Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday August 14, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #1
IanT-EJ22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477892
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza Wagon
Silver

Default '00 Outback Sport-Stalled on Highway/No Start

2000 Outback Sport
2.2L EJ22 SOHC
5spd
~150k miles

Driving on the highway today doing about 75 when the car started misfiring for a few brief seconds and then cut out, there was no CEL or any other warning lights on. I played with the throttle a bit and kept the ignition on while rolling to a stop, it didn't fire once, just bogged out as if the engine had been shut off. I tried to crank it over after waiting a few minutes while pulled over, it sounded a bit weird when cranking, as if there wasn't equal compression amoungst all cylinders but it was my first time hearing a subi crank over as a no start so idk. It did not fire once but cranked over fairly easily. No weird noises. I looked under the car for oil leaks to make sure I didn't like throw a rod or something. Everything looked normal under the hood, battery is good.

After I got home:
  • Checked that the fuel pump runs and primes with the initial turning of the ignition to "ON", it does
  • Checked for fuel at the fuel filter where it connects to the rail (Fuel Feed Line), there is plenty of fuel getting to the rails at least
  • Checked that there was spark @ the #1 cylinder, there is good spark
  • Checked the computer for codes, even though there is no CEL on, no codes stored, pending or stored
  • Checked all relays and fuses, all are good
  • Checked to see if the timing belt had slipped or jumped, I have only got as far as taking off the smaller timing cover that covers the cam gear for cylinders #4 and #2. The belt mark lines up with the mark on the gear and the gear mark lines up on the cover.

What else should I tackle? I'm thinking its a fuel delivery problem, something that is such that fuel is getting from the tank to the filter and even to the rails and injectors but for whatever reason, the injectors or inop.

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks guys,

-Ian
IanT-EJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
IanT-EJ22
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477892
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza Wagon
Silver

Problem Found...

After struggling with getting the crank pulley bolt out (30 min of making a special holding tool) I was able to get the timing cover completely off. Sure enough, with the crankshaft at #1 TDC, the cam gear for cylinders # 2 and # 4 lines up as it should BUT the cam gear for cylinders #1 and # 3 is off by a half inch. I'm not sure whether the tensioner went or what but it jumped quite a few teeth. Just hoping I didn't bend any valves.
IanT-EJ22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Jackntu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487444

+1
Jackntu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
1996 Impreza coupe

I was leaning the same way you were - fuel delivery problem - based on my own experience earlier this year. In my case it turned out to be the fuel filter (one thing I had not replaced when I bought the car used, so who knows how old it was), but you had already checked that.

Fingers crossed for you! Tensioner must be bad to allow the belt to skip like that, methinks.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #5
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT-EJ22 View Post
Problem Found...

After struggling with getting the crank pulley bolt out (30 min of making a special holding tool) I was able to get the timing cover completely off. Sure enough, with the crankshaft at #1 TDC, the cam gear for cylinders # 2 and # 4 lines up as it should BUT the cam gear for cylinders #1 and # 3 is off by a half inch. I'm not sure whether the tensioner went or what but it jumped quite a few teeth. Just hoping I didn't bend any valves.
Crank bolt socket, breaker bar on it, wedge bar against chassis towards drivers side, kill ignition, bump starter.......

Bolt loose.

Note: crank timing belt mark on any 4 cylinder Subaru is NOT cyl 1 at TDC.
Crank timing mark leaves all pistons at mid stroke.
This is a Subaru, a lot different than other brands.
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote