Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday February 21, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
22h0ffers
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472842
Default Sound deadener 300 dollar budget

Hey all, Iím putting a system in my 2011 sti here soon so Iím planning on doing a little ďdynamattingĒ. This is my first time taking a go at all this but I will be doing this myself, just trying to get some experienced ears to help out. I was checking out the cld tiles from sound deadener showdown and the bulk packs of 80 mil from noico on Amazon. Plus some of that 150mil foam stuff. I understand the different jobs that each does, I just donít want to add a bunch of extra weight or spend a god awful amount of money. Iím willing to tear out carpet and headliner, but just wanna know where to put it to get the most out of it. Thank you for any help.
22h0ffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
pmanliu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 361107
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2017 WRX

You can definitely accomplish this for <$300. There is no need to cover every inch of your car, rather just enough to dampen the vibrations. For the most part you can feel it out by knocking on the paneling, applying dynamat, and the knocking again to test.

I used stinger roadkill instead of dyanamat as well to save some $
pmanliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
22h0ffers
Scooby Newbie

Right, thatís why those cld tiles were so attractive. 25 percent coverage, so thatís a lot of install weight and time saved to. Where would you put the foam? Hood, Floor and trunk? Is the hood even worth it.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
dryvr12
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 470296
Vehicle:
17 WRX
LPB

I have used the noico stuff on amazon and the sound deadner showdown cld tiles. Would probably go with the noico again just for cost. At minimum I would suggest doing your two front doors, trunk lid, and quarter panels. I have a 17 with the common decklid rattle, so I did that as well. Depending on how much material you buy you could do the floor and roof.

As far as foam or mass loaded vinyl I would do your front door panels, kicker panel, and quarters for the biggest difference.
dryvr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:57 AM   #5
22h0ffers
Scooby Newbie

Perfect, thank you very much for the response.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:00 AM   #6
22h0ffers
Scooby Newbie

On the noico would you suggest 100% coverage on the specific part Iím doing I.e. door, trunk, floor. Or does less do the job
Old 03-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
dryvr12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
17 WRX
LPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22h0ffers View Post
On the noico would you suggest 100% coverage on the specific part Iím doing I.e. door, trunk, floor. Or does less do the job
You can use less and just place in strategic spots. I think I used 2 sheets per door. Make sure to do the inner portion of the inner door if that makes sense. The inner part of where the speaker bolts up. If installed on the inner part of the inner door skin, you won't be able to see the deadner
Old 03-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #8
22h0ffers
Scooby Newbie

Yea that makes sense. So just the most outside layer, the layer your talking about and then foam the side that the speaker and the clear plastic from the factory comes on?
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
dryvr12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
17 WRX
LPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22h0ffers View Post
Yea that makes sense. So just the most outside layer, the layer your talking about and then foam the side that the speaker and the clear plastic from the factory comes on?
I personally have never used the foam, but that sounds like a good game plan!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:03 PM   #10
JuiceboxWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483507

I was able to do both front doors and have about half a box left of the Noico 80mil. I did the inside and the outside and put as much on as I could. I paid 64 dollars for 36sq ft. I will have plenty to do the truck lid and most if not all of the trunk space.

Last edited by JuiceboxWRX; 03-17-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
JuiceboxWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #11
Aluminum Falcon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487315
Vehicle:
'13 Impreza Limited

I just got done installing some noico 80mil sound deadening in my '13 Impreza, my total bill was 160 bucks including 72 square feet (2 bulk packs) trim tools, extra panel clips, some aluminum foil tape, and a roller. I did about 80% coverage on the door skins, 20% on the inner door structure, 90% in the trunk floor and about 10% on the sides, 30% in the hatch skin, 90% on the floors under the carpet. I still have 2 sheets left, which I may do the roof skin. It has really made a big difference. I found some vids on YouTube which were specific to a '15 WRX which were very helpful. So 300 bucks is twice what you need to do a satisfactory sound deadening job.
Aluminum Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote