Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #1651
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 FUQ21BottiTuned
Full Bolt on Flex Fuel

Default

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #1652
KeepItStock
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496113
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Spotsylvania VA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Obsidian

Default A few WOT pulls

I started logging before I left the house so the pulls may be a bit hidden in here but I'm sure you can find em. Any info would be great.

- 2011 WRX Hatch
-Manual
-None, completely stock
-First pulls were 3rd gear. The last 2 are 1>2>3 pulls

Just flashed the Stage 1 93 map. The car feels much more reactive but my peak boost was around 14 psi so wondering if I should try the HWG map.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

After looking at it a few times i'm wondering what a normal knock count is. I guess I was hoping 0 really but I can see that I got 2 counts of knock on cyl 4 during one of my first gear pulls which is kind of worrying.

Last edited by KeepItStock; 01-10-2019 at 10:01 PM.
KeepItStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #1653
adam99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480524
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pa
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
Looks fun!! I can't wait to tune for ethanol. Do you notice your boost lower in colder temps and if so by how much?
adam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #1654
adam99
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 480524
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Pa
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItStock View Post
I started logging before I left the house so the pulls may be a bit hidden in here but I'm sure you can find em. Any info would be great.

- 2011 WRX Hatch
-Manual
-None, completely stock
-First pulls were 3rd gear. The last 2 are 1>2>3 pulls

Just flashed the Stage 1 93 map. The car feels much more reactive but my peak boost was around 14 psi so wondering if I should try the HWG map.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

After looking at it a few times i'm wondering what a normal knock count is. I guess I was hoping 0 really but I can see that I got 2 counts of knock on cyl 4 during one of my first gear pulls which is kind of worrying.
You have a few brief instances of fine knock learn. Nothing to be worried about. I know much much less about Ej Knock control but I can still look at this and know nothing is wrong. Unless of course I am missing something Stop worrying and enjoy the car
adam99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #1655
KeepItStock
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496113
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Spotsylvania VA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Obsidian

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
You have a few brief instances of fine knock learn. Nothing to be worried about. I know much much less about Ej Knock control but I can still look at this and know nothing is wrong. Unless of course I am missing something Stop worrying and enjoy the car
The car is my new favorite thing in the world XD. I wash it like twice a week since I got it lol.

I'm so happy the tune fixed the 1>2 shift. I thought I forgot how to drive manual when I got in it the first time, turns out the rev hang and TPS was all drive by wire shenanigans.

Only mods I'm doing are the AP stage one tune and short throw shifter being installed tomorrow. I'm going to gather a couple of other pull logs and try to be more precise about timing them cuz there was a lot of dead space in that last log.

Still wondering if I should flash the HWG map on and see what happens. The map says 17 psi is the target and I only ever hit 14.8 at the highest in my first log.

I'm in VA where it's pretty cold recently and I'm not sure about the quality of the 93 here. I only fill up shell and Exxon gas cuz I've been told they have the best quality I'm just not so convinced ya know... just wondering if that can make a difference too
KeepItStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:44 AM   #1656
DinoMagic
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 462387
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default

So to close this off I wanted to share the outcome with my meeting with the tuner. We went over the logs. I had my 93 log, ethanol log across multiple weeks each showing fine knock learn values during WOT between 3400 and 6500ish RPMs. Values between -1.4 and -0.35 ... rarely did the logs have a knock correction value.
He explained to me that these small values are not a reason for concern and that is the ECU doing its job to protect the engine. The ECU must have previously picked up knock correction values some time ago in those cells and now that the data is in the fine knock learn tables the ECU is automatically pulling time to prevent knock from occuring again in those cells. Essentially this is what most people on this post had been mentioning so it was good to get that confirmation. He also pointed out to me across the different logs that the timing being pulled in similar cells was decreasing for example going from -1.4 3 weeks ago to -1.05 or -0.70 in more recent weeks. And that eventually the ECU would continue to decrement in -0.35 values until that value was learned away ... unless another knock were to occur in that same cell again in which case the value would go back up.
So in the end he recommended no change and told me to enjoy the car. I'm glad I got closure on the issue as it was bothering me to see the fine knock learn values week after week... Though I can say that the values have finally gone down to 0 as I didn't observe any timing being pulled tonight during my runs.
On this topic, I'd like to close out by saying thank you to everyone who took the time to look at my logs and provide help, insight, steps to troubleshoot etc. I found your input to be helpful and very informative.
thanks...

Now to go out and gap some people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjiML View Post
I'm asking him to detemine real knock vs phantom knock so we can move on to the next step. This is for diagnosis

Knock after pulled timing points to noise
No knock after pulled timing points to the need to reduce timing.

In either case he won't be any worse off

Edit: I see what the confusion is. Yes, whether it a real or phantom knock they'll both show up as knock on his AP, but once we determine real or phantom we can go to the next step: reduce the aggressiveness of the tune or change knock sensor settings for his built engine which could be triggering the false knock. In either case we are trying to fix the real issue. Pulling 2* of timing will make the tune less aggressive and is a bigger reduction than what the ecu is doing so it rid him of any real knock.
DinoMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #1657
ShinjiML
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257231
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2011 STI ShinjiTuned
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoMagic View Post
So to close this off I wanted to share the outcome with my meeting with the tuner. We went over the logs. I had my 93 log, ethanol log across multiple weeks each showing fine knock learn values during WOT between 3400 and 6500ish RPMs. Values between -1.4 and -0.35 ... rarely did the logs have a knock correction value.

