Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 23, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #2376
Pelco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435599
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza Sport
White

Back at it again with the 5A 91tune, running 87. Why? Because I am fickle.

I was reading, how come sometimes after a tune/mod, you feel like there is a power loss. The answer i found was that most likely the power band has transferred/mutated further up in the RPM range.

The 5A 91 tune has a definite power band change. It picks up faster in the low revs, smooths out the surge around 2.5-3.5k, then gives you more power somewhere in the 4-5k range.

I think that this will cause a little more gas consumption, but only marginally traded for more power, if I get up in those rpms.

I will say that it seems like the idle is lower. But that might be because the tune is still fresca.

Okay bye.
Pelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #2377
flyboy1100
Scooby Guru

Member#: 314216
Vehicle:
2012 2.0i Sport 5MT
DGM

Anyone with a tune had their rear O2 sensor disabled? Any adverse effects from that?
flyboy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:22 AM   #2378
Pelco
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435599
Vehicle:
2016 Impreza Sport
White

So after a couple of weeks on the 91/93 5A tune, I've gotten rather used to it. A linear pull from low to high revs with no real noticeable torque spikes except maybe around 3-4k producing a subtle surge. It is true what Throttle Happy said, it should smooth everything out.

I had previously ran the 91/93 tune on 87 octane. It wasn't the best but it ran. The stock tune I feel is better for 87. Now running the 91/93 tune with actual 91 octane fuel I feel is quite nice.

Low end torque is there. I have even gotten use to the aggressive rev ramp in the very beginning. The tune feels very good on the highway.

I was thinking why I should care where I buy my gas, because high octane in Los Angeles is expensive at the premium national chains. But some of the budget chains have 91 octane too. I actually fill up at 7-eleven quite often and have noticed no real difference in performance other than price. One quote that swayed me was 'car companies don't care who's gas you put in your car, why should you? as long as it meets the octane standard. It seems the only real difference is the blend of engine cleaners each company uses.

Anyway 91 octane in the Throttle Happy 5A 91/93 tune is good for smooth power.

I will say though that I see about a 2 mpg reduction in gas mileage. But that just may be me always running in manual and pressing hard.
Pelco is offline   Reply With Quote