Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #1526
msalvas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 354743
Vehicle:
2013 WRX STi
WRB

The same locksmith that told me $100 only charged me $60 to cut the key... Either way it's done. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #1527
MatthewB10
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 320973
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
Ice Silver Metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bratte88 View Post
I paid 60, other say 20. It's really up to them how much they want to charge. The machine costs like 20 grand so lol GL finding many around. Subaru won't cut. They outsource this to like Tennessee or something when they need keys cut
Some Subaru dealerships do have the ability to cut. They did mine here locally for free.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 AM   #1528
CoonWrangler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378772
Chapter/Region: RMIC

Hey xluben,

Can you email me ordering information for a 2013 wrx at duncanraab(at)gmail(dot)com?

Thanks,

Duncan
Old 01-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #1529
justin1984
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 321151
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Black

Hello Xluben,

I can't email because I'm still a new member. I have a 2013 WRX could you please email me the sources for all the parts I need, thank you very much. My email is justinmorse1984(at)gmail(dot)com.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #1530
xluben
Scooby Guru

Member#: 261612
Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin1984 View Post
Hello Xluben,

I can't email because I'm still a new member. I have a 2013 WRX could you please email me the sources for all the parts I need, thank you very much. My email is justinmorse1984(at)gmail(dot)com.
E-mail sent.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #1531
robby.wrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374761
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Sedona Red

Default Robby.Wrex bringing you an update on the Flip blade key fob for my 02 wrx.

Hey guys,
Like I promised Id let you guys know how it turned out for me in some detail to help out the community get an idea when all is said and done the outcome of a switchblade user.
As depicted in the picture the first set of keys with orange and blue buttons, are the original keys for my car.
This flip blade key started because:
1.Im not a fan of keyfob and key being seperate
2. Since I previously owned an audi I loved the keys for size, convenience, and its endless entertainment for my fidgety hands.
3. To downsize the space it takes up in my pocket.
After some research and some awesome help from guys on this forum i quickly learned there was actually two options that "upgrade" my key fob/key setup.
To get to the flip blade switch mod the remote internals on our keys dont fit in any other key shell.
So you have to purchase a 2009 legacy key. (pictured in the middle)
Yes an 09 legacy fob programs with no issues to the factory system of my 02 wrx.
(trunk button doesnt work because it wasnt an option on the car)
**Programming I used worked the first time around, pm me if theres any trouble or questions and ill try to help best I can.
Since I was waiting for my shell with the flip blade to arrive I had the legacy key programmed and since I have the non lasered key went to my local hardware store and had it cut. (My car doesnt use a transponder chip either)
It works like a charm. It similar to my honda accord keys.
I actually started to get fond of this setup and could live with it.
Before you know it I recieved the shell in the mail and quickly jumped on opening it up to convert my already upgraded stage 1 key to the stage 2 fliparu.
Simple procedure at this point as I removed the screw out the legacy key. Pulled the remote internals out and transplanted it right into the new shell. The Fliparu shell came with a nonlaser and laser blade so back to the hardware store to get it cut. Cut was good and then you slip it into the flip mechanism and insert a metal dowel to keep it from removing.
**Be Aware the spring inside is wound so take it out slowly and have it jump out on you and forever lost.

The final product is the fliparu in its full glory.
So heres my opinion and to each their own.
Since I was able to utilize all three setups I can reflect and say that honestly for my original 3 stated needs the legacy key was the closest winner except for the flip part. It was the most solid setup, least space displaced in my pocket and plain simple.
I had two hiccups in the flip key. The shell material seems cheap( no offense to anyone who has this but after having the audi keys this off the bat is a lesser qaulity.) I actually had to modify mine a very small bit, to get the panic key properly seated and be useable as it seemed to favor the right side more( needed a little amount of dremelling to give its 2 millimeters of space). For me if this wasnt done the panic button would get stuck as it would jam against the corresponding hole.
The key blade on the Fliparu wobbles side to side when opened. I was able to use thick paper stock to wedge in the key blade slot to remove play and it helped alot.
Overall its bulky but since I took the time to work out the kinks and im currently using it but still favor the legacy key.
I am currently working on a modified flip shell to use a small led built in so I can get rid of my swiss led keychain. An improved version should have the led feature, better key blade fitting, and whatever else I come across in the project.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by robby.wrex; 01-22-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM   #1532
xluben
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

That flip shell looks like it has very poor fitment.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #1533
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Member#: 325949

