Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday November 28, 2022
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-12-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13617
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back
to stock is a project too

Default Display gauges on LCD?

Ok, this if for you experts, or i guess anyone who has an idea. I am sure people have had this idea before but i was wondering if it would be possible to do.

I have an in dash lcd touch screen in my car with 2 A/V inputs. what i was wondering is if i could have someone make a program that would digitally display about six gauges on the screen at one time, therefore eliminating the need for actual gauges in the A-pillar and such. i was thinking i would need some sort of "box" to recieve all of the signals then send those signals to maybe a computer like brain which has the software written on it to display the readings from a video card into my A/V input that would display them on my screen. Is this possible? Is this retarded? Would it probably cost more to do this than just get 6 electrical gauges(lets say averaging $200)?

even if it would cost more to do this crazy way how could you do it if it was possible? thanks

Ben
PHATsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 03:09 AM   #2
Rapid_Roo
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31511
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 GD2 GM4 BP9
www.ITNRally.org

doesn't HKS or someone like that make something like that already. If I remember correctly, there is also something like in the R34 Skyline in Japan.
Rapid_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
Thunder Lungs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33677
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1980 2 feet
caucasian

I wouldn't think it would be all too difficult. I could be very wrong here though.

It seems to me someone would be able to take the sending units from the types of guages you would want (electronic guages of course) and determine the min/max ranges and map them into an EPROM, a small program written in assembly would draw the virtual guage faces on the LCD, and display the values accordingly.

One problems you could run into is proper calibration of the digital version of the guages, but shouldn't be that much of a problem. Virtual analog style would be much more complicated than simply a numerical readout, or even realtime graphing.

And the #1 problem I'd think you'd have is finding someone who has the necessary skills to perform this. They would have to be someone with a very competent automotive background, stereo installation experience (for the LCD install), and someone with a professional level of computer programming experience in industrial applications. They would also need the proper equipment to burn the EPROM, and design/build the master recieving unit.

I would wager a guess that if you find someone, after you buy all the parts necessary and pay this Macguyver of a mechanic you would be looking at somewhere in the $3k-4k range.

But this would be oh so trick. Would doubtfully ever be as complex or badass as the Skyline computer, but hey... you can't have everything.

Good luck...
Feel free to flame me if I'm speaking out of my @ss
Thunder Lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
Rapid_Roo
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31511
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 GD2 GM4 BP9
www.ITNRally.org

Rapid_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13617
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back
to stock is a project too

yeah i think it may be possible, its all about who you know. i should ask some of my computer friends about the EPROM stuff and see what it would take to do. i dont know what i could use to get all the signals though, or i guess that would be the job of the software right? like doesnt the electrical gauge work by reading a voltage? so like lets say(this is all a theory) that my egt probe is transmitting a reading of 5 volts, it would be the job of the software to know that 5 volts=1200 degrees or something right? that brings up another question which would be, what do i use in to transmit a reading in volts from a particular sensor such as an EGT sensor? just some ideas. 3-4k is way more than gauges but it would be cool to figure out how to do anyways.

Ben
PHATsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:59 PM   #6
Thunder Lungs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1980 2 feet
caucasian

Well, I'd think that different guages would send their signal's in different ways.

Oil pressure for example may send the signal and it be read in volts and converted by the guage accordingly. RPM's however I'm pretty sure are read in Hz. so you would need something along the line of an osciliscope to read that, would probably just read a constant voltage on a volt meter.

The signal reciever would have to be something fairly complex to be able to read and interpret all those signals at once, but is well within the means of what is possible.
Old 04-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
rchaves
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24628
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
PSM

Hey Ben,

I'll be doing this with a laptop soon. My basic setup will be:

ECU or Sensors -> BOB (Break-Out Box) -> DAQ Card (Data Acquisition Card) -> Laptop w/ Software

I'm working on a major lighting upgrade right, but when it's done, I'll be starting this... this could of course output to an external LCD with appropriate DSUB or A/V connectors. This isn't cheap, of course. I already have the most expensive part, a laptop. But any Pentium I or newer computer would work. I also have the DAQ Card (they go for ~$400+) and will be writing my own software. A friend will be working on displaying analog gauges, and a cousin of mine will be graphically designing the gauges themselves.

I've given it some thought already. I'm not sure where you're located, but if you wanna work on this together, I'm game.

- Chaves
rchaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
Thunder Lungs
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1980 2 feet
caucasian

Never even occured to me you could use a breakout box for it, but as soon as I read it, it made total sense. Good luck, it's gonna be killer when you finish it.

Post pics when your done Chaves, I'd love to see.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
jdorrWRX02
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 30698
Default LCD gauge displaying project

I'm actually currently working on a project similar to what you're talking about.

Although my setup will be powered with an EPIA M9000 ITX mainboard which will run Win2K. See www.mini-itx.com

The computer setup has cost about $300 with no LCD. I and another clubwrx guy are in the process of writing some custom software to emulate guages. All data will be acquired through the OBD port using all the stock gauges - similar to how delta dash works.

If you want any more details about the project, pm me.

I thought this was the best way to go since it'll let me play mp3s, do navigation, and gauge display all from the same unit.

As of now, I'm searching for an LCD, so if anyone has any preferences and where they've mounted the LCD, please let me know. I've been leaning towards doing something along the lines of the retractable setup as what is coming as an option with the STi. Anyone out there, have a LCD setup like this?
jdorrWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote