Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
blue-sun
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15934
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2021 GTI
Cornflower Blue

Default New to me: 2017 Jetta GLI

Picked up a CPO 2017 Manual with 9800 miles on it. Dealer had prepped it for me when I picked it up. Dealer was 65 miles away, I drove it home on Saturday and Sunday it was mid 40's for a little bit before a cold front we're in right now here in IL. So I decided to give it a quick wipe down, spot butt and apply some sealant until the weather breaks and I can buff it properly and apply a ceramic coating on it.

FYI - I was a detailer for about 10 years on the side, working mostly on local fellow NASIOC folks. This won't be as intense as a Detailers Domain threads.

At the dealer when I got there:

After the 65 mile drive home:

Since it was very clean and not too swirly, just a little dusty from the drive, I did a wipe down with a Optimum No Rinse and Wax quick detailer solution (I put 6 capfuls in a gallon of distilled water for QD use).

After the wipe down, I went to removing the GLI badge from the trunklid. A little heat gun, some fishing line and some Goo Gone and she was clean as a whistle!

After that, I spot buffed a few scuffs and scratches with Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner and Polish. I ran out of M100 and I need to get some for the proper detail. No pics of the spot buffing, as it was starting to get cold and I wanted to get the wax/sealant on it.

I applied a thin layer of Meguiar's Ultimate Wax and let it cure. While it was curing, I then tackled the exhaust/muffler. Clearly the PO had never polished the tips, neither had the dealer guys, as they were dull and covered in exhaust soot.

I grabbed my go to, some Super Clean APC diluted 1:10, some #0000 Steele Wool and a terry cloth towel (along with some of the ONR QD)

It took a few minutes, but eventually I was able to scrub away most of that soot and the exhaust was nice and shiny again.

Last edited by blue-sun; 04-09-2018 at 04:43 PM.
blue-sun is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
blue-sun
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2021 GTI
Cornflower Blue

Also while the wax cured, I wiped the engine down (no pics) and tried to unplug the annoying soundaktor, but I was unable to get the clip out, I'll try again when it's warmer out.

By then, about 30 mins had passed, so I figured it was time to wipe the wax off. All cleaned! I didn't touch the wheels or tires, the fronts were starting to get a little dusty, but they still looked clean from 5 feet away.

And a quick interior stick shift shot

Old 04-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
blue-sun
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2021 GTI
Cornflower Blue

Forgot to update this thread.

Got the windows tinted a few weeks ago.

50% entire windshield
35% all other windows

After my tint guy left, I had some 3M vinyl tint leftover from previous cars, I applied it to the clear mirror turn signals and applied the Yellow Lamin-x foglight film and clear headlight film.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
blue-sun
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2021 GTI
Cornflower Blue

So I've recently been using Turtle Wax brand Wax and Dry Spray as part of my drying routine. It was in one of those kits that you get at x-mas time that the kids got me. I've got to say that I'm really enjoying it. It leaves a nice gloss and adds a tiny bit of protection to the paint. It smells good and you can see the water being repelled from the paint when you spray it on. In that same kit was a Carnuba Spray wax that I've been using after my washed and I'm really liking the results.

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-produc...-dry-spray-wax

https://www.turtlewax.com/our-produc...auba-spray-wax

I've put 3 or 4 coats of the Carnuba Spray wax on in as many weeks after my weekly wash routine and the results are pretty spectacular.

This is unpolished paint. I haven't gotten around to doing a full paint correction on this car since I got it, but it only had 9800 miles when I got it and the paint is in relatively good condition. The orange peel on this paint is pretty bad, but aside from that, it looks really good in person. I can't wait to polish it and get a ceramic coating on her!

Some pics:

Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #5
Natrodomus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488961
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Grey

Looks good!
Natrodomus is offline   Reply With Quote