Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15510
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

Default Need help with timing belt.

I have a 94 ej20. Im trying to get the 02wrx timing belt on it. Ive compared the 2 and they have the same number of teeth and all of the timing mark lines on the belts match up so im sure they are the same. I am having a hell of a time getting the belt on there and all the marks lined up. I have the pre 97 service manual and im not having any luck with that. Basically the instructions say line the gears up and put the belt on starting with the crank pulley and ending with the passenger side exhaust cam gear. Getting the belt on without moving the driver side came gears is impossible so far. Ive tried clamping the gears together to keep them from moving but i cant get it on. I need some advice theres gotta be trick or osmething to getting this thing on. Thanks
Norcalrallyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Storm
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5218
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Use a pr. of vicegrips on the driver cam gear once the belt is in position to hold it inplace on the mark, light tension of course. Or pull the valve covers and put a big crescent on the cam. Another set of hands comes in real handy for this but you can also get by with one hand holding the pulley(or wrench) and the other routing the belt. You can also pull the middle cam bearing cap and put a piece of paper/cardboard in and snug it up....just don't forget to remove it before buttoning things up. I like to keep the idler pulleys nice and loose too. Once it's routed, then I'll tighten the pulleys and then set the tensioner.

Jay Storm
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

I tried using grips on both sides but when i put the belt on the last idler pulley, bottom left next to pass exhaust cam gear, it rotates the driver side gears.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold
Subaru-less :(

which idler are you taking out?
it make A huge diff ...
do you have the fsm pages?

IIRC its best to put the tensioner in with the pin in bolt it down and take out the lower left pulley
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

I didnt take any idler pulleys out.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

I installed the tensioner bolted in but not tightened.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #7
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

Like Jaxx...I find it easiest to leave that lower left idler very loose or off altogether while routing the belt. Once it's routed, hold the right side intake gear steady while you tighten the lower left idler. It's a PIA...but not impossible. Once everything is torqued down, pull the pin on the tensioner and rotate the motor through 4-5 cycles to make sure the timing marks (not belt marks) still line up okay.

Double check the bolts on the cam pulleys....I learned what happens when you get in a rush and forget to torque those puppies.....

Jay Storm
Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

I think I got it on. Taking that pulley off really helped. Right now the cam gears are lined up when the crank gear is slightly before 12 oclock position. I used the marks on the timing belt and took the pulley off etc and if i was to move the crank gear one tooth forward it would be slightly forward of hte 12 oclock position so i figure this must be right.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Storm
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96L Most Over-
Developed Beater

If memory serves....this sounds right on the money!

Jay Storm
Old 07-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

*cross fingers*

Last edited by Norcalrallyist; 07-06-2006 at 05:19 PM.