Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
Kahres05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131451
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 &2019 WRX
2017 MX5-RF-LE

Default Subispeed V1/V2 headlights

I just got a 2019 premium in the dark metallic gray and I came across these lights on Subispeed and other sites. I heard some bad things and some very good things about them. Right now I leaning towards the V2. I think they would look really sharp on the car especially with the little bit of red accent that is in the light with the V2's. The little bit of smoked out look and the sequential is not a necessity for me but like that the turn signal is used in the C-light. I know some have mentioned the lights bulge out a bit but that does not bother me. Unfortunately the newer WRX models no longer share the same stock plug to upgrade to Led lighting. If I purchase the V1/V2, the stock halogens will be boxed and stored just in case I ever trade in the car in which they will essentially be brand new.

I'm asking members here to please post your review of these lights in either V1 or V2. I definitely want to know your experiences with these lights. If they are worth it, if they shine much better light vs the halogens? And if V1/V2's are made better than one over the other. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Kahres05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Joey B 18c
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 472075
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Chicago
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
Black

Default

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to buy them but it just seems like it's too much of a risk on condensation.

I think the circuit demon lights are far superior. I also think the quad projector look (blacked out all the housing) looks pretty good and is probably 1/3 of the cost.
Joey B 18c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Kahres05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131451
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 &2019 WRX
2017 MX5-RF-LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey B 18c View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, I want to buy them but it just seems like it's too much of a risk on condensation.

I think the circuit demon lights are far superior. I also think the quad projector look (blacked out all the housing) looks pretty good and is probably 1/3 of the cost.
Thanks for the heads up about Circuit Demon...never heard of these guys and leaves some options on the table. I just wonder about the ones that look like stock that they dress up....wonder if they are just the $350 eBay lights that they just make fancy. As far as the Subispeed ones they do, they are definitely cool. Iím not afraid to modify especially if they are just getting these on eBay....I just want a quality set of very cool lights. I think some of the condensation problems that pop up on the subispeed ones could be avoided with a good inspection just make sure they are air light. Just crazy that so many here are modifying their stock lights but none going the after market route to preserve the originals. Still waiting on real world experiences on here besides You tube.
Kahres05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
soloz2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260128
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Western NY
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Circuit Demon does good work. Jeff is a good guy. I haven't had him mod any headlights for me, but he's local and a couple years back I had a bulb out on my HID retrofit and stopped in to buy some new bulbs. He helped me install them as the clips had been changed and mine needed to be switched out. It turned out to be a bad relay that was covered under Morimoto warranty and he hooked me up on the spot. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to do mods if it was beyond what I felt comfortable doing myself.
soloz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
stijosh_
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 484027
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Central Florida
Vehicle:
2017 STI Limited
Crystal Pearl White Girl

Default

Biggest turn off for me for those headlights is the fact that they look like mustang headlights. I took it upon myself to get a good friend of mine retrofit my headlights, especially after finding out that most shops didn't even want to touch my kind of build, or were charging over $1k on labor (me providing all parts). I remember reaching out to circuit demon about doing a quad headlight set up and they blew me off. Retrofitting the highbeam is necessary in order to fit a round projector. I would suggest doing this to an aftermarket pair of headlights, as the housing already comes blacked out, and the majority if not all of the housing is plastic, which makes it easier to trim away. The only nuisance to deal with these aftermarket sets is that factory ballasts do not recognize these aftermarket lights, which cause a light on your dash to come on (indicating that your headlights aren't working, because its not communicating). I'm not sure if anybody has found a way around removing the light on the dash when working with an aftermarket set of lights. In terms of condensation, mine is close to none. I only ever see it build up slightly on one headlight after a thorough wash. I used morimoto retro rubber butyl sealant. I found that this causes issues when trying to recess the headlight lens completely back, since the sealant itself creates a layer between the lens and housing. A friend of mine came across a particular silicon for headlight retrofitting that we will use soon in order to gain more space to push forth the lens further back into the housing.

As for your question regarding subispeed's lights, for what you're paying for, I could imagine if you have a shop provide parts/labor you'll most likely end up spending about the same for a set of headlights that you really want.

