Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #1
jkenna860
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369375
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Sedona Red Pearl

Default 2005 Foerster XT EJ255 Valve Clearance Dilemma!

Hey guys,

So had my heads machined and all of the exhaust valves were toast so had them replaced, valve seats were super pitted so machinist did a full valve job for me. Came out great as usual. I have gotten a lot of heads machined by him for other Subarus in the past.

So here we are today. Installed the heads and then began measuring the valve clearances for adjustment. One of the exhaust valves measured at 0.003" with a 0.1924" thick bucket.

Here is the issue. With those measurements, it would be required to use a bucket that is 0.1816" thick and the smallest bucket in the FSM is 0.1843" thick.

Calculating with the information obtained would yield a clearance that is 0.002" too tight. Based on the tolerance (+/- 0.0008").

I really don't want to have to take off the head again because I feel like I would have to buy another head gasket and bring the head back to the machine shop. The only thing I can think of to remedy this issue is to take off a couple thousandths of an inch from the valve stem though.

Is there any other way to approach this problem??

Thank you,
-Jon
jkenna860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #2
tomacGTi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297396

You can either tip the bucket or tip the valves. Easiest would be to tip the buckets.

I've tipped the valves installed before because I was in a pinch (not recommended). You can do a search and someone used a small lathe to grind the buckets to required spec.

Best way: If you have all of the numbers, have your machinist tip the bucket or buckets.

-Randy
tomacGTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
jkenna860
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 369375
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX
Sedona Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomacGTi View Post
You can either tip the bucket or tip the valves. Easiest would be to tip the buckets.

I've tipped the valves installed before because I was in a pinch (not recommended). You can do a search and someone used a small lathe to grind the buckets to required spec.

Best way: If you have all of the numbers, have your machinist tip the bucket or buckets.

-Randy
Hey Randy,

Oh okay, I wasn't sure if that would be an option because I was thinking the bucket could be hardened steel. I'll take a bucket over to him later this week and get some material cut off! Thank you very much for your input!

Must have been an extremely delicate procedure cutting the valve stem while the head was Installed! Lol

Thanks again,
-Jon
jkenna860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:50 AM   #4
jrigby
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 256134
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo 6MT

I did the same thing you did. Look on the next page in the service manual and you will see buckets down to .1724 why Subaru didn't sort them by size I will never know.

Hope that helps

13228 AB811 4.60 (0.1811)
13228 AB821 4.62 (0.1819)
jrigby is offline   Reply With Quote