Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday June 19, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
kgharrin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501826
Default 2019 STI - gargle noise when shifting

Hey, friends.

I have a 2019 WR Blue STI. I love it so far (2000 miles)

I notice a noise when shifting under moderate load around 3500 rpm right when I press the clutch. It sounds like a gargle noise similar to what would happen if you kept your foot on the throttle while pressing the clutch. Almost like a blip in engine speed before falling down again.

I was curious so I investigated. If the car is in neutral with the clutch fully released, you can rev the engine and it sounds nice and smooth. Then, keeping the trans in neutral but pressing the clutch and doing the same thing (rev it up to 4000 or so) it had a different sound...the same gargle/raspy noise when it passes through ~3500 rpm as I described before.

Someone else experienced the same thing on a different forum, but it was inconclusive. (https://www.iwsti.com/forums/2015-st...en-shifts.html)
Has anyone experienced this? Any thoughts on the root cause? Its probably not an issue but I'd just like to understand what it is.

For the 2019/RA owners - maybe try this quick test out and let me know what you find.

Last edited by kgharrin; 05-21-2019 at 01:48 PM.
kgharrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 PM   #2
CaliKid87
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501937

I have a 2005 wrx sti and I get the same noise. I dont know what the hell that is but it seems common. I will subscribe to hear what others have to say. Good luck man!
CaliKid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
JonnyD91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 250084
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2019 STI
Pure red

Your link above was me. It's definitely an engine noise. I tried to take a video of it but its hard to hear it. Even when normal driving you have to really listen for it. I was coming from a 2010 WRX so I assume its an STI thing. The STI used to have a tube that brought sound from the engine compartment into the cabin. I believe that was removed in 18. My best guess is that it is a combination of the higher flow intake and exhaust.
JonnyD91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
kgharrin
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyD91 View Post
Your link above was me. It's definitely an engine noise. I tried to take a video of it but its hard to hear it. Even when normal driving you have to really listen for it. I was coming from a 2010 WRX so I assume its an STI thing. The STI used to have a tube that brought sound from the engine compartment into the cabin. I believe that was removed in 18. My best guess is that it is a combination of the higher flow intake and exhaust.

Yeah, i saw a review video of the 2019 STi and I definitely heard the same noise so it seems to be normal. Once the nameless exhaust comes it should be harder to hear lol.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
SgtSnuggle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501980
Vehicle:
2019 STi
WR Blue

Smile

Just got back from the dealership for this issue.
The service adviser, said it was the bypass valve, and is perfectly normal.

...now I am wondering if there is a better sounding bypass valve to put on instead
SgtSnuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
kgharrin
Scooby Newbie

I am just hesitant because the noise happens when not in boost also. If you just rev it out to 5 (casually) and clutch in, the noise still occurs as the engine speed falls through ~3500. Or, like I said in the original post, if you just do it while in neutral with the clutch in it is very clear and the bypass valve shouldn’t be opening then, right?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
SgtSnuggle
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 501980
Vehicle:
2019 STi
WR Blue

Your concerns make sense. Might be worth taking it in to have the noise documented if something does go wrong in the future.
SgtSnuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
hoepuncher
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 245452

I have a 2019 STI and have the same noise
hoepuncher is offline   Reply With Quote