Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-14-2015, 03:57 AM   #1
Mudzz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291092
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

Default 2011 Impreza Taillights + License Plate Lights not working

I have a 2011 WRX Sedan and about a week ago my Taillights and license plate lights went out. I thought it might have been a loose connection at first but the following mourning after they wouldn't turn on they magically turned on again. Didn't really care at first. Than a few days ago by and it happened again when I was going to dinner, came back from dinner and again they turned back on without moving the car. Took a different car due to the cops around here will pull you over for anything. I have a wiring diagram I got off of All Data and it might be a relay stuck on the off position. I'm going to start diagnosing it tomorrow working my way from front to back. Was curious if anyone has any input on this issue or anything similar.
Mudzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I think the front and rear lights are separated through the dash fuse panel. Try tapping on it to see if that changes things. There may be a loose connection there.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:20 AM   #3
Mudzz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 291092
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
WRB

I replaced the relay yesterday and seems to be doing fine for now. If it starts happening again I'll update this thread. Very odd but I think the relay was stock closed when I turned the headlights on.
Mudzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #4
Mkunkle09
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 307669
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2009 Wrx
Charcoal gray

Default Bringing it back up

Hey I'm having the same issue right now... Which relay did you replace?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudzz View Post
I replaced the relay yesterday and seems to be doing fine for now. If it starts happening again I'll update this thread. Very odd but I think the relay was stock closed when I turned the headlights on.
Mkunkle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #5
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The relay for the taillights should be in the dash fuse panel.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #6
LilBlackHatchback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 496564

I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same problem with my 2011 Impreza 2.5i, I have a relay on order but I'm not sure which dash relay I need to replace. I'd rather not take each one out and try them..................
LilBlackHatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

I tend to think that the problem isn't with the relay but a connection somewhere else, but I could be wrong about that. The taillight relay is located in the dash fuse panel in the older cars, it may still be there on yours also.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
LilBlackHatchback
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
I tend to think that the problem isn't with the relay but a connection somewhere else, but I could be wrong about that. The taillight relay is located in the dash fuse panel in the older cars, it may still be there on yours also.
The stalk/twist switch for controlling the vehicle's likes is just over a year old I installed a new on last fall when I added foglights, I don't think this part would fail in that time, the relays are all original as far as I know. Also the license plate light does not come on with either remote or standard starting of the car, shifting does not cause the light to come on either.
There are 4 on the innner dash panel, which one is for the tail lights/license plate light?

A little more: when I turn on the car with remote start the tail lights turn on, but when I get in the car and put it into drive the tail lights shut off. Switching them on does nothing. Its worth noting that signals work flawlessly and reverse lights work flawlessly.

Here is my reddit post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/subaru/comm..._off_when_put/

Reddit Post: "
Experiencing an odd problem with my 2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 4EAT . Last night a local cop told me that my tail lights were out but that my brake lights worked. I inspected it today and this is what I found:

- When remote started the tail lights turn on like they are supposed to

- They stay on when I unlock the car

- Tail lights shut off when I put the car in drive

- They don't come back when switched to park.

- Brake lights work still

- Signals still work

- Reverse lights still work.

The fact that the lights even work mean the fuses and wires have to be intact right ? Any ideas what this problem could be ? I googled it a bit but most of the info is for older legacies and outbacks not Imprezas.

EDIT:
Headlights/Highbeams swtich on and work fine. Trying to switch on the tail/DRL/parking light switch results in the relay firing (I can hear it) bu the outside lights don't switch on. "

I have a replacement relay in hand and I live near the automile so I have access to dealorship parts and every auto part franchise is within .5 miles from me. I'm just having a heck of a time trying to figure this out.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Since the taillights go out when the shifter is used then those lights would seem to be controlled by the shifter somehow. It could be through a module of some sort. I don't have any data for this later model car so I can't help with that part.

The light switch seems to be okay since you can hear the relay activate. You need to check the power after the relay to make sure power is getting past the relay. You should invest in a factory service manual for the car. The best money you could spend on it. It will show you where things are at to do testing. Ebay is a good place to get manuals for a reasonable price.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #10
LilBlackHatchback
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Since the taillights go out when the shifter is used then those lights would seem to be controlled by the shifter somehow. It could be through a module of some sort. I don't have any data for this later model car so I can't help with that part.

The light switch seems to be okay since you can hear the relay activate. You need to check the power after the relay to make sure power is getting past the relay. You should invest in a factory service manual for the car. The best money you could spend on it. It will show you where things are at to do testing. Ebay is a good place to get manuals for a reasonable price.
I have the haynes manual, is that adequate ? It has circuit diagrams of the lighting systems.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #11
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

A Haynes manual should at least tell you how things are wired in the car, which is a good help. A factory manual will also tell you where to find things like connectors and ground points. It gives better details.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
LilBlackHatchback
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
A Haynes manual should at least tell you how things are wired in the car, which is a good help. A factory manual will also tell you where to find things like connectors and ground points. It gives better details.
Fair enough, thanks again!

EDIT:
Update, I got a factory manual and i found which relay is responsible, I swapped it out but it didn't fix it. I checked the fuse for the tail lights and it was fine since they do come on when remote started. One thing I noticed that I didn't before was when I lock the car with the fob the tail lights do their blinking routine, two different sequences (press lock once, press it again) with two brightness levels working. But the license plate lights are always out. If its not a relay, fuse or wiring (atleast dont think its wiring since the work in some cases and the brakes which are the same LEDs work), what could it be ? I have an ODB dongle can that help me? Otherwise I'm back to studying the factory manual.

Last edited by LilBlackHatchback; 01-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #13
ctyd3nt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486215

Does anyone have a relay chart for 06-07 wrx/sti?

I have a similar issue where my tail lights went out along with my license plate lights and part of my dash/heater control lights. I checked all the fuses but dont know which relay to swap because dont have my owners manual :/

2006 Subaru WRX USDM MT Sedan
ctyd3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #14
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Check to see if fuse 5 in the dash fuse panel is getting power to it when the lights should be on. Use the small test points on the top of each side of the fuse to check for power. If you have no power there then you should check out the parking switch on the top of the steering column. That switch passes power even in the OFF mode.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #15
ctyd3nt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 486215

Figured out the problem. Contacted a local place who work on Subaru's and they recommended to check out the umbilical cord bundle that runs under the front driver side wheel well. Due to my car being lowered sure enough i rubbed through two small wires.. so repaired that, tucked it up higher and voilą lights work again!
ctyd3nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 07:18 AM   #16
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #17
blubarau
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497072

I'm suffering a similar problem with 2007 impreza 2.5i.

Changed driving light bulbs, which now work, but the gauge cluster and taillights don't work now.
blubarau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #18
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubarau View Post
I'm suffering a similar problem with 2007 impreza 2.5i.

Changed driving light bulbs, which now work, but the gauge cluster and taillights don't work now.
Start by metering fuses under the dash....don't look.....meter for power on each end to ground or pull the fuses and check for continuity.

I make decent money when peeps look at fuses but I find blown ones....they could spend less than a buck, I charge parts and labor....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #19
Subie945
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 531771
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 impreza WRX STI
Black

Default relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkunkle09 View Post
Hey I'm having the same issue right now... Which relay did you replace?
im having the same issue what relay did you replace?
Subie945 is offline   Reply With Quote