Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #1
cameden
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496577
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default Jiffy Lube overfilled my Impreza with oil....and now....please help!

Newb here, so if I'm in the wrong place can someone please redirect me to the correct place. Anywhoo heres my story

Took my 2006, automatic, subaru impreza with ~170k to Jiffy Lube for a high milage signature service. Everything was running just fine prior to drop off. Service was done and when i went to drive it away is the trouble began. My car would rev up super high then kick into gear, get very little power and was acting very erratically. I made it to the walmart less than a quarter mile down the road. I restarted it and noticed a ton of white smoke, barely made it back to the Jiffy Lube, very high rpms with no power then suddenly kicking into gear, all sorts of messed up stuff it wasn't doing before. Upon returning they checked the oil and there was way to much in it....like double on the dipstick. They drained it, and refilled it. Bottom line is it still is acting very strange, not nearly as bad as initially but it seams to be having some serious transmission issues. It appears its only on initial start up from a stop, as in the higher gears at higher speeds it seams to be ok. it has stalled a few times while coming to a stop, something it never did ever before. Would serious overfilling cause any of these issues or is this some crazy coincidence?

Any help is greatly appreciated as i am at a loss for words as to what could have all the sudden made my near perfect running car all the sudden faacked.

Thank you all so much and i look forward to talking through this with y'all...
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
cameden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

They drained the transmission fluid, then filled the already filled crank case with 5 quarts of oil.

Get your transmission back up. Should have drained about 5 quarts, the way Jiffy Lube does it.

They have bought Subaru owners hundreds of transmissions because of the wonderful high school, never trained to be a mechanic morons. This is the reason that on manual transmissions, Subaru uses a T-70 Torx bolt. It's because morons don't own a T-70 torx wrench and they can't count that high anyways. It's an easy removal on an automatic with no silly T-70. They don't tend to be quite as motivated to figure out how to screw up looking and finding the trans drain bolt on an auto. But obviously, your moron found it.

Why the hell does anyone go to Jiffy Lube ever?

Oh....you should check if your trans drain bolt is now plastic. They always strip the bolt.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #3
subarumod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 468745
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: SoCAL
Vehicle:
06 wrx
black as your girls soul.

Default

I think its time to start watching a lot of youtube on how to do these things yourself. youll save money And feel good about yourself.. I cannot handle when they try to upsell you on stuff.. "we have this super special oil scent adder for only 29.99 more" For god sake just give me the oil and the filter and lets move on...

jiffy, midas, random shops make me sick to my stomach. Like, how in gods sake do you drive in for an $250 oil change and leave with a destroyed car.. Its not rocket science.

Whats messed up. Is now you really have to get under there. Or take it to a reputable place, so you can get evidence that they F'd your car.. Hope its a simple fix..

Last edited by Loyale93; 01-17-2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: swearing
subarumod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

You didn't really clarify if you had them do a trans change or a motor oil change?

Now I'm guessing trans but they didn't put any fluid back in?
If that's the case you'll have to make sure that is documented as running it with almost no fluid for a bit of time is pretty bad as you know.
sucks dude
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
They have bought Subaru owners hundreds of transmissions because of the wonderful high school, never trained to be a mechanic morons.
To be fair, you're not going to find certified mechanics changing oil anywhere unless you're talking about super high end cars and $20k oil changes.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #6
ssbonline
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 58705
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Philadelphia
Vehicle:
2005 wrx - 5 speed
Silver/Premium package

Default

Please don't take any cars to jiffylube.
ssbonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #7
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
They drained the transmission fluid, then filled the already filled crank case with 5 quarts of oil.

Get your transmission back up. Should have drained about 5 quarts, the way Jiffy Lube does it.

They have bought Subaru owners hundreds of transmissions because of the wonderful high school, never trained to be a mechanic morons. This is the reason that on manual transmissions, Subaru uses a T-70 Torx bolt. It's because morons don't own a T-70 torx wrench and they can't count that high anyways. It's an easy removal on an automatic with no silly T-70. They don't tend to be quite as motivated to figure out how to screw up looking and finding the trans drain bolt on an auto. But obviously, your moron found it.

