Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday September 23, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #1
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default Next step or leave the car as is?

I have a 2009 WRX Hatchback with 160k miles. Parts list as follows

Rebuilt VF52 with Billet Turbine Wheel
Perrin Turbo Inlet
Grimmspeed EBCS
COBB Intake
COBB Catted Downpipe
ID1050x Injectors
AEM 340LPH Fuel Pump

Tuned by Torqued Performance, virtual dyno reads 300WHP/310TQ

My question is firstly, what I am looking at in terms of gains if I add good a TMIC. I currently am at 20PSI on the stock TMIC but feel that with my fuel system I could reach more than 300WHP.

If this was your car, what would your next step be? I want to keep the VF52, and keep the car reliable as it is my daily. I love the car the way it is, but I feel like it could have just a tad more power. What would be the next step?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
ntg44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510765
Join Date: Jan 2020
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Default

Stock STI intercooler + Flex fuel package. If E85 isn't readily available, I'd just leave it as is or get an STI intercooler if you're bored. Other possibilities on pump, maybe ELH + external wastegate + TGV deletes?
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Jedi03
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 491095
Join Date: Sep 2018
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: New Mexico
Vehicle:
2009 STi Blue
Blue

Default

suspension and brakes imo
Jedi03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi03 View Post
suspension and brakes imo
Yea, was thinking this route tbh. Suspension is original so definitely needs a refresh before any more power
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:58 AM   #5
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Stock STI intercooler + Flex fuel package. If E85 isn't readily available, I'd just leave it as is or get an STI intercooler if you're bored. Other possibilities on pump, maybe ELH + external wastegate + TGV deletes?
I have thought about E85 but there are only a few stations around me that have it. I would add an intercooler if it would net a bit of power but other than that, might just focus on suspension/brakes/wheels now
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
pigboat_2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 247823
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Denver/ Eglin AFB
Vehicle:
2007 STi limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
I have thought about E85 but there are only a few stations around me that have it. I would add an intercooler if it would net a bit of power but other than that, might just focus on suspension/brakes/wheels now
Round out the FBO package:

TMIC
IAG tgv housings
ELH
E85

This won't net you "a bit of power" you'll probably gain like 60+ hp. Pump gas absolutely sucks once you get on E85.
pigboat_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
Round out the FBO package:

TMIC
IAG tgv housings
ELH
E85

This won't net you "a bit of power" you'll probably gain like 60+ hp. Pump gas absolutely sucks once you get on E85.
Thanks for the input. Say I just add the TMIC and flex fuel without the ELH and TGV housings.. is that a decent route? I don't want to push this motor with 160k on it TOO far. I also love the sound of the UEL headers
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #8
ntg44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510765
Join Date: Jan 2020
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
Thanks for the input. Say I just add the TMIC and flex fuel without the ELH and TGV housings.. is that a decent route? I don't want to push this motor with 160k on it TOO far. I also love the sound of the UEL headers
Yes, it would be plenty. Huge gains.
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:46 PM   #9
pigboat_2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 247823
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Denver/ Eglin AFB
Vehicle:
2007 STi limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Yes, it would be plenty. Huge gains.
Yeah you're just leaving power/torque/spool on the table by not going ELH. And you grow to love the sound pretty quick. Especially if you get something like a Killer B which I very regularly confuse for a UEL design.

It's safer for the motor too, if you want to talk about long term reliability. More even AFR and EGT between cylinder = less change to pop a ringland.

And you only pay for one retune instead of several as you slowly accumulate more parts.
pigboat_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Sweet, thanks for all the input guys, really helpful. Will refer back to this down the road when I decide to throw some more parts on the car!
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #11
Karlot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339923
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gainesville, VA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
Yeah you're just leaving power/torque/spool on the table by not going ELH. And you grow to love the sound pretty quick. Especially if you get something like a Killer B which I very regularly confuse for a UEL design.

It's safer for the motor too, if you want to talk about long term reliability. More even AFR and EGT between cylinder = less change to pop a ringland.

And you only pay for one retune instead of several as you slowly accumulate more parts.
^^^that.

i too, love the sound of uneqal length headers. and i hesitated but ended up getting a set of tomei equal lengths. the sound is still awesome, and literally everything besides the sound improved (and sound is really based on opinion). i gained power, spool, drivability/smoothness, reliability, everything. i will NEVER go back to unequal length headers because of this. the only thing i wish i did different, was go with the killerB setup. but i got mine used with like 1k miles on them for 450 already modded for ewg, so i really couldnt complain at all.

a bigger tmic alone wont really net much power, if any. your best bet if you want more is to go E85. which is also better in every way vs 93 pump gas. and you can always go with a flex kit so you can swap back and forth to pump gas should you need it to travel or whatever.
Karlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #12
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlot View Post
^^^that.

i too, love the sound of uneqal length headers. and i hesitated but ended up getting a set of tomei equal lengths. the sound is still awesome, and literally everything besides the sound improved (and sound is really based on opinion). i gained power, spool, drivability/smoothness, reliability, everything. i will NEVER go back to unequal length headers because of this. the only thing i wish i did different, was go with the killerB setup. but i got mine used with like 1k miles on them for 450 already modded for ewg, so i really couldnt complain at all.

