Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday June 15, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
pnoyjstylez
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 172235
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 ImprezaWRX Stg2
Black

Default 2016 Subaru WRX Rod Knock - Trouble

Hello, its been awhile since I have been on the forums. So sorry if this is in the wrong place and please lmk where I have to move it if it is.

I've decided to step away from the modding game on Subaru's since the last one I got was a 2008 Subaru STi. I've also owned a 2002 Subaru WRX with STi swapped and a 2005 Subaru STi. I've done work on all three and have worked as a mechanic in a shop. I've had all three of these well over 150k miles on them with no major problems and was fully modded to Stage 2.

Fast forward I got a brand new 2016 Subaru WRX with less than 10 miles on it from the dealership after my Honda Civic Si was totaled in a hit and run about 3 years ago. I also got the Gold Plan Warranty until 80k with it knowing if I don't mod engine it I should be covered.

I got back into the subaru due to reliability and I've never had any problems with them. I have done maintenance and changed the oil on it every 5-6k miles. Car was never raced or launched. It was a daily driver that I wanted due to reliability and gas mileage. Car was running smoothly until April 6, 2019. It's at about 65k miles since I constantly drive back and forth from South to North Jersey to NYC due to work. As I was pulling away after dropping my friend off, the engine started to create a rattle on it so I decided to pull over and check it out. As I stopped the car, the engine stalled and would not start back up again.

I got the car towed 2 days after due to work and as soon as I got the the dealership. The tow truck guy got it started and started to make a considerable loud rod knock that I've never experienced.

I left the car at Lynn's Subaru and got a call that service records were needed for the car but most of the records I did not think to keep because since I was moving around lot due to work I was not able to get the records from all the oil change places I've been through. Luckily I've had the most recent ones available. I got a call that afternoon asking for a $650 commitment fee to tear the engine down to see what was wrong with it which I had agreed to because it would be covered if it's determined if its a manufacturing defect.

I gave it about a week to hear back from them and they called today and said they need $1000 fee to take the engine out if its determined if its covered or not.

The only mods that I did were all aesthetic and regardless the car been through NYC curb damage and people bumping into the car. The only other mod I had was a muffler delete which does not affect performance at all. Has anyone had any problems with this run around and this particular type of engine. I got the warranty for peaceful mind knowing if I take care of it and something happens that i would be covered. But now I'm sitting here nervous that they're gonna find something and they won't cover it. I've never had problems on a warranty on any other cars an never had to commit to the fee they had asked for I'm found at fault. This a a lease car also which i was planning to buy out as soon as it ended. I'm scared im gonna be paying at least 6-7k which is half the cost the value of the car. Still funny the one car you don't decided to mod is the one that breaks at that mileage. Anyone have advice?
pnoyjstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
2018wrx_newbie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477489
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
CWP

I don’t see any reason to be worried. Since you dont have any performance mods and the extended warranty is in place, everything should be covered. Hopefully the recent service records should suffice IF they ask for them. If they insist on older records, go back to the place that you got it serviced at and ask them to print a copy.

Also, please post in the thread below as well for the benefit of the community, where people report failures on 15+ WRX

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2749732
2018wrx_newbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
Imeld21
*** Banned ***

Member#: 500021

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018wrx_newbie View Post
I donít see any reason to be worried. Since you havenít modded it and the extended warranty is in place, everything should be covered. Hopefully the recent service records should suffice IF they ask for them. If they insist on older records, go back to the place that you got it serviced at and ask them to print a copy.
+1
Imeld21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

What were you using as oil? Lots of folks use the rotella diesel oil for the EJ25 engine, but for the newer direct injection engines, that's not a great choice. If you are worried about the dealership, just give SoA a call - they are generally very helpful. I just went through a similar situation with my LGT (clicking which turned out to be a spun bearing - fewer miles than your car, though) and Subaru definitely helped out.

If you have kept up with maintenance and can show records, you should be all set (I had a spreadsheet I keep, and some, but not all receipts - I have always used a Subaru filter, and had records for those (and the ones I didn't have, the local dealership I buy them from likely did since they always have your name associated with purchases) - the main thing they are looking for is regular oil changes at the interval specified. Then I imagine they ask the dealer to look for signs of abuse. Not sure why they are giving you crap if you have a warranty, assuming you have done all that the warranty stipulated you needed to do.

I will say for my car, I had to commit to the diagnosis fee ($125) but after that the dealer never came to me asking for more money to continue the diagnosis - basically, the knocking is either the timing kit or a bearing - for the newer engines that use the chain, I guess digging in there is more time consuming... dropping the oil pan is probably similar, though - if it's full of bearing bits, you have your answer.
DrD is online now   Reply With Quote