Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 08:01 AM   #1
AVANTI R5
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 73805
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default New 2019 BMW M3 to boast 510bhp and four-wheel drive

Quote:
The all-new BMW M3 will be launched at Frankfurt with all-wheel drive, and our exclusive images preview how it could look

BMW has confirmed it will launch its latest M3 in September at the Frankfurt Motor Show. The performance saloon will undergo a comprehensive mechanical overhaul for its sixth generation, making the shift from rear-wheel to all-wheel drive for the first time, and our exclusive images preview how the new model could look.

The new BMW M3 will be powered by the M-divisionís latest 3.0-litre twin-turbocharged straight-six petrol engine, offered in two states of tune. Entry level models will develop 480bhp, while the more powerful ďCompetitionĒ flagship will produce 510bhp. Itís possible that BMW will only sell the latter model in the UK, with prices likely to start from around £65,000.

Like the firmís recently-updated M5, BMW will fit the M3 with a selectable four-wheel-drive system, allowing the driver to send all of the engineís power to the rear wheels if the mood takes them. The set-up is offered to compete with rivals such as the Mercedes-AMG C 63 and the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrofoglio, both of which are exclusively rear-wheel drive.

BMW will follow the trend set by Audi and Mercedes for the styling of its new compact super-saloon. As shown by our exclusive images, revisions will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary, so not to discourage buyers, with the new model sharing its predecessorís widened track, flared wheelarches, boot-mounted lip spoiler, aggressive front bumper and quad-tipped exhaust set-up.

However, thereíll be radical changes inside the new M3ís cabin, with BMW implementing its latest dashboard and centre console design from the new 3 Series. The interior rethink focuses on reducing the button count, with the majority of the carís functions being controlled by the fresh iDrive 7.0 infotainment system.

The latest M3 should also be lighter and more agile than the previous-generation model thanks to the adoption of BMWís new CLAR platform. BMWís M division chief, Carsten Piers, told Auto Express: ďWe are aware there is a large fanbase for M cars around the world and we will do all we can to excite them and everything we can do not to disappoint them.Ē
AutoExpress.com
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
AVANTI R5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

M3 with AWD (selectable too) sounds like a win.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Mahend21
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 501149
Join Date: May 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
M3 with AWD (selectable too) sounds like a win.
+1
Mahend21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

I think this is a smart move. The M3 is so massive that it’s more of a GT style car and AWD selectable
Makes sense. The M2 is the new m3.


I do love my M2
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
M3 with AWD (selectable too) sounds like a win.
You canít unselect the extra weight, but itís so heavy already it probably wonít matter.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
You canít unselect the extra weight, but itís so heavy already it probably wonít matter.
It's less than a couple hundred pounds heavier than an STI while being a bigger car, packing a bigger engine, transmission, etc. These AWD versions are likely to be heavier but they have worked on making the G80 lighter than the F80.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
It's less than a couple hundred pounds heavier than an STI while being a bigger car, packing a bigger engine, transmission, etc. These AWD versions are likely to be heavier but they have worked on making the G80 lighter than the F80.
I guess I just don't get it, why a street car needs 500 hp. I think you want to make the M cars better, make them lighter.

Every gen gains 50 hp and 200 lbs. What's the goal here? I think carmakers just have no imagination, and are too scared to buck the trend. Like Apple making bigger iphones every gen.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle
Vehicle:
'18 Golf R
'14 Outback

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
The M2 is the new m3.
This. The M3 is basically the old M5.

Things move up in size/features, mfrs slot new cars in under them. Unfortunately for BMW, they're running out of numbers...
dwf137 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM   #9
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
This. The M3 is basically the old M5.

Things move up in size/features, mfrs slot new cars in under them. Unfortunately for BMW, they're running out of numbers...
Same for all brands. The current Civic is bigger than the Accord used to be. A Civic Type R is a big car.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
I guess I just don't get it, why a street car needs 500 hp. I think you want to make the M cars better, make them lighter.

Every gen gains 50 hp and 200 lbs. What's the goal here? I think carmakers just have no imagination, and are too scared to buck the trend. Like Apple making bigger iphones every gen.
I think enthusiasts just have to accept that cars are getting heavier and there's no turning back. BMW adds a lot of aluminum parts to the M3/M4 to try and keep weight in check but as long as it's based on the regular 3 series chassis it's always going to be an uphill battle. The biggest advantage Porsche has is that their sports cars are not based on chassis that are developed for bread and butter commuter cars. Even at that you wouldn't call any late model Porsche a lightweight car. The way around this is now to keep upping the power and use trick differentials, adjustable shocks, and sticky tires to net cars that are faster than their predecessors despite being larger and heavier.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Model bloat sucks IMO but all the manufacturers are hell-bent on shoving as many tech and safety features as they can into the vehicle. You can tell how old the lines in a parking lot are by looking at the spots labeled as "compact" - a lot of the ones I see must be from the late 90s or early 2000s because there is no way a regular current-gen Civic can fit comfortably into them.

