Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #1
wrxchete
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472953
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2017 WRX '17
WRB

Default Oem Audio + 500q System

OK. So I' ll divide my experience with this system in two.

PART 1.

First, I ordered the 500Q system for a '17 WRX. When I got the system, I got a bad amp and these pretty much sums up how it sounded at the begging.

I just installed my system and had a few issues with it. I find the tweeters are way to crisp (high pitched). Also, I have to turn the volume all the way up for it to sound nice. With the stock system I would usually listen to music between 35-43 volume, now I have to turn it up all the way to 55 almost 60. I feel the system sounds better but it is quieter than the stock.

I am also getting weird noises from the speakers. Basically all of my music sounds like I am playing it from a record player (static noises). Engine noise is also coming through the speakers which is very annoying when you are driving with the volume down or when trying to talk on the phone.

They sound like this all the time.

To be fair, it is not all bad. It is a fuller sound, has more depth, mostly because of the subwoofer, but I expected a lot more from the system after seeing all of the reviews and the price. The tweeters are high pitched. The bass can get annoyingly loud with some genres. I read lots of reviews where people said that it was a balanced system, but I don't find it to be.

I wanted to know if any you has had a similar experience.

PART 2

They sent me the new amp (for free) and it work much better. They fixed the low output from the speakers, but all the other issues are still there.

I still have engine noise and static in the speakers. I talked with Daniel over at OEM AUDIO PLUS a couple of times trying to come up with a solution for these issues but they couldn't give me one that worked.

I would appreciate your opinions and solutions.

WRXCHETE.
wrxchete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Mcooprr101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434819
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited MT
CWP

I was about to order this system and decided to go custom.

Total for my parts will be 1400 with install professionally.

I got:
Sony XAV-AX5000 Headunit (Carplay/AA)
Pionneer GMD8604 AMP
Pioneer TS-D65C Component System
JL 10 Inch woofer with box (slanted so it fits in trunk against back seats.
iDataLink RR and SUB2 cable/adapter
Scosche Gloss Black Bezel
Mcooprr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
PenguinSpin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 480482

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxchete View Post
I wanted to know if any you has had a similar experience.

WRXCHETE.
You might have your alternator checked, static on stereo is classic symptom of a slowly dying alternator.
I have none of the problems you experience, and i have the 500Q.
I have an 18 STI with base stereo. The 18 stereo is a minor upgrade over the 17 I think, so this isn't a straight comparison. I also have the Kicker speakers. Before the OEM+, I needed to turn the volume to at least 40 just to hear it, and then at 50 the HU was like "dude i'm out." The kicker tweeters were the only thing I could really hear.

WIth the 500Q, my speakers sound clear, I'm usually at a volume of 30 to 40 and that's a bit loud. No static or engine noise.

The problems you describe can be traced, generally. Start here or something like this. A car stereo shop would also be able to check?
https://speakerchampion.com/get-rid-...udio-speakers/

Personally, the power wire routing for the OEM+ Leaves me a bit nervous. It would be really easy to scrape the shielding off that power wire and get a short, which would cause these problems. When I installed the system I thought "if I damage any of the wires, it's going to be this one." My first steps troubleshooting OEM+ would be to recrimp the power wire...check the power wire for continuity... pull and inspect the power wire for damage...
PenguinSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #4
PenguinSpin
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcooprr101 View Post
I was about to order this system and decided to go custom.

l
You should get custom speaker adapters from this guy. http://carstereoadapters.com/subaru-speaker-spacers

IF you have an 18, things are a little different for the Maestro. Follow the threads and comments by phd12v on forums.nasioc.com. One recent post, he gave a contact at iDatalink for installers to talk with BEFORE they take things apart. He also posts lots of "unofficial" information about 'making it work.'
Yesterday he just posted product update info https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2882493
Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
PenguinSpin
Scooby Newbie

EDIT: NM wrong thread
Old 08-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #6
kamikaze158
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 475661
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX STI
Pure Red

I've had similar issues as well on their first batch of 500Q. Second amp fixed the issue. Good volume, crystal clear, more fuller sound, no background noise, Good soundstage. Only problem I still have since I first received the system is that the sub amp has never worked. No power on. Back and forth communications, 3 different amps...Nada. Main amp works fine, Just no sub power. 8 months later still nothing. MY18 STI. I really enjoy the sound of the system even without the sub, But damn this is pissing me off. Getting ready to rip the thing apart for a refund.
kamikaze158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:02 AM   #7
wrxchete
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX '17
WRB

I will have a shop chek the power cable.

As you said, it was a pain to run that power cable to the engine bay, so it might be damaged. I hope I can fix this issue I am having with the 500Q system.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 AM   #8
wrxchete
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2017 WRX '17
WRB

I feel you. Specially when the only reason I chose OEM AUDIO + over a custom setup was to avoid the issues I am having.

Hope you get your amp fixed. I am about to do the same. Ship the whole system back and get a refund.

I emailed Daniel a couple of days a go and still have no answer from them.
I hae