Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
The Reno Wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 461644
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Default First Build Problems, HELP

Hey Guys,

I just replaced my head gaskets within the last month on my EJ 255 and I am already having issues. I pulled the engine and replaced the OEM gaskets with Felpro gaskets and went from stretch bolts to ARP head studs. I changed the timing belt out, put a new thermostat in dropped a stage 2 Southbend clutch and a Grimspeed light weight pulley and added a Perrin CAI.

As of now I am losing coolant somewhere. At first I thought it was an air pocket in the system so I burped it again. It was good for about a week, then I started to lose heat through the heater and just today the engine started to get hot. I got home and checked the coolant and it was low. I know there wasn't an air pocket that big in the system. Ive also noticed a hot coolant smell coming from my car, its not overpowering but it definitely smells slightly sweet in my cabin from time to time, and it also permeates the garage after I get home. Its slightly cold where I live (35-45 degrees), but I consistently also have what looks like steam/condensation coming out of my exhaust even when the engine is at temp. Its not white just looks like steam but it is still making me worry.

I am also throwing a P013A code for lean to rich coming from the secondary sensor bank. I running rich and in desperate need of a tune but could this be exasperated by what I am describing with the coolant.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated.
The Reno Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 07:49 PM   #2
Turn in Concepts
Former Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Did you check the flatness of the heads before putting it back together?

Did you use the correct head gasket for your model of heads?

What did you torque the studs to?

When you had it apart did you very carefully check the cylinders for cracks or a shifted liner?

The coolant has to be going somewhere. If you cannot find an external leak then I would recommend getting one of those neat-o exhaust gasses in the coolant tester bulb deals.
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
revlimit408
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 407008
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 2.1 stroker
fpgreen htz v9 sti 6speed

do the basic first . pressure check your cooling system, check if its holding pressure . coolant smell inside the cabin might be leaking heater core . p013a is your downstream 02 sensor . dead or lazy sensor , exhaust leak and aftermarket downpipe will cause the tdc to turn on. no tune for cold air intake will make you run lean not rich .
revlimit408 is offline   Reply With Quote