He explained to me that these small values are not a reason for concern and that is the ECU doing its job to protect the engine. The ECU must have previously picked up knock correction values some time ago in those cells and now that the data is in the fine knock learn tables the ECU is automatically pulling time to prevent knock from occuring again in those cells. Essentially this is what most people on this post had been mentioning so it was good to get that confirmation. He also pointed out to me across the different logs that the timing being pulled in similar cells was decreasing for example going from -1.4 3 weeks ago to -1.05 or -0.70 in more recent weeks. And that eventually the ECU would continue to decrement in -0.35 values until that value was learned away ... unless another knock were to occur in that same cell again in which case the value would go back up.

So in the end he recommended no change and told me to enjoy the car. I'm glad I got closure on the issue as it was bothering me to see the fine knock learn values week after week... Though I can say that the values have finally gone down to 0 as I didn't observe any timing being pulled tonight during my runs.

On this topic, I'd like to close out by saying thank you to everyone who took the time to look at my logs and provide help, insight, steps to troubleshoot etc. I found your input to be helpful and very informative.

thanks...



Now to go out and gap some people!
Glad it's now clean. Enjoy the car!

I won't comment too much more on the feedback knock "learning" into fine knock, because it's two separate logics and is commonly misunderstood. But, if you're ever interested in learning more about the knock logic, you can read about it here:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/topic1840.html

BTW the author of that post was employed by Cobb a few years back.
ShinjiML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:10 AM   #1658
KeepItStock
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496113
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Spotsylvania VA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Obsidian

Default What's up with these knock sum counts?

- 2011 WRX Hatch
-Manual
-No mods, stock

Couple of yanks from a stop light otw home from work. Any clue why I am seeing so many counts of knock? up to 13 on one cylinder. Should I be worried? XD

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
KeepItStock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 PM   #1659
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 FUQ21BottiTuned
Full Bolt on Flex Fuel

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
Looks fun!! I can't wait to tune for ethanol. Do you notice your boost lower in colder temps and if so by how much?
Does not Lower in colder temps.. I see 22-23 PSI regardless of temp.

Never had it dyno'd either, what do you think it makes?
wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #1660
ShinjiML
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 257231
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Vehicle:
2011 STI ShinjiTuned
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam99 View Post
Looks fun!! I can't wait to tune for ethanol. Do you notice your boost lower in colder temps and if so by how much?
That's due to how the iat related boost tables are tuned by your tuner. Without any compensations, boost should actually be higher in colder weather. It's mostly put in to prevent overboost.
ShinjiML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #1661
wrxlaunch
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181298
Join Date: May 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MAIC
Vehicle:
2015 FUQ21BottiTuned
Full Bolt on Flex Fuel

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
Can someone plot this for me plz
wrxlaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #1662
86Dreams
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 385256
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harriman NY
Vehicle:
V7 S204

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
Can someone plot this for me plz
86Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #1663
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck
EJ22e 415whp/398wtq

Default

mother f*ckin wdgc bull ***** gonna make me burn this thing down with fire

0% duty
https://datazap.me/u/terryjr/1bar-ew...2&zoom=456-537


flat 30% duty cycle
https://datazap.me/u/terryjr/15hz-30...2&zoom=164-241
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #1664
Arelax
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477019
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
Can someone plot this for me plz
assuming:
18" stock wheels
base/premium 15 wrx
your weight + the stuff in your car = 200lbs
normal sea level barometric pressure


Try to find a flatter road next time


https://ibb.co/8jMkhN8
Arelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 AM   #1665
FusedDrama
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496930
Join Date: Jan 2019
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: California
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
CWP

Default

Can anyone check my 2 logs and help me out? My DAM is been dropping to around .65 and im getting some feedback knock and fine knock as well.. I cleaned my MAF Sensor, checked for vacuum leaks and boost leaks.. maybe bad plugs?

2017wrx MT Stage 1 cobb big SF intake that's it



https://datazap.me/u/fuseddrama/2017...og=0&data=5-18

Thank you in advance.
FusedDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #1666
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck
EJ22e 415whp/398wtq

Default

Woot. 368g/sec in first gear lol. My openport been loosing data from a bad obd plug I guess

https://datazap.me/u/terryjr/same?lo...1&zoom=232-253

log video


Last edited by no694terry; 02-05-2019 at 07:48 AM.
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #1667
greygonzalez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461647
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Trinity, FL
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
ISM

Default

https://datazap.me/u/greygonzalez/1-...og=0&data=9-23

2019 STI - FBO - FP red @ 21 psi e76. 1050 injectors maxed out
greygonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #1668
no694terry
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 220816
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2018 Exotruck
EJ22e 415whp/398wtq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygonzalez View Post
https://datazap.me/u/greygonzalez/1-...og=0&data=9-23

2019 STI - FBO - FP red @ 21 psi e76. 1050 injectors maxed out
its no far you can run such a simple wastegate duty and hit target like that.
When i hit max duty on my 950's i threw in a walbro 450 and bumped base pressure to 58psi. helped a lot but im still looking for some 1200's for a deal
no694terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #1669
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no694terry View Post
Woot. 368g/sec in first gear lol. My openport been loosing data from a bad obd plug I guess

https://datazap.me/u/terryjr/same?lo...1&zoom=232-253

log video

https://youtu.be/9ckn70vm588?t=10
That is bad a**
PDXREALTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.