Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday October 18, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Snoop
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20626
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Thumbs up Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90

I haven't read too much about this stuff on here yet, so wanted to post my findings. I just swapped out my tranny fluid again. As a history, I did this for the first time around 42.5k after getting some grinding into 3rd gear. I originally swapped with straight Valvoline 75W90 dino gear oil but the grinds didn't go away. I drained a little less than 1 Qt. of that and put in some Penzoil Synchromesh. That more less stopped my grinding, but I got worried about not having GL-5 rated fluid in there.

So yesterday, I drained the whole tranny again and this time refilled with Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90. It's GL-5 and MT-1 rated, so should be good enough rating wise for our trannys. I guess this stuff is supposed to be replacing the 2000 series Amsoil oil, but this stuff isn't blue like the 2000 stuff suppositively was (I never used it so can't confirm).

About 40-50 miles later and so far so good. No real physical difference in shifting performance. But there are still no grinds into 3rd. *crosses fingers* I only ended up putting in 3.2 quarts or so, so not all the old stuff got out. But there shouldn't be more than 0.1 qt of synchomesh in anymore, by my estimates.

I'll keep you posted if I experience anything bad with this stuff further down the road.

(I posted this originally in the Service/Maintenance forum. I meant to put it here. Sorry for the double post.)
Snoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links