One praise that the M2 gets (especially the Competition) from enthusiasts is that it's an adequate size for what it is. Many people say that the M2 Competition is what the M3 should look and feel like. It's also why I admire Mazda for keeping the Miata's size and weight virtually the same for nearly 3 decades now. They've found a way to make the car feel modern without completely inflating it, which is truly impressive.

Last edited by YungBoba; 05-06-2019 at 03:47 PM.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
E. Nick
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8489
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Atherton, CA
Vehicle:
2005 Carrera GT
Guards

Default

Hear! Hear! Only way to get the enthusiast's dream is to spend a lot of money, buy something used, or both!
E. Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 04:46 PM   #13
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
Model bloat sucks IMO but all the manufacturers are hell-bent on shoving as many tech and safety features as they can into the vehicle. You can tell how old the lines in a parking lot are by looking at the spots labeled as "compact" - a lot of the ones I see must be from the late 90s or early 2000s because there is no way a regular current-gen Civic can fit comfortably into them.

One praise that the M2 gets (especially the Competition) from enthusiasts is that it's an adequate size for what it is. Many people say that the M2 Competition is what the M3 should look and feel like. It's also why I admire Mazda for keeping the Miata's size and weight virtually the same for nearly 3 decades now. They've found a way to make the car feel modern without completely inflating it, which is truly impressive.
The M2 is only 1 inch longer than an E46 M3. Power delivery is very linear like the e46 and to me it does feel like an e46 just newer / updated. For me, the car is fairly predictable and confident when tossing it around. Thereís not a whole lot I would change about it. Only reason I see me selling my M2 is for a M2C or holding out for the new 2020MY makeover
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:00 PM   #14
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: kingdom of the madness
Vehicle:
1994 Not brokedick
just old school

Default

The M3 should have died entirely when renaming the coupe to be the M4 made perfect sense to do. Eye off the ball IMO.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #15
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4S-TURBO View Post
The M3 should have died entirely when renaming the coupe to be the M4 made perfect sense to do. Eye off the ball IMO.
They should have just called both the M3. M3 coupe, M3 sedan. The 4 is stupid.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

BMW nomenclature is confusing in general. I saw an X6 the other day and had no idea WTF it was. Go on their website to research and I see that they have literally X1 through X7, and then 2-series through 8-series.

15 years ago, it was, what? 3-series, 5-series, or 7-series. SUVs were X3 or X5. Z4 just came out to replace the Z3. Overall everything seemed much simpler.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #17
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... 2017 BMW M2
2017 F-150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
BMW nomenclature is confusing in general. I saw an X6 the other day and had no idea WTF it was. Go on their website to research and I see that they have literally X1 through X7, and then 2-series through 8-series.

15 years ago, it was, what? 3-series, 5-series, or 7-series. SUVs were X3 or X5. Z4 just came out to replace the Z3. Overall everything seemed much simpler.
Donít forget all the different variants under each series! BMW has gone full looney.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #18
h3llsp4wn
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 373546
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NorCal 707 to 916
Vehicle:
2015 wrx limited
crystal black

Default

Its not surprising that the Civic TR gets so many looks when it weights less than 3000 pounds.
h3llsp4wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #19
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

so its going to cost more, weigh more and more stuff that will break. They seem to throw as much engineering as they can into too many different variants to see what "sticks" and then they depreciate fast when the next one comes out. Trying way too hard when they really only need to get back to basics to be competitive. Subaru has kept the STI competitive in the 4 door AWD turbo 4 segment for 15 years by only changing what they needed to to keep the Base STI MSRP around 36G's and its been 34-36G's for 15 years!!!!! Its stayed basically within $2,000 base MSRP from 2004 to 2019! making it very competitive in its segment to get into an STI and enjoy the driving experience. Still has the rawest feel and driver feedback of any car in that segment. BMW's are getting numbed up with electronic assist everything. M3's are nice but they have mixed up the plaform way too much to the point where it has lost an identity from the 2000-2006 era which got the formula right and they had an identity. Now I dont know what they want out of the car they change it so much. I'd say the addition of "AWD" and interior upgrades are going to push a base M3 MSRP over $70,000. What are they thinking?

