Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
Arrtus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487372
Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
White

Default P0410 Secondary Air Injection Fault Code

Hey guys,

I recently have been getting the P0410 code for the secondary air injection system. After doing some research, it looks to have something to do with the air pump.

Unfortunately, after troubleshooting it, I do not see anything wrong with the system. The code has started coming up every since I reverted my vehicle back to stock without a tune or anything. I'm thinking it was most likely removed from the ECU with the tune. It only comes on after a couple days after I reset the code.

Anyway, I want to get this resolved before selling the car and would appreciate if anyone has any feedback.

Here is what I have done so far:

1) Took off the air pump and directly powered it to make sure the motor works and it ran fine

2) Checked all three relays that support the system and they all work as expected. There were no relays that were stuck. All three clicked after putting 12V across their coils.

3) Started thinking it may be a connection issue. I did a continuity test of the connection between the air pump and the connector and all was okay. Then tested the connection between the connector to the fuse box and, again, everything checked out.

What else can be the problem? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Arrtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
enclosedflame56
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473277

While I completely understand if you would want to keep your car completely stock, would you consider getting rid of that whole system? It's only used to pump additional air into your exhaust, which lowers your emissions.

That being said, a LOT of people like to delete them. The parts to fix them are very expensive and takes time to fix. It's worth looking into deleting them if you are sick of the CEL. You just need to source a block off plate and find someone to delete your code for you.

You also should be fine going through emissions, as you will still retain your stock catalytic converters.

I very much doubt if anyone is going to have issues with it being deleted from the car. You can always include the part in the sale if you should feel inclined!
enclosedflame56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
Arrtus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by enclosedflame56 View Post
While I completely understand if you would want to keep your car completely stock, would you consider getting rid of that whole system? It's only used to pump additional air into your exhaust, which lowers your emissions.

That being said, a LOT of people like to delete them. The parts to fix them are very expensive and takes time to fix. It's worth looking into deleting them if you are sick of the CEL. You just need to source a block off plate and find someone to delete your code for you.

You also should be fine going through emissions, as you will still retain your stock catalytic converters.

I very much doubt if anyone is going to have issues with it being deleted from the car. You can always include the part in the sale if you should feel inclined!
I am hoping I don't have to go that route. Kind of just want to fix it if I can find the dang problem but everything looks okay.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
enclosedflame56
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 473277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrtus View Post
I am hoping I don't have to go that route. Kind of just want to fix it if I can find the dang problem but everything looks okay.
Completely understandable. Have you tried jumping the pins and seeing if you can give the pump power to see if it turns on? It should be a 12-volt system, so just jump the harness with some leads and see if you can get anything to turn on (don't run it for a super long amount of time, just enough to see if it will turn on).

Have you checked to see if you're receiving power at the pump through the harness?
enclosedflame56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Arrtus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by enclosedflame56 View Post
Completely understandable. Have you tried jumping the pins and seeing if you can give the pump power to see if it turns on? It should be a 12-volt system, so just jump the harness with some leads and see if you can get anything to turn on (don't run it for a super long amount of time, just enough to see if it will turn on).

Have you checked to see if you're receiving power at the pump through the harness?
Yes, that is the first thing that I had tried. The pump definitely works.

I used a multimeter to see if there was a voltage source at the input terminals of the air pump while the vehicle was on but I did not see any voltage. I'm assuming because the ECU already ran the air pump at the first cold start then cut power to the pump with the relay. I will try it again tomorrow on a cold start and see if I can read a voltage.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
Arrtus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
White

Today I disconnected the air pump connector and connected my multimeter leads to it to see if it was receiving any voltage. Unfortunately, I did not read any voltage at the terminals after cold starting the car.

Does anyone know if the air valves being stuck open or closed would cause the ECU to not turn on the air pump?

I went through all the fuses and connections and did not see anything wrong with it.

EDIT: I jumped all the air system relays and STILL didn't measure any voltage at the air pump terminal! This is driving me crazy.

Last edited by Arrtus; 09-25-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
P43
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 136953
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
07 Wrx
Grey

I recently had this problem on my 07 wrx (p2443: secondary air pump shut closed). I considered all the solutions, but since I'm in California and my smog check is due pretty soon, I went with just replacing the faulty valve. I went to a reputable Subie mechanic here in socal and was charged 350 for the part and it took less than two hours for the repair. I've driven the car about 250+ miles since and have no problems yet.
P43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Arrtus
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 WRX Hatch
White

I took the car in to a Subaru tuner near me and ended up getting the codes deleted. Brought the car home then jacked the car up for some brake work and ended up going under it to check the O2 on the downpipe. lo' and behold, it was loose the whole time. I don't know if this was the culprit but it's possible. I feel so stupid if it was but I'm glad to be done with this issue.

Thanks for all the input!