Why the hell does anyone go to Jiffy Lube ever?

Oh....you should check if your trans drain bolt is now plastic. They always strip the bolt.
My BRZ's transmission drain and fill bolts required a 10mm hex wrench or bolt. IIRC, rear diff was the same. Very easy to do. But it's always the 10mm everyone is missing .
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
To be fair, you're not going to find certified mechanics changing oil anywhere unless you're talking about super high end cars and $20k oil changes.
Totally assuming a typo....even ANY high end car, I can't see a $20K/$20,000 oil change......



But, yes.......I have an issue with some local shops just removing/replacing a wheel.....
Doing, fluids.....sheesh.......

Since I am usually in my driveway, I pick days and inform customers on work.
It's 20*F and snowing, I can do it, but no price break (working in driveway), call me when 50*F and not raining, I am more flexible.

Yep, I stay away from most "quickie places"......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 11671
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Totally assuming a typo....even ANY high end car, I can't see a $20K/$20,000 oil change......
The Veyron supposedly has a $20k oil change. At most places, including reputable shops and dealerships, they've got a lube tech doing oil changes for $9/hr.
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM   #10
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
The Veyron supposedly has a $20k oil change. At most places, including reputable shops and dealerships, they've got a lube tech doing oil changes for $9/hr.
Subaru forum....WTF are you tying in a Veyron?!?!

Sheesh......

Crap, for that oil change, most of us are buying a new car......
GTFO with that comment......
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaastLegacy View Post
The Veyron supposedly has a $20k oil change. At most places, including reputable shops and dealerships, they've got a lube tech doing oil changes for $9/hr.
yeah I did hear there was a Lambo out there that costs around that much.
the dry sump system requires oil be removed from a half a dozen places, all completely encapsulated in underbody structural parts and aero coverings.
Basically nightmare disassembly just to get oil out.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #12
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Subaru forum....WTF are you tying in a Veyron?!?!
I think his point was nobody should be assuming Jiffy lube guys are skilled in any way, as apposed to guys who work on ultra high end cars on the other hand where even a guy doing oil changes is high skill
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:02 PM   #13
Turpid Porpoise
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 476573
Join Date: Oct 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2008 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
They drained the transmission fluid, then filled the already filled crank case with 5 quarts of oil.

Get your transmission back up. Should have drained about 5 quarts, the way Jiffy Lube does it.

They have bought Subaru owners hundreds of transmissions because of the wonderful high school, never trained to be a mechanic morons. This is the reason that on manual transmissions, Subaru uses a T-70 Torx bolt. It's because morons don't own a T-70 torx wrench and they can't count that high anyways. It's an easy removal on an automatic with no silly T-70. They don't tend to be quite as motivated to figure out how to screw up looking and finding the trans drain bolt on an auto. But obviously, your moron found it.

Why the hell does anyone go to Jiffy Lube ever?

Oh....you should check if your trans drain bolt is now plastic. They always strip the bolt.
^This. Never go to Jiffy Lube. The last time I went there they left my oil cap lying on top of the motor and it got jammed in the drive belt, throwing the belt off the pulleys and spitting oil all over my engine bay.
Turpid Porpoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
I think his point was nobody should be assuming Jiffy lube guys are skilled in any way, as apposed to guys who work on ultra high end cars on the other hand where even a guy doing oil changes is high skill
Well.....maybe........

Frankly, I don't think any of us care about high end cars.
Yes, I know some peeps that work at "quick lube" places.....some of them I would not trust bringing my mail from the street to the front door, let alone working on a sorta major investment of mine....

