Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2019, 08:22 AM   #2101
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
Aerodynamics makes a huge difference. Lower cars do better, and boxy cars do worse, so the Forester XT is gonna lose a lot vs the WRX.
You'd think that. But they both have similar CoG for like (same) years. ~.33/.34

--kC
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #2102
subyski
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 202642
Join Date: Nov 2007
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Centennial, Colorado
Vehicle:
08 Impreza,80Vette
68 Impala, 15 SantaFe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
You'd think that. But they both have similar CoG for like (same) years. ~.33/.34

--kC
Did you mean Cd?
subyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #2103
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

I think the CVT needs a very specific situation to achieve its claimed mpg
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM   #2104
SeeeeeYa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2017 FXT-T ES
SBM/SBL

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
I think the CVT needs a very specific situation to achieve its claimed mpg
Yup.

Being operated by experienced feet.

My FXTís gas mileage is always above ratings... except when I donít care. Then itís average.
SeeeeeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #2105
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Man you don't have to be so condescending.

Can't we just agree that not everyone has ideal situations? I've driven through all 50 states and I promise you that some climate and highway/road combos are better suited for improved gas mileage over others. That probably includes quality of fuel too.

On my big moving road trip from Alaska to MA next month I'm challenging myself to not go above 75 mph and I'm going to seek out primarily Costco gas along my route as it's top tier rated and about $0.40 cheaper per gallon. Wish me good fortune!
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #2106
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeeeeYa View Post
Yup.

Being operated by experienced feet.

My FXTís gas mileage is always above ratings... except when I donít care. Then itís average.
Congratulations on being the exception to the statistics? Like I said SEVEN MILLION MILES of real world tracking on fuelly coming in with an overall average below the epa rating of 23 city disagree with you. I mean I guess you drive really slow or live somewhere really flat.
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #2107
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

His profile says both West Virginia and MAIC, so I dunno. Are you still in upstate NY? All them places have hills regardless, so I have no clue how any people's numbers could be that different from each other besides driving habits.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:50 PM   #2108
SeeeeeYa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2017 FXT-T ES
SBM/SBL

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
Congratulations on being the exception to the statistics? Like I said SEVEN MILLION MILES of real world tracking on fuelly coming in with an overall average below the epa rating of 23 city disagree with you. I mean I guess you drive really slow or live somewhere really flat.
Going by what I see on the roads everyday, I donít want to be average. The majority of drivers suck. Once in a rare while I note one whose driving is polished. Absolutely no surprise at all, your statistics... but Iíll repeat: Itís not the car OR Subaruís fault. The ratings are for the car. Your stats are for the people.

West Virginia? Flat?
SeeeeeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #2109
gfxguy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 316583
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle area
Vehicle:
2014 STI Hatch
ISM

Default

If you never get the engine into boost you can get decent milage with the FA20. But then what's the point?
gfxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #2110
SeeeeeYa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2017 FXT-T ES
SBM/SBL

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeeeeYa View Post
Going by what I see on the roads everyday, I donít want to be average. The majority of drivers suck. Once in a rare while I note one whose driving is polished. Absolutely no surprise at all, your statistics... but Iíll repeat: Itís not the car OR Subaruís fault. The ratings are for the car. Your stats are for the people.

West Virginia? Flat?
ď2014, geographers published a definitive ranking of each state from flattest to hilliest. In the study, Florida ranked as the flattest state while West Virginia took the title of hilliest.Ē

http://mapamericana.com/2018/06/09/f...test-counties/
SeeeeeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #2111
SeeeeeYa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 129681
Join Date: Oct 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WV
Vehicle:
2017 FXT-T ES
SBM/SBL

Default

It's also no surprise that Mts compared to CVTs get better gas mileage... for multiple reasons, a big one being that MT drivers are more in tune with the engine and drivetrain. While CVT drivers are not so much, and just want results... never considering loads, gearing, throttle angle, or vacuum/boost conditions. Not to mention the invisible torque converter. But it's not the vehicle, it's only the instrument. It's the driver who deserves the rating result.

Having most of my driving experience in MT vehicles and motorcycles, and due mainly to the later, I drive what is called a Pace. It separates me from the traffic and the road, a boat in the channel, a loaner among the flock, executing a preplanned agenda. A magic carpet on a bike, a journey through obstacles in a cage.

Nope. Not now nor ever aspire to be average. Hate the stats.
SeeeeeYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #2112
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Man you don't have to be so condescending.

Can't we just agree that not everyone has ideal situations? I've driven through all 50 states and I promise you that some climate and highway/road combos are better suited for improved gas mileage over others. That probably includes quality of fuel too.

On my big moving road trip from Alaska to MA next month I'm challenging myself to not go above 75 mph and I'm going to seek out primarily Costco gas along my route as it's top tier rated and about $0.40 cheaper per gallon. Wish me good fortune!
I haven't had that good of experience with Costco gas. It's not bad, but I can feel a power difference if I get gas at QuikTrip or even BJ's. Both my cars just feel more powerful with QT & BJ's gas.

The perk to getting gas at BJ's is that price is comparable to Costco BEFORE the 10-cents-per-gallon discount for having their credit card, and the gas seems better. That 10-cent discount, just for my commuting fuel, covers my BJ's membership for the year.

