Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-23-2001, 11:14 PM   #1
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6375
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default Raw Fuel Smell Inside Cabin - WRX

Every once in a while, just driving around, no matter if the car is warmed up, cruising at 40 mph, or otherwise...

The smell of freshly pumped gas enters the cabin through the air vents....... it is a little overpowering, enough for me to put the air on re-circulate, or shut it off, whilst opening my windows to let fresh air in....

I went to the dealer once with this problem a couple of weeks ago, they checked for leaks, did a road test, and found nothing....

It hadn't happened for a while again, until tonight.... dammit! I thought it was gone......

Looks like I'll be going back to the dealer..... ( no CEL either)

Any ideas?

Kenneth2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2001, 10:53 AM   #2
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default HELP!

No ideas anyone?
Old 12-25-2001, 12:27 PM   #3
fluffybunny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5408
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

you're saying it doesn't matter if it's warm or not? what's the weather like?

i'm just noticing this with my WRX, too. but for me it's gotta be cold.

we haven't had a winter until the last couple days in Nebraska, and i don't have to park outside, but the last few days, it's been butt cold and snowy (yay!) and i've had to park outside while visiting family (yay! for family, BOO! for outside parking.)

i've noticed a raw fuel smell in my cabin twice now.

i'm speculating that it's running really really rich to try to warm up, so there's raw fuel in the exhaust. but if anyone has any other ideas, i'm more than open.

i was thinking of driving to colorado in about a week or so, so i hope to get something figured out soon.

i have a Scoobysport catback exhaust and i've done the intake silencer removal and i use synthetic oil. otherwise stock.

the bunny
fluffybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2001, 12:31 PM   #4
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Matt? it's Brett.....you know... blaze yellow WRX......Stromung... (Omaha) ...etc....

I first noticed it a few weeks ago when the weather got cold..... I do have to say that it is cold outside... but not necessarily when the engine is cold.. so to speak.....

I have an appointment at Edwards-Archer on Wed. morning..... I'll let you know what I find out.....
Old 12-25-2001, 02:06 PM   #5
fluffybunny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

hahahahahahahahaha

what up brett? bummer it's you having problems.

thanks, i'd appreciate anything you find out. i was thinking about scheduling a time with edwards, too. don't feel like giving olsen the time of day.

hope you're having a merry Christmas. if you're going to Kevin's for the WRC day, i'm planning on being there. i've heard you've got a hella fast car now. i'm jealous and i wanna see it.

i would say though, since i'm having a similar problem, it's not due to any mods you've done. i know you're missing some kittens underneath there

one thing, i know we got our cars around the same time, i wonder if it's something with this production run. i would guess we're pretty close together date of manufacture wise. but this is also just idle thought and speculation...too much spare time on the holiday to think about stuff...

i've got 9400 miles on my car now. you gotta be over 10, but i don't think you're too far ahead of me now...

family calls...
later
matty
Old 12-25-2001, 02:13 PM   #6
fluffybunny
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WR Blue

i didn't even look at your info on the side there...haha.

i'll try to give ya a call later today or something.

i returned your pm...
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 AM   #7
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

The car is at Lake Manawa now......

Awaiting patiently.....

I'm also having them replace my sparkplugs (Denso Iridiums), flush my coolant (and insert samco hose) Oil change......check my ABS ... (they seem a little sensitive)
Old 12-26-2001, 08:40 PM   #8
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Unhappy

Well, once again... the techs at subaru could not duplicate the raw gas smell... so... nothing's wrong with my car......for the second time now...... (apparently I'm imagining the whole thing) (maybe I like bringing my car down to the dealer every once in a while, during my work day, just to spend some time with the service department... you know, to drink some free coffeee on them while I'm there.......)

OH Well.....

I made a complaint with SOA's Customer Service line... the lady on the phone almost made it sound like..... "It's normal" "I have an Impreza too, and for the first few thousand miles it had this burnt, gas scent... but it went away" .....

Hmmmm.... let me see....... If I were told that every once in a while, sometimes, a dozen times a day, it will smell like you're on top of a gas pump... so bad that you will have to open your windows.. in 20 degree weather to get a breath of fresh air.........

NO, I don't think this is normal, and it irritating the crap out of me......

I'm sure it will happen again tomorrow.......just can't wait.....
Old 12-28-2001, 11:04 AM   #9
omahasubaru
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1594
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
2002 Legacy

Brett check the thread in the midwest forum about this and if you want stop over around 1:00 PM or so and I'll take a look at a few things for you. Matt will likely be over as well so I can put his skids on.

Jon
omahasubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
Kenneth2000
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Angry Has Anyone else had this?

I've now brought my car to the dealer 3 times for this problem.

It is absolutely ridiculous. It's below freezing outside, I need fresh air - heat to keep windows from fogging.... the gas enters the heating system, and almost makes it impossible to breathe in the cabin, have to shut off the heat, open the window, and freeze my ass off.......***?

I know Achilles38wrx, fluffybunny and myself have this problem. It comes an goes, and usually happens when it is cold outside.

Anyone else in the midwest or further north, north east have any issues?

Also, my car's mfg. date was 03/01, so was fluffybunny's....

I'm going to the dealer a 4th time for this problem now.....

Last edited by Kenneth2000; 01-02-2002 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:29 PM   #11
LordIcon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 102451

Edit:

Last edited by LordIcon; 12-07-2005 at 07:51 PM.
LordIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
turbochico
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212067
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
silver

hello and I hope this is solved, I live in LA and it has been hot here. Every now and then when the windows are down, I get whiffs of raw fuel. it's unnerving...
turbochico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
blackfang
Scooby Guru

Member#: 131347
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 Legacy 2.5i SE

No, what is unnerving is you bumping a 6 year old thread and you didn't even search because there are newer and more recent threads on this including the recall/warranty extension in this very section!
blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
nitrous3852
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209500
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

I also have the same problem. My buddy who works for Subaru said there is a recall on the fuel lines and it leaks a little when cold out.
nitrous3852 is offline   Reply With Quote