Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #1
dfj240
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 450300
Vehicle:
1993 GC8 WRX

Default Old Member Introduction - dfj240

I've been a member for quite a number of years now, but I've mostly just used it to search and research questions I've had while I've owned a few Subarus over the past several years. Subarus I've had are 10 STI, 17 BRZ, and wife's had 06 Outback, 16 Impreza.

In any case, enough of the past. My name is Nathan, and I live in the north Dallas area (Denton County). I've been wrenching on cars for some 20 years now, and it never does seem to get old. I don't have as much time these days to do as much work as I'd like, but I still turn a wrench or two here or there.

In any case, this is a Subaru forum, so here's mine:

It's a 1993 Impreza WRX. I imported it and received it back in September. Had 82,000 kms on it when I took delivery of it. Has about 86,000 kms on it now. Mods on it were installed by previous owner in Japan: Nardi Steering Wheel, Razo shift knob, Apex'i World Sport exhaust (catback), and some gold 17 inch wheels that don't seem to be any significant name brand.

So far, the only things I've done is replace a rusted out fuel filler neck, replaced the front sway bar bushings, and installed a stereo. I have a new rear sway bar (little stiffer to combat some understeer), and some other little odds and ends. I'm working up a long-term game plan for what I want to do with it, but the short version is that I'd like to be able to push a little over 250 whp. I have the benefit of having a rather rare closed-deck EJ20G which is known to handle some good power. So my instinct is to P&P the head, upgrade the intercooler, open up the exhaust, maybe some turbo work, etc. In any case, I'm going to try to become more active around here since it's been a number of years since I've spent any considerable time contributing to forums.

Anyway, just wanted to formally introduce myself and say hello. Hopefully, this is the right place to do that. If not, feel free to educate me, and move me.

Thanks.
dfj240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
backslider
Scooby Guru

Member#: 43196
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1999 STi Type R
93GF 95GC 02GD 01SF-T

This is the perfect place, most post to facebook these days (Which I cant stand but I am on there......) I have a 98 that has been converted to a complete Version 5 sti. Way too much to list here. I have a build thread on rs25.com but it hasnt been updated in a while.
backslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #3
dfj240
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 GC8 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslider View Post
This is the perfect place, most post to facebook these days (Which I cant stand but I am on there......) I have a 98 that has been converted to a complete Version 5 sti. Way too much to list here. I have a build thread on rs25.com but it hasnt been updated in a while.
Yea, I can't be bothered with Facebook. It's been about 6 years since I've used it at this point. I'll have to go look for your build on there. Sounds pretty awesome.

In the meantime, I figured I'd post a couple pictures of my previous Subarus since I mentioned them in my original post. After all, everyone loves pictures.

This was my 2010 STI (I really miss this car the most. Sold it to buy a new house)

Traded in the STI for this 2017 BRZ and some cash. Limited trim with the Performance Package. Fun car, much too sluggish for my taste. Sold it and bought a new (to me) truck. It was a nice car though no doubt.

I think I miss the seats in the BRZ the most. Very nice. Might have to try to track some down and find a way to make them fit in the WRX.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
dfj240
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1993 GC8 WRX

Moving away from the old. So far, I haven't done much with the new WRX since I imported it, but I did rip apart the entire interior and clean everything and hunt for rust. I didn't find any in the interior which is great, and found only some small traces of surface rust in the trunk area, which I will take care of.

There was some rust to be found in other areas however. Namely, the usual place for the GC Imprezas, the rear fender. But I also found some rust that had been "patched" by the previous owner at the top corners of the trunk area. I've got a classic car body shop around the corner from my house, and I'm going to take the car over there to see what their thoughts are on the best way to approach knocking that out.

The other spot that had significant rust was the fuel filler neck. So I recently bought a brand new one from Subaru and replaced it. The original one had a pinhole leak right at the bottom of the p-trap that was causing a tiny leak when the car was parked. It was enough to make the whole garage (and kitchen) smell like fuel. Replacement wasn't difficult, but battling through the rust was no picnic. Here's the old vs new. I coated the new one in some rust sealing silver paint that closely resembled the factory silver color. Came out fine.

Today I'm taking the car up to a buddy of mine in Lewisville to have a good look through it and we're going to come up with a build plan for it.

Last edited by dfj240; 01-24-2019 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Found some more pictures to add