Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Bowtie4Life
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 387265
Default 2000 2.5 Legacy GT Manual Drivetrain into 1999 2.5 (30k Motor) Legacy GT Automatic

The Cars:
1999 Legacy 2.5 GT Automatic with a JDM Imported motor.
Donor Car (Wrecked) 2000 Legacy 2.5 GT 5 Speed Manual (No motor is the wreck cracked the block)
The idea: Make the 1999 Legacy AUTOMATIC into a 5 Speed Manual

1999 Legacy 2.5 GT:
Just got one of those import from Japan motors (50k or something?). I want to get a full identification on this JDM motor that I just put into this 1999. I know for a fact it is a 2.5. Where can I find the identification code or serial number? I did transfer the old intake manifold (Old motor had a knock) to the JDM one I installed. to I am currently having overheating issues that I am going to sort out tomorrow. Probably Tstat..... And head gaskets, well lets not think about those issues just yet...... Just the manual swap.

2000 Legacy 2.5 GT 5 speed
My daughter wrecked it. I think the center console and all is still in tact, if not I am sure I can fab her current 99 Console. Will the transmission bolt to the existing JDM motor that is in the 99? I know I would also need to get the clutch pedal assembly, figure out the key lock, Slave cylinder and etc. Will I have any computer issues considering I am putting a Manual transmission into an auto ECU? Where can I locate the identification codes on both the 99 and 00 for the transmission so I know exactly what I have?

Heres a picture of the donor car.
(Btw she didn't even have a scratch, just a major concussion and bruising from seatbelts and airbags Can see more about that in this thread

Last edited by Bowtie4Life; 05-21-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Bowtie4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4562
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Transmission ID code should be on the bellhousing. Typically it's a silver sticker with black lettering.

As for the overheating, are you sure the cooling system is fully bled? These can take awhile to get all the air out. Water pump usually does not cause overheating until it siezes. Headgaskets usually just seep externally. Tstat is another culprit, use OEM Subaru for that (they're cheap and work perfectly every time)

Edit: RE the headgaskets, the SOHC ones seep, the early DOHC ones will overheat and cause all sorts of issues.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
Bowtie4Life
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
Transmission ID code should be on the bellhousing. Typically it's a silver sticker with black lettering.

As for the overheating, are you sure the cooling system is fully bled? These can take awhile to get all the air out. Water pump usually does not cause overheating until it siezes. Headgaskets usually just seep externally. Tstat is another culprit, use OEM Subaru for that (they're cheap and work perfectly every time)

Edit: RE the headgaskets, the SOHC ones seep, the early DOHC ones will overheat and cause all sorts of issues.
This is a DOHC 2.5

Edit: Going to Subaru to pick up a T-stat tomorrow. Will make sure all air bubbles are out of the system. Whats the best way to do this? Also I have a coolant system pressure checker that I'll put to use to see if I have any leaks. Also worst comes to worst, run a exhaust chemical test on it. (Put onto the radiator cap and it sucks air looking for exhaust gasses and changes green if they are present)

Last edited by Bowtie4Life; 05-21-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:44 PM   #4
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Sorry, I was not quite following you there for a minute.

I thought you were putting a JDM 99 engine into the 2000 Legacy (JDM 99 is USDM 2000)

USDM 99 and USDM 2000 are completely different cars. ECM, TCU, wiring etc.... is totally different.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Bowtie4Life
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
Sorry, I was not quite following you there for a minute.

I thought you were putting a JDM 99 engine into the 2000 Legacy (JDM 99 is USDM 2000)

USDM 99 and USDM 2000 are completely different cars. ECM, TCU, wiring etc.... is totally different.
Fixed original post. Maybe makes more sense now?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Ok,

Transmission, clutch, flywheel etc.... all bolt up.

The pedal box is a maybe (I honestly have no clue)

ECM will work, but you will need to ground the neutral safety switch pin on the ECM to make it work, or you can get an ECM from a manual trans car.

Driveshaft I'm 99% sure is going to be different length. Get a manual trans driveshaft from a legacy of the same year as yours.

Center console will not fit, but the original one will, just need to get a shift boot. Probably cheaper / easier to grab a manual trans one from a wrecking yard.

Shift linkage I'm pretty sure will bolt on no problem. While it's apart you might as well get some new shifter bushings from Kartboy. The original Legacy ones are soft to begin with and are likely shot by now.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Subie-Lifer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 344958
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
silver

They lived.
They lived
SUBARU