Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 12, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #26
Fahrenheit85
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488754
Join Date: Jul 2018
Default

Gonna have to check to see if my '19 Limited will have the harness. If it does I'm gonna put the camera in.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Fahrenheit85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
Jewbaru
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1994
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: South Somewhere
Vehicle:
2018 STI
WRB

Default

Need to update my modifications list.
Jewbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #28
Falcon WRX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400310
Join Date: Aug 2014
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Sport
Crystal White Pearl

Default

It would be cool if this could function as a dashcam.
Falcon WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:12 AM   #29
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446616
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurplegentleman View Post
This is the perfect description of what to do and how to do it! Im curious, what/when does the camera activate, like shifting from reverse to drive at low speeds? I was also wondering if you had any knowledge on this type of modification for a 2017 Impreza limited with StarLink, BSD, and turn tracking headlights? I would love to have a camera on the front of my car when parallel parking.
It automatically activates when shifting from reverse to forward, or can be manually triggered with the MFD enter button that the WRX has. I poked around Subaru Japan's site and it doesn't look like the Impreza is offered with a front cam. Unfortunately I'm guessing your MFD doesn't have the video input for one then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnXfreeride View Post
I think this thread is going to wake up once these cameras arent so backordered. Excited to do my install.. have the harness.. awaiting camera..
Hopefully! Waiting sucks, let me know when you get it installed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post
Gonna have to check to see if my '19 Limited will have the harness. If it does I'm gonna put the camera in.
You should have the wiring under the hood, but I don't believe any USDM car has the last stretch of wiring out to the front bumper. If you do you're lucky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon WRX View Post
It would be cool if this could function as a dashcam.
Definitely could be done, I've seen on the Forester forum where someone utilized the factory backup cam to record the rear. However the field of view on the front cam is really wide, a car 10 feet away is like a speck in the distance. It's really just suited for stuff that's close to the front end.
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #30
mavric35
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490822
Join Date: Aug 2018
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Pure Red

Default

Great work Andrew, I am very keen to do this on my 2018 WRX.

Could you PM me the details on your harness? Price etc?

I just took delivery of a pure red WRX CVT w/eyesight Base MY18 here in Australia. Lucky for us even the base models have the steering responsive headlights as standard.

I will check out to see if I have the wiring required on my car over the weekend and report back.

cheers,
Michael
mavric35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #31
SloppyArborist
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 467197
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Villa Rica, GA
Vehicle:
2018 Sti Limited
White

Default

following
SloppyArborist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #32
Briguy6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492921
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

Could you PM me the details on your harness also?

thanks,
Brian
Briguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM   #33
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446616
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric35 View Post
Great work Andrew, I am very keen to do this on my 2018 WRX.

Could you PM me the details on your harness? Price etc?

I just took delivery of a pure red WRX CVT w/eyesight Base MY18 here in Australia. Lucky for us even the base models have the steering responsive headlights as standard.

I will check out to see if I have the wiring required on my car over the weekend and report back.

cheers,
Michael
PM'd you, really interested to see the wiring differences between LHD and RHD. I have a feeling your car may be pre-wired for the side camera as well since the Australian market gets it on certain trims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy6 View Post
Could you PM me the details on your harness also?

thanks,
Brian
PM'd!
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #34
Subie Muchacho
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490151
Join Date: Aug 2018
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI Limited
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Excellent

Now this is an excellent post. Very detailed. Iím definitely interested in this mod. I have a 2018 STI Limited. Where do I start? Thanks.
Subie Muchacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #35
mavric35
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 490822
Join Date: Aug 2018
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Pure Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_l_s View Post
PM'd you, really interested to see the wiring differences between LHD and RHD. I have a feeling your car may be pre-wired for the side camera as well since the Australian market gets it on certain trims.
I am hoping its fully wired for both trim levels we get here. My wife has the MY18 Liberty (2.5i Premium trim) and that car has both cameras and they are very handy. One way or another its going to happen on my car.

Will report back.
mavric35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #36
Briguy6
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 492921
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

PMed a reply to you, thanks!
Briguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #37
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

My camera was supposed to ship Oct 15... still hasnt. Realllly back ordered.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #38
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 424843
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Portland, Or
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Default

Does anyone know if this will work with the older MFD in the 2015-2017 WRXs?
whiplash willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #39
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Does anyone know if this will work with the older MFD in the 2015-2017 WRXs?
Probably not as the screens are different, and thus different inputs to the MFD.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #40
Itachi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 271457
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default

PM sent for harness
Itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #41
RussianTiny
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 387467
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Rochester NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
WRB Stage 2 FlexFuel

Default

Iím pretty sure I talked to you on FB about this once and it looks like youíve taken it a long way! 2018 USDM Limited HK 6MT. Do I just need the front camera and your T harness?
RussianTiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #42
motojo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 491727
Join Date: Sep 2018
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
White

Default

I bought the harness from Andrew and just finished my install last night!