Whatever......hopefully not a major issue to the OP, hope it works out well.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Jack
Add Lightness
Moderator
 
Member#: 13699
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Hopkinton, MA
Vehicle:
not my president
(From General)

Default

For those of us who waste our lives watching youtube videos, the comment about $20k oil changes probably centered around Houston's DIY job he did on his rental company Bugati. It has 16 drain plugs for the dry sump oiling system and of course, you need to take stuff apart to get to them. Yah....$21k at a dealer.


That's not so bad. A McLaren F1 factory tire change involves flying over a team from England and renting a racetrack to properly balance the tires. No, I'm not making that up.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #16
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
For those of us who waste our lives watching youtube videos, the comment about $20k oil changes probably centered around Houston's DIY job he did on his rental company Bugati. It has 16 drain plugs for the dry sump oiling system and of course, you need to take stuff apart to get to them. Yah....$21k at a dealer.

Bugatti Veyron $21K Oil Change ?.. Ehhh, I'll do it Myself ! - YouTube

That's not so bad. A McLaren F1 factory tire change involves flying over a team from England and renting a racetrack to properly balance the tires. No, I'm not making that up.
Yep, I have read/seen that for a McLaren tire change....but.....Frikkin Subaru forum......dump this crap into OT or other models.....how many here can even pay for Veyron or McLaren insurance, let alone service....... way OT.....

As to quick lube places....yes, cheap.......issues?.....yep, maybe. As stated before, most employees I would be questioning having them walk 60' from mailbox to front door and get it right. Doing service on an expensive part of my life.........nope........

OP, hope you get this sorted out correctly based on your info and issue.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 01-17-2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Fix typo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #17
Brego
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496617
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

what kind of damage does an overfilled oil cause, and how quickly does it occur?
Brego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #18
anarekist
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468117
Join Date: May 2017
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Southern Cali
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DMG

Default

apparently 1 mile to the walmart.
anarekist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #19
rtv900
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 428511
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: philadelphia
Vehicle:
2016 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post
what kind of damage does an overfilled oil cause, and how quickly does it occur?
well the OP never clarified what even really happened, but we are all assuming he went for an oil change, but somebody drained the trans and then filled the engine back up even though it was never drained to begin with.

So he left with a half drained trans and a double filled engine.
the engine oil over fill isn't the major issue, it's the trans with no oil.
That's why it would rev super high before slamming into gear. It had no oil to pressurize it's valving.
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #20
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30669
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: USA, North NJ, 07456
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brego View Post
what kind of damage does an overfilled oil cause, and how quickly does it occur?
It can blow out seals, push liquid into the PCV system, likely a mess as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtv900 View Post
well the OP never clarified what even really happened, but we are all assuming he went for an oil change, but somebody drained the trans and then filled the engine back up even though it was never drained to begin with.

So he left with a half drained trans and a double filled engine.
the engine oil over fill isn't the major issue, it's the trans with no oil.
That's why it would rev super high before slamming into gear. It had no oil to pressurize it's valving.
I agree with this. Hopefully the trans is OK and he gets documentation that this is what happened.
I know some peeps that have put a label next to trans drain and oil drain so others know which is which.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
branut89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 222413
Join Date: Sep 2009
Default

I find the best way to make sure this never become an issue is doing the maintenance on my own.
branut89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #22
Elbert Bass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 283429
Join Date: May 2011
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Down yonder.
Vehicle:
2016 Fuji Sunfire 03
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turpid Porpoise View Post
^This. Never go to Jiffy Lube. The last time I went there they left my oil cap lying on top of the motor and it got jammed in the drive belt, throwing the belt off the pulleys and spitting oil all over my engine bay.
Ain't just quicky oil change places. The Subaru Express guys at the dealer I work for do that at least once a month...

They have left so many drain plugs loose there is a 3" wide black streak from the Express bays down the lot and around the building to the service parking lot.
Elbert Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:05 PM   #23
bdubblu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 251046
Join Date: Jul 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mostly at my home
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Stage 5.1.2a.2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
..... let alone working on a sorta major investment of mine....
ha haaa... you called a car an "investment"
bdubblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.