Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2019, 10:05 PM   #876
Barge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 62941
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Northville, MI
Vehicle:
2004 #LesboRacer
#TunedbyBarge

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
I also need to decide on modifying the ancient original engine harness or building one from scratch. Kind of worried about all of the wires sealing correctly but I do have several new oem engine harness connectors with pins and grommets.
Make a new harness.

I custom made one for mine with tefzel wire, all motorsports heatshrink. So much nicer.

Also you can get every connector you need brand new. I sourced all mine new but i also changed a bunch of stuff to accommodate all the sensor/devices changes i've made.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:12 PM   #877
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

I bought eight or so oem type connector (same as the original grays that came on the 93-01) pairs with male and female. Happened to catch some company on ebay selling some stock they didn't use. Some are the same pin count as original, and others have fewer if I decide to add more gadgets. I was also considering isolating the high current wires on their own connectors and having the sensitive circuits on others. Don't have my own garage unfortunately, or I could try fitting things up bit by bit. Everything has to be done after work..at work. It's tough to be motivated to stay after.

Also purchased a few different 25-50' lengths quality tin plated wire but not enough to do a complete wire job. Even got some quality crimpers designed specifically for the tiny oem style terminals. There are some cool websites that offer great prices on quality connectors and accessories.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #878
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Another Happy Spoolinator Customer @ Snail Performance

Mods:
IAG Stage 3 Tuff shortblock
Headgames Pocket-ported Heads /w a full valvetrain upgrade
GCS S1 cams
GTX3576 gen2 (KB Spoolinator turbo kit)
KB ELH /w EWG, Full 3" exhaust
ID1700 injectors
-8an/-6an feed/return fuel lines
Radium Dual Pump Surge tank /w AEM 320 pumps (secondary pump triggered by a Hobbs switch)
Speed Density kit /w 3.5 MAP sensor
TGV deletes
FMIC
IAG Comp AOS
Cobb Flexfuel kit
Misc: oil cooler and accusump
Tuning Goals:
Primarily for the track/road course


Last edited by KillerBMotorsport; 09-19-2019 at 02:23 PM.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #879
2slofouru
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 90539
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Lake Charles
Vehicle:
My BOV goes
COVFEFE!

Default

Impressive!

What are your impressions on using hobbs switch type setups for pumps? Obviously the switch engagement accuracy will vary slightly so far as pressure is concerned, so does the pressure regulator react so quickly the ecu doesn't need to compensate when the second pump kicks in?

I'm deciding on which way to go with possibly voltage boosting the 400, instead of running twins, only when running at the upper end of the power range.
2slofouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:56 PM   #880
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

So there's no gtx3067 gen 2.

But there IS a gen 2 67mm wheel, and a gt30 hotside & compressor cover CAN be machined to fit it (i.e you can get a gen 2 upgrade for your gen 1).

I presume garrett didn't sell enough to bother making a gen 2 version, but boy is it tempting to get one made...


I had a chat with GCG turbochargers over here in aussieland and apparently the 82mm wheel can be mated to the gt40 hotside too, effectively a gtx4082 gen 2 if you want to go totally baller.

Last edited by vicious_fishes; 09-21-2019 at 11:01 PM.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 AM   #881
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
So there's no gtx3067 gen 2.

But there IS a gen 2 67mm wheel, and a gt30 hotside & compressor cover CAN be machined to fit it (i.e you can get a gen 2 upgrade for your gen 1).

I presume garrett didn't sell enough to bother making a gen 2 version, but boy is it tempting to get one made...


I had a chat with GCG turbochargers over here in aussieland and apparently the 82mm wheel can be mated to the gt40 hotside too, effectively a gtx4082 gen 2 if you want to go totally baller.
yeah I think i read some where that the gen 2 2867 compressor wont fit in the gen 1 housing for some reason so yeah housing too probably easier to but a super core
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #882
eaglehunter
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 216747
Join Date: Jul 2009
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2009 STi
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Another Happy Spoolinator Customer @ Snail Performance

Mods:
IAG Stage 3 Tuff shortblock
Headgames Pocket-ported Heads /w a full valvetrain upgrade
GCS S1 cams
GTX3576 gen2 (KB Spoolinator turbo kit)
KB ELH /w EWG, Full 3" exhaust
ID1700 injectors
-8an/-6an feed/return fuel lines
Radium Dual Pump Surge tank /w AEM 320 pumps (secondary pump triggered by a Hobbs switch)
Speed Density kit /w 3.5 MAP sensor
TGV deletes
FMIC
IAG Comp AOS
Cobb Flexfuel kit
Misc: oil cooler and accusump
Tuning Goals:
Primarily for the track/road course



Very nice for sure. One question though.. Looks like power is dropping off quite a bit after 6,300... Would those heads and cams not allow you to push higher through the rev range to closer to 8,000rpm while continuing making (or at least holding) power as well?
eaglehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #883
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slofouru View Post
Impressive!

What are your impressions on using hobbs switch type setups for pumps? Obviously the switch engagement accuracy will vary slightly so far as pressure is concerned, so does the pressure regulator react so quickly the ecu doesn't need to compensate when the second pump kicks in?

I'm deciding on which way to go with possibly voltage boosting the 400, instead of running twins, only when running at the upper end of the power range.
I wish I had an answer for you but we don't use Hobbs switches.

Nick
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #884
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

deleted

Last edited by KillerBMotorsport; 09-23-2019 at 02:04 PM.
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:01 PM   #885
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglehunter View Post
Very nice for sure. One question though.. Looks like power is dropping off quite a bit after 6,300... Would those heads and cams not allow you to push higher through the rev range to closer to 8,000rpm while continuing making (or at least holding) power as well?
5% drop-off isn't what I'd consider to be quite a bit. There is always going to be some amount of drop as the compressor flows into and beyond the ideal efficiency range.

We didn't test/tune this car at our shop, nor have we ever used those cams. Based on our own personal experience, I would say on the street that drop off is likely gone or near non-existent and it revs out a bit more. One thing that can be somewhat limiting with dyno tuning is airflow. You'll never have airflow as good as you do on the street
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:25 AM   #886
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

most of that kind of stuff is either cam profiles or a small restriction somewhere e.g a catted exhaust.

a 3576 has more than enough airflow to keep up.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #887
KillerBMotorsport
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 198281
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
2005 WRX/STi
WRB of course

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious_fishes View Post
most of that kind of stuff is either cam profiles or a small restriction somewhere e.g a catted exhaust.

a 3576 has more than enough airflow to keep up.
Agreed
KillerBMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:14 AM   #888
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerBMotorsport View Post
Agreed
Yeah, I still remember the dyno plots from when dom & micah did the original destroker 2.35 holding full power (zero dropoff) to 9,000rpm with a gen 1 gtx3582 that iirc was a 0.82 hotside.

they also had 282 degree cams in it.


high rpm airflow is not the issue with a turbo this size, cam profile is. if you want high rpm power, you need some lumpy cams. s1's are the most "streetable" cam GSC make: https://www.power-division.com/subar...ake-camshafts/


throw some cranky cams in it and this thing would scream out to 8,000.

great info to know exactly what's possible RE: spool & peak power with a gen 2 3576 on an EJ though.

Last edited by vicious_fishes; 09-26-2019 at 12:19 AM.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:20 AM   #889
vicious_fishes
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 SOHC destroker

Default

on a related note, anyone put a 3071 (either gen) on one of these kits?
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.