I bought the camera from here:
https://www.subarusource.com/oem-par...iew-86357va010

I also bought screws, but instead just used the ones from the blank that was already in the bumper.



Gallery is here:
https://imgur.com/a/yv0QbKR

Last edited by motojo; 11-07-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Added wrong image URL
motojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:18 PM   #43
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojo View Post
I bought the harness from Andrew and just finished my install last night!

I bought the camera from here:
https://www.subarusource.com/oem-par...iew-86357va010

I also bought screws, but instead just used the ones from the blank that was already in the bumper.



Gallery is here:
https://imgur.com/a/yv0QbKR
Do you have the CVT or MT?
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #44
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Did mine last night too.. took ~1 hour. The hardest part was getting the bumper back on which wasnt even that bad. Had the car on a 2x 2x6 ramp and it lined up at the perfect height to set the bumper onto some empty pampers diaper boxes I had lying around.. did the project alone.


I ran my wire different from the post above and more in line with OPs pathway. I have a lot of pics Ill try and post later.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #45
bungi
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 225505
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sac
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited 6MT
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Did my install today. Hardest part for me was disconnecting the connectors above the washer fluid tank. I couldn't get any leverage on it at all, so I had to remove the battery to get to the top of the clip that holds the connector to the body. Once that was free, I could rotate the connector a bit to get the leverage to disconnect them. Other than that, the rest of the install was pretty straightforward. I also had to reprogram the auto up/down buttons for the front windows since I disconnected the battery.

Thanks again, Andrew!
bungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #46
andrew_l_s
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 446616
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash willy View Post
Does anyone know if this will work with the older MFD in the 2015-2017 WRXs?
Unfortunately it will not. The older style MFD does have a camera input but it's for a backup camera on cars without the display head unit. I am working on a setup for these cars but have run into a few issues. If I find a workaround and get it working 100% I'll definitely be making a post about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Muchacho View Post
Now this is an excellent post. Very detailed. Iím definitely interested in this mod. I have a 2018 STI Limited. Where do I start? Thanks.
Shoot me a PM👍🏼
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianTiny View Post
Iím pretty sure I talked to you on FB about this once and it looks like youíve taken it a long way! 2018 USDM Limited HK 6MT. Do I just need the front camera and your T harness?
You might have, I've been in contact with too many people to keep track of😂 That is correct, the camera and harness are all you need. The screws from the grill cutout can be reused as I and a few other have found out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motojo View Post
I bought the harness from Andrew and just finished my install last night!

I bought the camera from here:
https://www.subarusource.com/oem-par...iew-86357va010

I also bought screws, but instead just used the ones from the blank that was already in the bumper.



Gallery is here:
https://imgur.com/a/yv0QbKR
Awesome! Thanks for the great photos. Enjoy never worrying about scraping your bumper again😎
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnXfreeride View Post
Did mine last night too.. took ~1 hour. The hardest part was getting the bumper back on which wasnt even that bad. Had the car on a 2x 2x6 ramp and it lined up at the perfect height to set the bumper onto some empty pampers diaper boxes I had lying around.. did the project alone.

https://youtu.be/VKByA4As8XA

I ran my wire different from the post above and more in line with OPs pathway. I have a lot of pics Ill try and post later.
Glad you finally got your camera! Please do share your install tips when you get a chance, feedback from another perspective is greatly appreciated👍🏼
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungi View Post
Did my install today. Hardest part for me was disconnecting the connectors above the washer fluid tank. I couldn't get any leverage on it at all, so I had to remove the battery to get to the top of the clip that holds the connector to the body. Once that was free, I could rotate the connector a bit to get the leverage to disconnect them. Other than that, the rest of the install was pretty straightforward. I also had to reprogram the auto up/down buttons for the front windows since I disconnected the battery.

Thanks again, Andrew!
Those connectors are definitely a tricky bit! I used a small screwdriver to pry up the locking tab, which allowed me to focus on just separating the two. There isn't much slack in the wires, and being waterproof connectors they fit together tightly, neither of which make things easier. Thankfully once it's installed you never have to worry about it again!
andrew_l_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.