Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday August 15, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-12-2002, 10:39 PM   #1
ScrappyWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12558
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Please Advise--WRX looks Under-tired with stock 16x6.5--What are my best Options??

Ok.....

I've had the WRX for two months now, been searching around for wheel info because something just isn't right with the look of the stock 16x6.5 WRX wheels and RE92's. I've decided the car "looks" under-tired....the tires dont fill the wheelwells top to bottom and dont get close to the edge of the fender flares....Is the problem the wheel size, tire size, or a combination???

I'm looking for summer wheels, and want to get something that looks better, fills the car out a bit more and does something for the styling.

I've got a set of new RE92s that I wanted to use (16"), but will consider other options. My only real concern with running a 17 is that I drive gravel roads from time to time (TSD) and Michigan roads are full of potholes, and I dont want to run a real low-profile tire/wheel combo that is succeptable to bending wheels at every turn.

Will a Moda R2 16x7 with a 50mm offset look better than the stock WRX wheel (fill the wheelwells better) while not stressing front end components?

Would '00-'01 RS2.5 wheels be better?

Or, would I be better with a 17, and if so, who makes reasonably priced ones??

Thank you!

Ben
ScrappyWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
BIGSKYWRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7958
Vehicle:
09 GH B+

Scrappy,

The only two ways to fill the wheel wells top top to bottom is taller tires- not good choice- will effect your gearing negatively or lower your vehicle w/ lowering springs or coilovers.

16's would be a better choice for gravel (more sidewall) but if it's just occasional, a quality 17" wheel would more than suffice.

Any wheel w/ a 5X100 bolt pattern w/ 48-53mm of offset will work and not negatively stress any suspension components.

Tire width, you don't mention sedan or wagon, but if sedan several people are running 225/50/16 tires on the stock rim (7 or 7.5 width would be better though).

RS wheels fit fine (they are 16X7).

If your budget is limited tire upgrades will yield much more bang for the buck. The OE rim is actually a pretty good rim- strong, relatively light at ~ 16 lbs.

Big Sky WRX
BIGSKYWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 12:50 AM   #3
gtguy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2184
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT wagon
Platinum Silver Metallic

I just went to 16x7 wheels for my snows, and they do fill the wheel well out better than the 16.5s, for reasons that I have yet to be able to discern. They actually look like 17s. It's a pretty cool effect.

Note that I'm using the Fox 5s from Tire Rack, which are 50 offset. They aren't the lightest wheel, but for snow wheels, who cares?

For your needs, I think a 16x7 wheel would do quite nicely, though a sturdy 17" wheel like the P1 would also fit the bill.

Kevin
gtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 11:07 AM   #4
nhluhr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 7327
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2006 Wrangler Sport

like posted above, fitting some 225/50R16 tires to the stock WRX rims is a good way to go. The tires are about as big as you'd want to fit to the wheels so they look really meaty on there.
nhluhr is offline   Reply With Quote