So far here's how mine look-

stijosh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #6
Kahres05
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131451
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2005 &2019 WRX
2017 MX5-RF-LE

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stijosh_ View Post
Biggest turn off for me for those headlights is the fact that they look like mustang headlights. I took it upon myself to get a good friend of mine retrofit my headlights, especially after finding out that most shops didn't even want to touch my kind of build, or were charging over $1k on labor (me providing all parts). I remember reaching out to circuit demon about doing a quad headlight set up and they blew me off. Retrofitting the highbeam is necessary in order to fit a round projector. I would suggest doing this to an aftermarket pair of headlights, as the housing already comes blacked out, and the majority if not all of the housing is plastic, which makes it easier to trim away. The only nuisance to deal with these aftermarket sets is that factory ballasts do not recognize these aftermarket lights, which cause a light on your dash to come on (indicating that your headlights aren't working, because its not communicating). I'm not sure if anybody has found a way around removing the light on the dash when working with an aftermarket set of lights. In terms of condensation, mine is close to none. I only ever see it build up slightly on one headlight after a thorough wash. I used morimoto retro rubber butyl sealant. I found that this causes issues when trying to recess the headlight lens completely back, since the sealant itself creates a layer between the lens and housing. A friend of mine came across a particular silicon for headlight retrofitting that we will use soon in order to gain more space to push forth the lens further back into the housing.

As for your question regarding subispeed's lights, for what you're paying for, I could imagine if you have a shop provide parts/labor you'll most likely end up spending about the same for a set of headlights that you really want.

So far here's how mine look-

Your headlights do look awesome! But honestly don't want to put that kind of time and effort into it. As far as the subispeed lights, the mustang look is there with the slashes but they did enough to the light to make it their own. I'm more into just very cool drop in replacements at this time and I especially like the V2's. Thanks for the input though
Kahres05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Blake11d7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471082
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Black

Default V2's all the way!!

I have the V2's and they are super bright. I had the stock LED's and these are soo much brighter. People flick they're brights at me thinking mine are on, then I unleash the brightness of a thousand suns as I blind them with my brights lol. Plus the DRL's and sequential turns look SICK!! You should look into getting the sequential fog light bezels from them as well, it makes for a sweet turn signal look. As far as condensation, I haven't noticed anything and I live in Iowa and the weather is nuts here, so you're good. If you're going for a blacked out look, the V2's are the way to go!
Blake11d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
SirBrass
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207263
Join Date: Mar 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern PA
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
World Rally Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
Circuit Demon does good work. Jeff is a good guy. I haven't had him mod any headlights for me, but he's local and a couple years back I had a bulb out on my HID retrofit and stopped in to buy some new bulbs. He helped me install them as the clips had been changed and mine needed to be switched out. It turned out to be a bad relay that was covered under Morimoto warranty and he hooked me up on the spot. I wouldn't hesitate to ask him to do mods if it was beyond what I felt comfortable doing myself.
I wonder if they can mod the 18+ Limited LED SRH headlights and replace that incandescent turn signal bulb with a LED switchback sequential turn signal (standard function would be as DRL). That + the DD switchback c-light would be sweet.
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #9
soloz2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 260128
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Western NY
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

I bet Jeff could do that. He is right in Rochester.
soloz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #10
Levinrolla
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413161
Join Date: Feb 2015
Vehicle:
2017 STI
CWP

Default

I've also been wanting to know about how well these lights hold up to every day weather. I have seen Subispeed's taillights build heavy condensation in the past but I haven't checked out their newer versions. They have quality products but not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on something that is not easily removed from the car for warranty replacement. Has anyone owned these for a long period of time? Could also be hit or miss if you end up getting a defective product from the start.
Levinrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:57 PM   #11
Blake11d7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471082
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Black

Default

I have had mine on since the beginning of June and no problems so far. They even come with a 1-year warranty and Subispeed has EXCELLENT customer service. That's the only place I buy from because of their customer service. I didn't have a big enough fuse in the add a fuse so my brights wouldn't turn on, I thought they were defective. I contacted them and they sent me replacements within a week with no issue. When the replacements had the same issue is when I trouble shot the fuse. If, by the off chance they did have condensation, I doubt they would have any problem taking care of them for you. (I wish I knew how to post pics to this)
Blake11d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #12
Buffman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 189212
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: MI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Default

I'm curious as how they'd do in the fog. How many lumens are they outputting?
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
jonmbaez
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496620
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Can you post any picture of the low beam light output? very curious
jonmbaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Blake11d7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 471082
Join Date: Jul 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Iowa
Vehicle:
2016 STi
Black

Default

Yea I can snap some pics tonight. I've never attached a picture to one of these things. It asks for a url? Whats that about?
Blake11d7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #15
teemfedx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 360349
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default

To add to this discussion:

I know the subispeed headlights are on backroder, but does the 19 wrx halogen (non-sti) have the same 12 pin connector as the 18 halogen?
teemfedx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.