Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-07-2018, 02:47 AM   #1
Rtlujan31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488057
Default Lowering a Forester

So I recently picked up a 2001 forester. And I was just wondering what the best way of lowering it is? What are some ways you guys have done it? I know 02-07 Impreza struts fit it, but Is that the best option? Or is coilovers a better option?? I donít want to spend a whole lot, but if itís the better option then Iíll consider it!
Rtlujan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Kyle_132
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtlujan31 View Post
So I recently picked up a 2001 forester. And I was just wondering what the best way of lowering it is? What are some ways you guys have done it? I know 02-07 Impreza struts fit it, but Is that the best option? Or is coilovers a better option?? I donít want to spend a whole lot, but if itís the better option then Iíll consider it!

Get lowering springs if you donít want to spend money. Iíd really suggest coilovers and spend the extra dollar. Lowering springs bad for shocks.
Kyle_132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:28 AM   #3
Rtlujan31
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_132 View Post
Get lowering springs if you donít want to spend money. Iíd really suggest coilovers and spend the extra dollar. Lowering springs bad for shocks.

Would coilovers be better than doing Impreza struts?? Wouldnít struts be a more comfortable ride??
Rtlujan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Sour_K
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 370021
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Hatchback
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtlujan31 View Post
Would coilovers be better than doing Impreza struts?? Wouldnít struts be a more comfortable ride??
I looked up the difference in weight vs a 2001 Forester and a 2002 Impreza, and its at most 300 lbs stock. I knew a bunch of kids in High School that would swap suspension on their Subarus, they would bolt right in, I don't know about the longevity of it though. My main concern would be that the Forester is heavier, and if you add too much weight to it you could damage the suspension, but that would be determined by what you use the Forester for. Remember that you get what you pay for though. You can find a cheap set of stock suspension on here I'm sure, but it may be worth your while to spend a little extra money to get something that will last. I had lowering springs with stock struts on my WRX when I bought it, and they lasted about 3 years. Now I've got coilovers, and granted they're a bit more money, but they have a 5 year warranty, and they're specifically made for my car. Your car your call, just my $.02.
Sour_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 AM   #5
Back Road Runner
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60082
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 Forester STI
Silver

The Forester is basically an extra wagony Impreza. The key Suspension differences are the tall struts with springs with a LOT of preload (lifts the body up high), and the subframe has a 1" lift block to tweak the suspension geometry for the stock taller ride height. The simple lowering option is just tossing on Impreza suspension and get the car realigned.
Back Road Runner is offline   Reply With Quote