Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-06-2008, 09:44 PM   #1
4bangersti
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 171148
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Black

Default My Emergency brake battery and rear diff temp light come on at the same time

I need help I dont know what to do just recently my Rear Differential Temp light, battery light and brake light all came on at the same time I dont know what it is?
Mods to car
FP Green Turbo
UP pipe
Down Pipe
Reflased chip
3in exhaust no cats
Tail External wastgate Dumped
Headers
ACT Clutch
Perrin Fuel Rail
4bangersti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Check the alternator belt to see if it's broken or slipping. If it is you won't have PS either.
If the belt is ok the alternator and/or battery may have taken a dump. Put a voltmeter across the battery and note the readings. With the car off a good battery should read 12.5V + or - a couple tenths. Running at idle, with the engine warmed up and no accessories on, should see about 13.5-14.5. If you turn some things on (lights, AC etc) the voltage should dip momentarily and then come back up if the alternator is taking the load properly.
Note that if there are bad diodes in the alternator, it's possible for the voltage to appear ok on a meter but the alternator will not be charging properly and can cause the symptoms you are having.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
sti07guy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 211021

has this happened to anyone else? because it has happened to me. all 3 at the same time. If it has happened to you, what solutions did you take or have to take?
sti07guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green USDM 22b

this just occured to me!
all 3 lites on.
my volt guage in the car reading 10v with lights on, 11v with lights off(low reading)
performed alternator test===>with veh running, remove neg battery terminal, car dies.
looks like my alt. took a dump

FYI i just bought a battery 4 months ago
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
AliBenn
Scooby Guru

Member#: 487
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1998 /2005 STunIcorn
Acadia Green USDM 22b

just slammed in a $125 AM alternator during lunch @ work.......im golden

new alt fixed all 3 lites
im driving home!
AliBenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliBenn View Post
performed alternator test===>with veh running, remove neg battery terminal, car dies.
Never do this. It was only a valid and safe test decades ago on cars with generators and no onboard electronics.
To test an alternator, use only a meter or scope or pull it and take it to a parts store or rebuild shop for testing.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote