you need to remove the metal trim that surrounds the shifter, and cut out the top left corner. This part of the install took me about 15 minutes with a dremel. Not hard at all, and not a big deal to me if I want short shifts.

I am definitely happy with the Cobb shifter. The shifts are now noticeably better than the stock lever, and also the kartboy lever. I highly recommend the Cobb adjustable shifter, and it is definitely worth the $30 extra compared to the Kartboy.

I haven't had any problems yet with the shifter coming loose at the allen screw.

If you have the SPT shifter linkage and aren't happy with it, buy the Cobb.

Hope that helps.
lennyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links