Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-11-2003, 02:24 AM   #1
sir_aspen_white
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32358
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
"Stormtrooper"

Default GC8 Aftermarket light problems?

When I bought my '00 RS2.5, the previous owner warned me about putting aftermarket "HID-look" bulbs. I guess he melted or blew something a few weeks after installation. He and the dealer said it was a universal Impreza problem at that time, yet I can't seem to find people who had this problem when I searched the forums.

Does anybody know the exact nature on this issue? Has anyone found a solution? Does this problem effect the fog light bulbs as well?
sir_aspen_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2003, 01:43 PM   #2
Keiho
Scooby Guru

Member#: 610
Chapter/Region: VIC
Vehicle:
2003 Lexus IS300
Graphite Gray Pearl

Its probably because the previous owner threw in much higher wattage bulbs that melted the wiring harness or something. I see no problem why stock wattage bulbs would mess anything up.
Keiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
Texas25RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3148
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
12 Ford F150 EB
00 BRP 2.5RS (again)

I melted a harness down with aftermarket bulbs... yup the design of the (Impreza headlights SUCK... they used like 18 gauge wire for the power wire... bad idea... I am going to upgrade my harness next weekend to remedy this problem.
Texas25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas25RS
I melted a harness down with aftermarket bulbs... yup the design of the (Impreza headlights SUCK... they used like 18 gauge wire for the power wire... bad idea... I am going to upgrade my harness next weekend to remedy this problem.
why is 18 guage wire a bad idea on a circuit that flows 1 or 2 amps normally?? it can more then effectively handle the load...it's when you double or triple the crrent flow that you beging to overheat the wires @ the load i.e.: the headlight socket.

Jeremy
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:04 PM   #5
sir_aspen_white
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32358
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS
"Stormtrooper"

1 or 2 amps?

Aren't aftermarket HID's usually 5amps, and advertised as using only half of the amps compared to the normal bulb amperage? Then did anyone have problems with HID systems on a GC8?
sir_aspen_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 02:11 AM   #6
HndaTch627
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6551
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'01 GC8 Dinged STM
'09 Concours 14 ABS Black

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_aspen_white
1 or 2 amps?

Aren't aftermarket HID's usually 5amps, and advertised as using only half of the amps compared to the normal bulb amperage? Then did anyone have problems with HID systems on a GC8?
what you need to know is if the 5 amps is peak or sustained draw, facotry headlights with peak draw 10 amps initally and as the bulb heats the resistance increases incredibly and therefore the amperage decreases.
HndaTch627 is offline   Reply With Quote