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby.wrex View Post
Hey guys, Like I promised Id let you guys know how it turned out for me in some detail to help out the community get an idea when all is said and done the outcome of a switchblade user. As depicted in the picture the first set of keys with orange and blue buttons, are the original keys for my car. This flip blade key started because: 1.Im not a fan of keyfob and key being seperate 2. Since I previously owned an audi I loved the keys for size, convenience, and its endless entertainment for my fidgety hands. 3. To downsize the space it takes up in my pocket. After some research and some awesome help from guys on this forum i quickly learned there was actually two options that "upgrade" my key fob/key setup. To get to the flip blade switch mod the remote internals on our keys dont fit in any other key shell. So you have to purchase a 2009 legacy key. (pictured in the middle) Yes an 09 legacy fob programs with no issues to the factory system of my 02 wrx. (trunk button doesnt work because it wasnt an option on the car) **Programming I used worked the first time around, pm me if theres any trouble or questions and ill try to help best I can. Since I was waiting for my shell with the flip blade to arrive I had the legacy key programmed and since I have the non lasered key went to my local hardware store and had it cut. (My car doesnt use a transponder chip either) It works like a charm. It similar to my honda accord keys. I actually started to get fond of this setup and could live with it. Before you know it I recieved the shell in the mail and quickly jumped on opening it up to convert my already upgraded stage 1 key to the stage 2 fliparu. Simple procedure at this point as I removed the screw out the legacy key. Pulled the remote internals out and transplanted it right into the new shell. The Fliparu shell came with a nonlaser and laser blade so back to the hardware store to get it cut. Cut was good and then you slip it into the flip mechanism and insert a metal dowel to keep it from removing. **Be Aware the spring inside is wound so take it out slowly and have it jump out on you and forever lost. The final product is the fliparu in its full glory. So heres my opinion and to each their own. Since I was able to utilize all three setups I can reflect and say that honestly for my original 3 stated needs the legacy key was the closest winner except for the flip part. It was the most solid setup, least space displaced in my pocket and plain simple. I had two hiccups in the flip key. The shell material seems cheap( no offense to anyone who has this but after having the audi keys this off the bat is a lesser qaulity.) I actually had to modify mine a very small bit, to get the panic key properly seated and be useable as it seemed to favor the right side more( needed a little amount of dremelling to give its 2 millimeters of space). For me if this wasnt done the panic button would get stuck as it would jam against the corresponding hole. The key blade on the Fliparu wobbles side to side when opened. I was able to use thick paper stock to wedge in the key blade slot to remove play and it helped alot. Overall its bulky but since I took the time to work out the kinks and im currently using it but still favor the legacy key. I am currently working on a modified flip shell to use a small led built in so I can get rid of my swiss led keychain. An improved version should have the led feature, better key blade fitting, and whatever else I come across in the project. [/url][/IMG] [/url][/IMG] [/url][/IMG] [/url][/IMG] [/url][/IMG]
Audi key costs 300 lol of course it's better quality.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #1534
ImBenDood
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 227634
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby.wrex View Post
This is a ****ty mod and the legacy key is better.
Agreed
Old 01-25-2014, 06:22 AM   #1535
brockd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 235571
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

anyone found a key blank for a 2012 impreza 2.0i? its the non laser cut.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #1536
xluben
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockd View Post
anyone found a key blank for a 2012 impreza 2.0i? its the non laser cut.
It is non laser cut (which I have) but it has a groove in both sides (which I don't have).
Old 01-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #1537
brockd
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Totally forgot about the project and found it in my drawer. Took it to a local black smith a while ago and he couldn't find a proper key to use. Maybe I'll try him again or just try to manually cut my valet key.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #1538
Ouisi7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255311
Vehicle:
2008 OBS
Black

Very interested in this mod myself. One thing I thought I would share is that my local Home Depot will cut transponder keys and program the transponder. They said $70 for my '08 OBS. I'm thinking I might be able to get a blank off ebay to source the transponder, then have them cut the new key AND program the transponder. Might even be able to get it for less than the $70 if I supply the key.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #1539
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisi7 View Post
Very interested in this mod myself. One thing I thought I would share is that my local Home Depot will cut transponder keys and program the transponder. They said $70 for my '08 OBS. I'm thinking I might be able to get a blank off ebay to source the transponder, then have them cut the new key AND program the transponder. Might even be able to get it for less than the $70 if I supply the key.
You swap your chip from your key, don't need a program just a laser cut (which they can't do at Home Depot)
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1540
Ouisi7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 255311
Vehicle:
2008 OBS
Black

Quote:
You swap your chip from your key, don't need a program just a laser cut (which they can't do at Home Depot)
Well the problem is that I only received one key when I bought the car. I just don't think it is smart to destroy the key for something that is ultimately personal preference.

