Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 16, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default TVG on non turbo ej253?

Picked up a clean 2005 Outback last week for $300 that had a hole in the block the size of a baseball, then picked up a JDM ej253. Transferred the old engine harness to the new engine, but being my stubborn self I didn't swap intakes since the old one was filled with metal shavings. Now I only had to plug one vacuum line and swap fittings to run the vacuum to the brake booster (those were the only two differences in vacuum lines on the intakes).

Engine fired right up and ran perfect, but had no power and revved extremely slow. Learned what the TVG is and that it wasn't just some "extra" sensor which was "useless" since my ECU wasn't connected to it anyway. Pulled the motors off the TGV, stood them straight up, then bolted the covers back on so they'll be held in the fully open position. The engine now revs up normally, but driving down the road it appeared to lack quite a bit of power.

Plan on removing the butterflies as soon as I have the time but I have two questions..

1)How do I make certain and identify I was sold a non turbo ej253? Nowhere online can I find where I see the TGV on a non turbo.

2)Would there be any difference in the fuel injectors?

In advance, I appreciate all feedback!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
yarrgh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 80465
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2001 2.5RS
Black Diamond Pearl

Default

Why not just clean out the old intake manifold?
yarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrgh View Post
Why not just clean out the old intake manifold?
I was in a hurry and they appeared to be identical besides the vacuum line to the brake booster and the tgv(now that I know what that is and opened it up).

All feedback is appreciated and I assumed there would be some comments asking why I didn't swap them so I guess to be most specific..

Is there any possibility this could be a turbo block which would idle perfect but be an absolute slug?
priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
GEE-OTTO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201277
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Arlington VA
Vehicle:
2008 08 QSM 5MT LGT
QSM

Default

First off look below the IM where the block mates(behind the Alt/PS area) you should see a EJ25 on each half, that will let you know that you have a EJ25 at least. If its EJ25 and single cam and metal IM you have a 251/2/3/4. If it is EJ25 and single Cam and plastic IM you have phase 3 EJ253. If you see EJ20 you have a EJ201/2/3/4.

Next where did you buy this replacement Ej253? If you bought it off ebay or one of these JDM importers sites, chances are they sold you a EJ20*
GEE-OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO View Post
First off look below the IM where the block mates(behind the Alt/PS area) you should see a EJ25 on each half, that will let you know that you have a EJ25 at least. If its EJ25 and single cam and metal IM you have a 251/2/3/4. If it is EJ25 and single Cam and plastic IM you have phase 3 EJ253. If you see EJ20 you have a EJ201/2/3/4.

Next where did you buy this replacement Ej253? If you bought it off ebay or one of these JDM importers sites, chances are they sold you a EJ20*
It definitely is an EJ25 single cam w/ metal intake manifold. It was purchased from a reputable JDM importer here in Va, don't wanna throw that business out there in the event I'm doing something foolish. Supposedly the donor vehicle was a 2005 and all I know is that the exhaust manifold points forward instead of backwards like on my outback.
priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
GEE-OTTO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201277
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Arlington VA
Vehicle:
2008 08 QSM 5MT LGT
QSM

Default

Yeah I know of two one in the 757 the other in 804. It could be one of those early build date 05 PZEVs either way the legit 253 is not that much of a dog. If you have a pic post it could be helpful, also is the timing set right?

On the manifold, is it like the 2.5RS Y style manifold or the 06+ EJ253 stock manifold or the Early 05 MY PZEV EJ251 (looks like a H6 exhaust)?

Is this engine single or dual port now that I think of it?
GEE-OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Been quite a few years since I've been on a forum like this. Hopefully this will help show a little more. As far as the timing, I'm not 100%. If I knew what I was looking at with the scan tool on OBD live that would probably tell me everything I need to know.
https://ibb.co/cLGQnBM
https://ibb.co/s2djPC0
https://ibb.co/6YvWpBF

**** Forgot I had these next ones, much better images.



Last edited by priviello1; 10-03-2019 at 05:18 PM.
priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO View Post
Yeah I know of two one in the 757 the other in 804. It could be one of those early build date 05 PZEVs either way the legit 253 is not that much of a dog. If you have a pic post it could be helpful, also is the timing set right?

On the manifold, is it like the 2.5RS Y style manifold or the 06+ EJ253 stock manifold or the Early 05 MY PZEV EJ251 (looks like a H6 exhaust)?

Is this engine single or dual port now that I think of it?
Sorry guys, struggling trying to get this in the right place has been difficult.

priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #9
GEE-OTTO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 201277
Join Date: Jan 2009
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Arlington VA
Vehicle:
2008 08 QSM 5MT LGT
QSM

Default

Thats a EJ203, sorry to break it the JDM models almost always get the 2.0L variant to the USDM engine designation for the non-turbo. These engine importers almost always have the JDM variant and for great prices which entices many a blown EJ25* owner. I see many EJ255 equipped WRX/LGT/OBXT/FXT owners tempted by the JDM EJ205 waters due to price. Then they realize they cant run Dual AVCS or pass emission b/c the JDM ECU or their USDM ecu isn't 100% PnP.

The dead giveaway for your caseis the exhaust manifold.

A USDM 253 would have this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....PL._SX679_.jpg

And the IM would look like this (notice the length of the runners)
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/P...%20intake1.jpg

Its in the car now so really its a matter of getting used to being down to EJ251/EJ25D power levels. The 4EAT doesnt help that feeling.
GEE-OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:14 AM   #10
priviello1
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507018
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEE-OTTO View Post
Thats a EJ203, sorry to break it the JDM models almost always get the 2.0L variant to the USDM engine designation for the non-turbo. These engine importers almost always have the JDM variant and for great prices which entices many a blown EJ25* owner. I see many EJ255 equipped WRX/LGT/OBXT/FXT owners tempted by the JDM EJ205 waters due to price. Then they realize they cant run Dual AVCS or pass emission b/c the JDM ECU or their USDM ecu isn't 100% PnP.

The dead giveaway for your caseis the exhaust manifold.

A USDM 253 would have this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....PL._SX679_.jpg

And the IM would look like this (notice the length of the runners)
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/P...%20intake1.jpg

Its in the car now so really its a matter of getting used to being down to EJ251/EJ25D power levels. The 4EAT doesnt help that feeling.
Sorry It took me so long to reply, been super busy. You have me all confused because it does say 25 on the block and for whatever reason the forum wouldn't let me post the pics of the engines side by side when they were both out. They do look truly identical.

Current update: Said heck with it and have been driving it every day. Do have a substantial alignment issue which will be fixed tomorrow but I'm currently getting almost 27 MPG per tank. Maybe the car just felt slack since I hadn't been driving my 97 Outback and I've gotten used to my Tahoe.
priviello1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.