Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday October 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports > Autocross

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-16-2019, 12:01 PM   #1376
LehmanZ06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 149715

I’m guessing that the diffs on the track don’t mean that much better for STI vs WRX, on a dry track......,,,,wet track or low grip surface like gravel or a dirt road maybe more of a difference.
LehmanZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #1377
JasonS82
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452012

Quote:
This.

In general, fix front grip first before trying to fool the car into thinking it's neutral or oversteerish by throwing away rear grip.
I agree and that is in the plans as well. My thought is that the coilovers will allow me to run more negative camber (hoping to get close to -3.5) in the front since it is limited by the spring perch hitting the inner fender well on the stock struts. Ill be combining that with a roll center kit as well. I'm still undecided on a fr sway just due to the info on this thread. Almost seems like Subaru got it right the first time, imo, but I haven't tried one myself so who knows for sure. Maybe run a smaller front bar and rely on the roll center kit to help prevent roll?
JasonS82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #1378
Norm Peterson
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 498642
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'19 WRX Limited 6MT
'08 Mustang GT (the toy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS82 View Post
I agree and that is in the plans as well. My thought is that the coilovers will allow me to run more negative camber (hoping to get close to -3.5) in the front since it is limited by the spring perch hitting the inner fender well on the stock struts. Ill be combining that with a roll center kit as well. I'm still undecided on a fr sway just due to the info on this thread. Almost seems like Subaru got it right the first time, imo, but I haven't tried one myself so who knows for sure. Maybe run a smaller front bar and rely on the roll center kit to help prevent roll?
There's two things going on with coilovers vs "big springs" as far as more negative camber is concerned - spring to tower clearance and lowering. I think we need to separate them. This is mainly a MacPherson/Chapman strut matter.

That coilovers give you more room for negative camber is not only good from a static camber point of view; it also puts the geometry such that camber gain in bump / camber recovery in roll improves slightly.

But whether with coilovers or "lowering springs", lowering works the other way, with camber gain in bump (from the new static ride height) decreasing. I have a feeling that so many people whose cars have strut suspensions run such large negative camber values is at least partly tied to this effect as well as to a lack of roll center correction.

OE bumpsteer tends to get hosed with roll center correction, so RC correction is reason in and of itself to plan on doing bumpsteer correction as well.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:15 PM   #1379
violentleaf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432126
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue

Whiteline sells a roll center and bump steer correction kit. Would you recommend that? Or another brand?

And at what did height drop would you recommend these corrections?
violentleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #1380
Thorium06
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 254372

Those correction kits are not legal until SM, and once in SM there are much better ways to adjust the geometry FWIW
Thorium06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:00 PM   #1381
violentleaf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 432126
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Galaxy Blue

Oh OK I didn't know that it wasn't SP legal, guess I won't be going that route. I assume by better you also mean much more expensive?
violentleaf is offline   Reply With Quote