Last edited by NighthawkSTI; 05-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Lrn2Corner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 246224
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Chesapeake
Vehicle:
2018 Type RA 271/500
CWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3llsp4wn View Post
Its not surprising that the Civic TR gets so many looks when it weights less than 3000 pounds.
The Type R weighs 3117 lbs. that is >3000 lbs. It gets so many looks because it looks like a Gundam artist designed the body and the whole rear of the car looks like trash with the big fake plastic vents that serve no purpose outside of making people go "but why?".
Lrn2Corner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn2Corner View Post
The Type R weighs 3117 lbs. that is >3000 lbs. It gets so many looks because it looks like a Gundam artist designed the body and the whole rear of the car looks like trash with the big fake plastic vents that serve no purpose outside of making people go "but why?".
The S209 will smoke that thing. They aren't much faster IF AT ALL, than any gen STI from 0-60 and 1/4 mile....pretty sure any GD was faster new....06's were mid 4 second 0-60 in most tests. I havent seen any Type R tests that show it to be that fast off the line or low 13's in the 1/4??? And the Type R is making more like 350 horsepower in dyno tests that show it is under rated from the factory. They have better balance and handeling and a higher top speed though. But you need to be on a dedicated track to see that difference. STI still wins bang for the buck and raw driving experience and has REAL mechanical diff AWD and not this FWD electronic RWD assist stuff that honda and ford are pitching.

S209 beats the focus RS and the type R and is where the STI is headed development wise and there should be trickle down engineering to the base STI's, as in suspension parts and horsepower increases. Subaru was smart to not throw everything that had at the STI like ford and honda did with their Turbo 4's. And even the S209 with 340 horsepower is nowhere near the potential of the EJ.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #22
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

They are going to build like 200 of the S209. Why even bother comparing that to volume cars? Plus is lots going to cost in the ballpark of an M2C.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
The S209 will smoke that thing. They aren't much faster IF AT ALL, than any gen STI from 0-60 and 1/4 mile....pretty sure any GD was faster new....06's were mid 4 second 0-60 in most tests. I havent seen any Type R tests that show it to be that fast off the line or low 13's in the 1/4??? And the Type R is making more like 350 horsepower in dyno tests that show it is under rated from the factory. They have better balance and handeling and a higher top speed though. But you need to be on a dedicated track to see that difference. STI still wins bang for the buck and raw driving experience and has REAL mechanical diff AWD and not this FWD electronic RWD assist stuff that honda and ford are pitching.

S209 beats the focus RS and the type R and is where the STI is headed development wise and there should be trickle down engineering to the base STI's, as in suspension parts and horsepower increases. Subaru was smart to not throw everything that had at the STI like ford and honda did with their Turbo 4's. And even the S209 with 340 horsepower is nowhere near the potential of the EJ.
Who cares, we're only getting 200 of them, and it'll cost a fortune. Why are you even comparing it to car I can walk into the local dealership and drive off for $35k?

Type R does VIR in 3:04, the S209 does it in supposedly 3:01. Is that smoking? If you say so.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #24
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2018 Leg / Ridgeline
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

95k dollar M3, I stopped caring about them a long time ago.

However, I did see a realatively new 320i. IF you could get that in a manual and mostly stripped out, that would be a fun commuter....
SCRAPPYDO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #25
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
Who cares, we're only getting 200 of them, and it'll cost a fortune. Why are you even comparing it to car I can walk into the local dealership and drive off for $35k?

Type R does VIR in 3:04, the S209 does it in supposedly 3:01. Is that smoking? If you say so.
yes. Considering how much better overall an S209 is compared to the Type R. I see Type R's everyday....nothing special about them...they have a high top speed and handle good. S209 is a beast by comparison....WAY more durable...the Type R platform is limited by the front drive...transmissions are the weak point. Not true with the STI, and the 209 is fully forged now. Well worth the money over a Type R....and a downpipe and tune on the S209 and it will be making 400+ horsepower....and ya then it will be smoking all kinds of BMW's and Hondahs LOL.

Subaru has been trickling down the parts from these limited editions to the Base STI's in new model years...as they did with the Type RA, they will do with the S209...so I'd expect the base STI's to get a lot of the suspension bits and a similar horsepower boost (whether its the same 2.5 or not), and be stomping Hondas and BMW's with the base STI's. For under 40,000.

again the MSRP on base STI's has remained within a margin of only 2,000 from 2004-2019. Look at the history of base MSRP for M3's. You can pretty much just about get 2 brand new Base STI's for the price of one brand new 2019 M3. M3 has lost its identity
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.