Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #1
brasseagle
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462979
Join Date: Feb 2017
Default Tires

Hi guys! I am planning to upgrade the tires on my 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. I recently checked out Toyo Tires Proxes 1. Is anyone familiar with it?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
brasseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:14 PM   #2
hitman_912
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473562
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Whatever you do, don't get sumitomo. They tramline like nothing else and are bad even with 5k miles. Falken were the best I've had for comfort and noise until 20k miles and I should have stuck with them; grip was still good. Potenza had the best grip but not really comfortable from what I remember.
hitman_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #3
Jenkem
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482809
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default Indy 500s

Firestone Indy 500s are cheap and very good quality. They do have a bit of a different look to them though so that can be one downside. Heard the proxie is a great tire though!
Jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #4
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasseagle View Post
Hi guys! I am planning to upgrade the tires on my 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX. I recently checked out Toyo Tires Proxes 1. Is anyone familiar with it?
I used those on my 1st gen CTS-V. Only got ~5k miles out of the rear tires , and I'm not the sort of guy who leaves every stop in a haze of tire smoke. I was very disappointed in the poor mileage. The front tires still have good meat left on them, so I only replaced the rears; I can't really say how long the fronts will last. Obviously, an AWD car won't see such uneven wear, but the poor tread life was a big turn-off for me. Other than that, I was pretty happy with them - good ride quality and handling, seem pretty quiet, price isn't terrible.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_912 View Post
Whatever you do, don't get sumitomo. They tramline like nothing else and are bad even with 5k miles. Falken were the best I've had for comfort and noise until 20k miles and I should have stuck with them; grip was still good. Potenza had the best grip but not really comfortable from what I remember.
Without specifying which model of tire you were running in which size on which vehicle, none of that advice is at all useful. Sumitomo, Falken, and Bridgestone (Potenza) all make a wide variety of tires, and they don't all behave the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkem View Post
Firestone Indy 500s are cheap and very good quality. They do have a bit of a different look to them though so that can be one downside. Heard the proxie is a great tire though!
I have the Indy 500s on my '96 Impreza, and on the rear summer wheels on my CTS-V (after killing the Proxes1s so quickly). I think they're great, and the fact that the price is great, too, is just icing on the cake. And I think the appearance is actually an upside - the big outer tread blocks really give them a meaty look.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:55 AM   #5
hitman_912
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 473562
Join Date: Aug 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
I used those on my 1st gen CTS-V. Only got ~5k miles out of the rear tires , and I'm not the sort of guy who leaves every stop in a haze of tire smoke. I was very disappointed in the poor mileage. The front tires still have good meat left on them, so I only replaced the rears; I can't really say how long the fronts will last. Obviously, an AWD car won't see such uneven wear, but the poor tread life was a big turn-off for me. Other than that, I was pretty happy with them - good ride quality and handling, seem pretty quiet, price isn't terrible.



Without specifying which model of tire you were running in which size on which vehicle, none of that advice is at all useful. Sumitomo, Falken, and Bridgestone (Potenza) all make a wide variety of tires, and they don't all behave the same.



I have the Indy 500s on my '96 Impreza, and on the rear summer wheels on my CTS-V (after killing the Proxes1s so quickly). I think they're great, and the fact that the price is great, too, is just icing on the cake. And I think the appearance is actually an upside - the big outer tread blocks really give them a meaty look.
My bad, dude has a 2002 WRX and so do I so I'm talking about 225/45r17 on my 17x7.5 v7 sti wheels with 53 offset.


Sumitomo Htr a/s p02

Bridgestone Potenza....the ones that were stock on 04 sti...re070?

Falken ziex something....
hitman_912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.