a bigger tmic alone wont really net much power, if any. your best bet if you want more is to go E85. which is also better in every way vs 93 pump gas. and you can always go with a flex kit so you can swap back and forth to pump gas should you need it to travel or whatever.
Yea, I need to do some more research on the ELH. I definitely am not opposed, but I need to decide how much more $$ I want to put into this car or if I want to sell it before I mod it into oblivion and start fresh with an STI platform
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:36 PM   #13
Karlot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339923
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gainesville, VA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
Yea, I need to do some more research on the ELH. I definitely am not opposed, but I need to decide how much more $$ I want to put into this car or if I want to sell it before I mod it into oblivion and start fresh with an STI platform
fair enough. keep in mind if you do put more money into it, alot of the parts fit on both wrx and sti lol.
Karlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #14
ntg44
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 510765
Join Date: Jan 2020
Vehicle:
2020 WRX STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
Yea, I need to do some more research on the ELH. I definitely am not opposed, but I need to decide how much more $$ I want to put into this car or if I want to sell it before I mod it into oblivion and start fresh with an STI platform
Wasn't aware STI was an option. If you plan on more power, brakes, and suspension, STI is a better investment. Downpipe, fuel system, and flexfuel are all you need and you'll have a well rounded car.
ntg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 04:47 PM   #15
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
Wasn't aware STI was an option. If you plan on more power, brakes, and suspension, STI is a better investment. Downpipe, fuel system, and flexfuel are all you need and you'll have a well rounded car.
Yea, still deciding on whether or not I want to put more money into this one before I sell it in a year or two. My brother wants it when he graduates college so wouldn't want to pull parts off of it and leave him with a half finished car. Definitely want to get an STI to build on in the future though. Probably will stick with suspension upgrades on this one, maybe a TMIC just to polish the engine bay. Thanks for all of your input guys!
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:21 PM   #16
pigboat_2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 247823
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Denver/ Eglin AFB
Vehicle:
2007 STi limited
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
Yea, still deciding on whether or not I want to put more money into this one before I sell it in a year or two. My brother wants it when he graduates college so wouldn't want to pull parts off of it and leave him with a half finished car. Definitely want to get an STI to build on in the future though. Probably will stick with suspension upgrades on this one, maybe a TMIC just to polish the engine bay. Thanks for all of your input guys!
You have everything you need to go E85, do a TMIC and hit up Eric for the new tune. Best $150 you will spend.
pigboat_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #17
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
You have everything you need to go E85, do a TMIC and hit up Eric for the new tune. Best $150 you will spend.
Probably will do this and call it "done" for this car

Do you know if I need an accessport for the flex fuel kit? I am currently openport
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #18
pigboat_2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 247823
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Denver/ Eglin AFB
Vehicle:
2007 STi limited
SWP

Default

Actually Eric knows a lot about doing flex with open source; I really don't.

I was actually just talking about doing two separate maps though, one for pump gas and one for E. It's how we all did it pre-flex fuel.
pigboat_2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:50 AM   #19
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
Actually Eric knows a lot about doing flex with open source; I really don't.

I was actually just talking about doing two separate maps though, one for pump gas and one for E. It's how we all did it pre-flex fuel.
Ah yes, I could always go this route as well. Just have to make sure the tank is pretty much empty when you swap from one to the other right
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #20
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigboat_2 View Post
Actually Eric knows a lot about doing flex with open source; I really don't.

I was actually just talking about doing two separate maps though, one for pump gas and one for E. It's how we all did it pre-flex fuel.
Ah yes, I could always go this route as well. Just have to make sure the tank is pretty much empty when you swap from one to the other right
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #21
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Not sure why my message posted twice
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:00 PM   #22
Karlot
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 339923
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gainesville, VA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STi
grey

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanmurphy View Post
Probably will do this and call it "done" for this car

Do you know if I need an accessport for the flex fuel kit? I am currently openport
you dont need an accessport for flex, any good tuner should be able to tune that open source. but you will likely still need a "flex kit" which i think would just be the ethanol sensors that connect to the ecu to read the ethanol levels, i'm not 100% sure how that works though.
Karlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #23
Jay11STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492422
Join Date: Oct 2018
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North Jersey
Vehicle:
2011 STI

Default

I would recommend adding ELH and retune. If E85 is available then go for that and ELH with retune. Cant say what the wrx tmic is good for but the sti tmic is good for around 400whp.
Jay11STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:17 PM   #24
aidanmurphy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 512054
Join Date: Feb 2020
Vehicle:
2009 WRX Hatchback
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
I would recommend adding ELH and retune. If E85 is available then go for that and ELH with retune. Cant say what the wrx tmic is good for but the sti tmic is good for around 400whp.
I have read a couple things about the WRX TMIC popping around 19-20psi. I JB Welded the metal "clamps" around the problem areas I read about since I am hitting peak boost of 20.. so for me an STI intercooler would be a good addition. Not sure about the piping though and if it is an easy swap
aidanmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:17 AM   #25
M_Tag
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 265205
Join Date: Nov 2010
Default

another vote for suspension
M_Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.