Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 28, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-08-2020, 10:13 PM   #1
13Stoploss
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 262494
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Black

Cool '05 OEM subwoofer driver replacement

My '05 WRX wagon didn't originally come with an OEM subwoofer, but in 2010, I bought a used one and installed it. For the past year, on drives more than 30 minutes, my sub would crap out the head unit, make some loud low freq sounds, and my kids would plug their ears. I think they have PTSD.

With today's gorgeous weather, I finally set about seeing what's up. Found out that my sub's gain was completely off. I played some music and turned the crossover up and down. The sub distorted with gain off. As I turned the gain up and down, the distortion got worse.

I pulled it out and unscrewed it all. The amp board looks great. No broken solder joints, no exploded or leaky capacitors. When I pulled the driver, I found that it looks good, but in depressing the driver, I saw the inner portion of the surround was cracked and dry rotted.

My first instinct is to replace the driver's surround. Should be an easy foam job--if I could find a replacement. Next, I could just replace the whole driver. Or, I could just get another OEM sub. The two latter would likely have the same problem though--the '02-07 WRX and its OEM parts are a bit long in tooth.

I've searched Nasioc and a few of the others. The threads are so old the pics don't load and the links are broken. I found a part number for the driver in one thread, but it doesn't turn up any results (that I could find) in any of the Subaru parts websites.

If some of you have made it this far, you're screaming what a waste, the OEM sub sucks, get some dual 12's for the trunk or something aftermarket.

You're wrong.

You've been led to believe that loud is good, that decibels and rattling are what matters.

But I listen to real music, and real music from real instruments rarely plays lower than 50hz, even though there is sometimes information into the high 30s.

The point of a subwoofer for real music is to relieve low-frequency stress from the rest of the transducers in the system. A subwoofer increases driver efficiency by freeing up low-freqs in the chain. Since low frequencies are not point independent, the rest of the speakers sound better by being more efficient with the mids and high frequencies.

The OEM underseat subwoofer performs this task very well. Exceptionally well. The system balance is so, sooo good. If you could drown out your illegal exhaust note, and if you listened to music made from instruments instead of computers, you night be able to hear it.

I realize how condescending that sounds. I'm a jerk.

Please sell this jerk your extra sub, or point me in the way toward a driver refoam kit, or new driver.

Thanks,
Jason
13Stoploss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Smurftastic
Scooby Guru

Member#: 243697
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
17.4 PSI ECUtuned 02
BLOD Cofounder|TopScoob31

I upgraded my under seat sub to this, you'll be happy. It functions the same way as the OEM sub, pulling sound off the other speakers. It works very well for progressive metal, which as you may already know, is layered and complex.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-S.../dp/B00BO8O9XQ
Smurftastic is offline   Reply With Quote