I think Costco must have a higher alcohol content.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:30 AM   #2113
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeeeeYa View Post
Going by what I see on the roads everyday, I donít want to be average. The majority of drivers suck. Once in a rare while I note one whose driving is polished. Absolutely no surprise at all, your statistics... but Iíll repeat: Itís not the car OR Subaruís fault. The ratings are for the car. Your stats are for the people.

West Virginia? Flat?
If that's the case why is the wrx getting above it's EPA ratings and the Forester below? Shouldn't WRX owners be driving harder than Forester owners based on your extremely simple and obvious observations?
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #2114
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subyski View Post
Did you mean Cd?
Yes. That's exactly what I meant. Not sure where that other one came from.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM   #2115
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Come on guys. I think some of you have been around long enough to have a grasp on this guy’s shtik. Why are you taking the bait?
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #2116
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

its tasty bait
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #2117
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Blackstone, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
I haven't had that good of experience with Costco gas. It's not bad, but I can feel a power difference if I get gas at QuikTrip or even BJ's. Both my cars just feel more powerful with QT & BJ's gas.

The perk to getting gas at BJ's is that price is comparable to Costco BEFORE the 10-cents-per-gallon discount for having their credit card, and the gas seems better. That 10-cent discount, just for my commuting fuel, covers my BJ's membership for the year.

I think Costco must have a higher alcohol content.
Interesting. Definitely for Alaskans, Shell is the #1 preferred gas for Subie owners. Chevron ain't bad either. Not everyone has Costco memberships, but since it's Top Tier it's usually recommended. If I had a performance car I'd only get Shell though.

I didn't even know QT and BJs existed until a few years ago when I started messing around with the east coast, eventually moving there. I didn't realize their gas was that high a quality too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
its tasty bait
It's true. It's rather delicious.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:08 PM   #2118
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

Just added a 2016 sienna to the fleet (because three row SUVs are pointless, sorry ascent owners lol). We'll see if I can match the 18/25 rating.
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #2119
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
Just added a 2016 sienna to the fleet (because three row SUVs are pointless, sorry ascent owners lol). We'll see if I can match the 18/25 rating.
I can regularly beat my Sedona's rated 25 hwy if I keep it under 80. I had it up near 30 once driving like a granny at 60-65.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #2120
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

I came really close to buying a sedona, very impressed with kia lately
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #2121
Sub!eDr!ver
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 88924
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Vehicle:
2014 Cadenza, Sedona
Past: Tribeca LGTx2 Justy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery GT-5 View Post
I came really close to buying a sedona, very impressed with kia lately
I've really been enjoying mine for the last 3 years or so.

Being an SX, I have most of the toys: heated & cooled front seats, heated 2nd row seats, 8-pass option, rear cross-traffic detection, lane departure warning, blind-spot detection, 360-degree surround view camera, heated steering wheel, two-tone perforated leather seats (looks really sharp, and comfortable), power folding mirrors (auto-tilt-down in reverse), power side doors, power lift-gate with proximity detection (just walk up to it with the fob in your pocket and it'll open without touching (after 3 beeps)), keyless entry w/ push-button start, AA & Carplay, and more.

I think the only options I didn't get was dual sunroofs, 19" chrome wheels, and the airline recliners with leg-rests (and Nappa leather) that you get in the SX-L.

I think the Sedona is a really well-designed and well-appointed vehicle.
Sub!eDr!ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #2122
Celery GT-5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 98210
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2016 Forester XT CWP
2002 WRX SRP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub!eDr!ver View Post
I've really been enjoying mine for the last 3 years or so.

Being an SX, I have most of the toys: heated & cooled front seats, heated 2nd row seats, 8-pass option, rear cross-traffic detection, lane departure warning, blind-spot detection, 360-degree surround view camera, heated steering wheel, two-tone perforated leather seats (looks really sharp, and comfortable), power folding mirrors (auto-tilt-down in reverse), power side doors, power lift-gate with proximity detection (just walk up to it with the fob in your pocket and it'll open without touching (after 3 beeps)), keyless entry w/ push-button start, AA & Carplay, and more.

I think the only options I didn't get was dual sunroofs, 19" chrome wheels, and the airline recliners with leg-rests (and Nappa leather) that you get in the SX-L.

I think the Sedona is a really well-designed and well-appointed vehicle.
Yeah it's amazing how many features Kia jams in there. Telluride is really nice too.
Celery GT-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #2123
keepclam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 120244
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Everett, WA
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy SE Sedan
2006 Legacy GT Ltd Wagon

Default

Iím watching Ascent numbers carefully over the rest of the year to see if KIA (and later Hyundai) appear to have an impact.
keepclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #2124
SubaruImpreza_power
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 13910
Join Date: Jan 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Greenwich, CT
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
blue

Default

I've been a Subaru person for over 20 years but now with a 10 year old and a 7 month old and another one on the way I need something larger.. the ascent is nice but the wife liked the Hyundai Palisade features better for the price.

I and others are waiting for the crash data info to come out.
SubaruImpreza_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:00 AM   #2125
pcampbell
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 437670
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: VT
Vehicle:
2005 2.5 SC OB

Default Subaru Ascent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruImpreza_power View Post
I've been a Subaru person for over 20 years but now with a 10 year old and a 7 month old and another one on the way I need something larger.. the ascent is nice but the wife liked the Hyundai Palisade features better for the price.

I and others are waiting for the crash data info to come out.


Msg me if you go for an Ascent for Ambassador advice. Your inbox is full.

Last edited by pcampbell; 07-13-2019 at 08:17 AM.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.