Also I do know for a fact that this Home Depot will cut my key. They have a machine that say "laser cut immobilizer keys cut here." I gave the guy my key and the machine said they could cut it the only problem was that he didn't have any blanks for Subarus. I will go back tomorrow and take a picture so you know what I'm talking about.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #1541
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouisi7 View Post
Well the problem is that I only received one key when I bought the car. I just don't think it is smart to destroy the key for something that is ultimately personal preference.

Also I do know for a fact that this Home Depot will cut my key. They have a machine that say "laser cut immobilizer keys cut here." I gave the guy my key and the machine said they could cut it the only problem was that he didn't have any blanks for Subarus. I will go back tomorrow and take a picture so you know what I'm talking about.

So either use the key you have, or order a new one from subaru, and have that chip programmed to your car. Valet keys (if you have one) aren't the same either, they have less program-ability.

You should have more than one key for your car anyway.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #1542
dwong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 362751
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX

If you get the housing from xluben, it comes with a blank blade. You just have to source the transponder yourself
Old 01-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #1543
justin1984
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Black

I've been following this for a while, but haven't read every single reply. However, incase it hasn't already been said, most locksmiths will cut the laser key. Now, before you start jumping all over me hear me out first. If you call the locksmith and ask him if he can cut the laser key, he will most likely ask you what car its for. The instant you tell them its a Subaru, they'll say no because they think its the complete chipped key. ALL of the locksmiths in my area said they would cut just the blank, I told them I had just a blank and they all said no problem, and all of them were $25. I live in the Gardner/Fitchburg area. Jim's Lock and Key said they would do it, also Twin City Lock and Key, those places are both in the Leominster/Fitchburg area said no problem, and a couple others the names slipped my mind. I'm sure most of you told them it was a blank, but for those of you who didn't tell them its just a blank. The person I talked to at Jim's said its not a special machine, he just doesn't do them because he can't program them, which is what most locksmiths say. Thanks for reading my 2 cents, sorry for wasting your time if you thought this was useless.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #1544
robby.wrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374761
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Sedona Red

Justin 1984. Definitelt agree with you.

Same thing happened when I brought the legacy key in and the looked st the keyfob and assumed it wouldnt work.
Tho my key was a non laser key.
Locksmiths dont see these alot or steer away due to being responsible for a cut and it doesnt work.

Most of the time the locksmith needs to know they arent responsible if it doesnt work for the cut key and will try.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:59 AM   #1545
brockd
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 Impreza 2.0i

Quote:
So either use the key you have, or order a new one from subaru, and have that chip programmed to your car. Valet keys (if you have one) aren't the same either, they have less program-ability.

You should have more than one key for your car anyway.
so you're saying i shouldn't use my chip from my valet key? damnit. what are the limitations of that key?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #1546
justin1984
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Black

No, the chips are all the same. He's saying the actual valet blade is different. The blade will not open the glove box or trunk. You cut the valet key up to use the chip in the new housing. Then you can always hide the valet blade under the car or something for those instances when you lock your keys in your car. Just an idea. Anywho, the chip is what you want, after that key will only work to unlock doors.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM   #1547
xluben
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 WRX - 750WHP
9.5s @ 150mph

Correct. The valet chip works fine. The valet key blade itself will not open the glove box or trunk.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:02 AM   #1548
08Legacy-GT
*** Banned ***

Actually I was saying if you need to reprogram something (forget what it was new transponder) that you can't do it with a valet key. My locksmith was telling me that. Idk what it was to reprogram though just that it has limitations compared to a master key
Old 01-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #1549
justin1984
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2013 Impreza WRX
Black

That probably has some truth to it. That being said, if you have two sets of regular keys and the valet key, there would be no problem using the transponder chip from the valet key. Now if you only have one set of keys and the valet key and what that locksmith said was true, then I would find a chip or buy a key from Subaru. I would probably do that anyways if I only had one set of regular keys. I've never owned a vehicle and not had at least three sets of keys, that's just me though.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #1550
Nexeo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 116012
Chapter/Region: RMIC

Finally...

Edit:
Thanks, xluben and Power6, for the instructions!
If I could go back and do it again, I'd get everything I could from xluben as I spent weeks returning things to eBay sellers.
Closed Thread