Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Joshmath
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 328566
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
2010 Scoobie WRX
OBP

Default Having some knock readings, need advice.

Hello everyone, I am tuned on a COBB 91 octane shelf map, but can only use 90 octane because I live in Alaska and that is all we have. I decided it would be interesting to log in a morning run with the engine warmed up on my way to work. What I found was a little bit of feedback knock that I have never had in my countless other tests, does this look scary or should I not worry about it? Getting it tuned other than a third party tune is not an option for me as i am 300+ miles away from a tuner. No dyno in Alaska.

https://docs.google.com/a/alaska.edu...4Ny00OXc#gid=0

Lemme know what you guys think, thanks!
Joshmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321571
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

No expert, however what I have learned through reading and research is that you had one knock event (row 36, -1.4) and the others (row 37 - 45, -1.4 thru -.35) are the ECU learning back to 0. I would try to get a couple more logs in 3rd from 2K - 6K (redlineish) and see what happens. It may just be a bad tank of gas. Mine was doing the same thing around the middle of a WOT run in 3rd. Since then I have been through a tank or so of gas and it has gone away. Hope this helps and I'm sure Bill (cobb tuning) will be around sooner than later with his advice.
SouthernWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Joshmath
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 Scoobie WRX
OBP

thanks southern, appreciate the post, do you mean bad gas as in bad octane or just bad gas?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
SouthernWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321571
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Base
Ice Silver

I'd just think bad gas. If you wanted you could always add a bottle of octane booster. They usually all say "108 Octane", however they actually only take you up about 3 points. Honestly I would just continue to do some live logging while driving and watch it. What year is the car and how long have you been running the map?
SouthernWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Joshmath
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 Scoobie WRX
OBP

it's a 2010 subaru WRX and I have been running the car for the whole summer so about 3 months since I have bought it on that tune. Noticed a lot of very small -1.4 correction knocks but never on the feedback knock side so that was interesting to see. I bought the car and it was stage 2 tuned and the owner had it to that tune. I may be over boosting a bit though, getting up to 18 psi when my tune says I should only get up to 16.8 and trickle down to 14 by redline.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
bacalhau16
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 297565
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
Silver

In your case, bad gas and bad octane is one in the same. 90octane just sucks. Perhaps an e-tune would be best for you. Torque Performance is what i used. Perhaps call them, explain your situation and go from there. Its usually about $80 from them. Gained reliability and perhaps even performance.
bacalhau16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Joshmath
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2010 Scoobie WRX
OBP

thanks bacal I'm going to look straight into that!