Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday January 22, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Motorsports

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #1
WhiteZombie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 338863
Vehicle:
PSM 05 WRX WGN 5MT
95 Caprice 6spd Track Rat

Default 1 step colder plugs for light track/autocross?

Forgive me if this has been answered anywhere else already as I'm only on page 3 of the however many thread Spark Plug FAQ thread,

BUT

Have any of you guys had issues with stock heat range NGK Iridium IX BKR6EIX 6418 plugs in a mildly modded 'Stage 2' EJ205's getting too hot on track and coming apart a few weeks after an event?

Backstory:
My buddy and I co-drove my '05 wagon at the 12/15/19 Shenandoah Trackcross - Basically minute long, standing start half track lap, maybe 2 short pulls down the straights, one top of 3rd gear, and the other just getting into 4th for a few seconds, but generally high rpm use for the short lap. Then about 5-10 minutes of idling in the pits before switching drivers and doing it all again, for a total of 6-8 runs each.
Ambient temp mid to maybe high 40's, no temp related issues during the event and car ran great at the event, plus the 3 hour drive home and 2 weeks after the event UNTIL this happened:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...5#post46204855

Do you guys think I just accidentally got some knockoff counterfeit plugs?
Or is it possible they were genuine and just could handle the heat?

I do plan on sending them in to NGK for analysis/ counterfeit verification, but don't want this to happen again in the future when I do any more track stuff. Never going to be a hardcore track car as I already have one, but may do a TNIA event or more trackross/autocross action in the future.

I've got a fresh GENUINE set waiting at home I was planning to install tonight, but debating if I should wait and go one step colder.

Thoughts?
WhiteZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links