Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Kartboy Short Shifter Help

SO I just picked up a kartboy short throw shifter for my 02 wrx wagon from a guy parting his car out. The problem is it was the narrow barrel model but I have the wide linkage in my car. He was nice enough to throw in the linkage with the linkage to fit the narrow barrel shifter.

My question is would it be possible for me to just install the narrow shifter with some washers or rubber spacers of sort to fit my existing linkage? If so what is the size difference between the narrow and wide.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Best to do it the right way, either install the linkage that is compatible with the shifter you bought, or sell that one and purchase the one that fits. Not a good idea to try and rig something up.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Best to do it the right way, either install the linkage that is compatible with the shifter you bought, or sell that one and purchase the one that fits. Not a good idea to try and rig something up.
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it was a waste of time or not. Thanks for your input
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyChamp View Post
SO I just picked up a kartboy short throw shifter for my 02 wrx wagon from a guy parting his car out. The problem is it was the narrow barrel model but I have the wide linkage in my car. He was nice enough to throw in the linkage with the linkage to fit the narrow barrel shifter.

My question is would it be possible for me to just install the narrow shifter with some washers or rubber spacers of sort to fit my existing linkage? If so what is the size difference between the narrow and wide.
Best way is like mulder said, if not. you can try and find some nylon or teflon washers to take up the gap if you are short on coin.
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Best way is like mulder said, if not. you can try and find some nylon or teflon washers to take up the gap if you are short on coin.
Thank you Tom. I will just replace the whole linkage since I already have it. Would you suggest buying the new bushings for when I do?
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 67
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: San Diego, CA
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyChamp View Post
Thank you Tom. I will just replace the whole linkage since I already have it. Would you suggest buying the new bushings for when I do?
I would, you're already there. Might want to look at the super whammy jammy kit from Turn in Concepts. they have our bushings along with some pivot bushings. it'll make it better than new.
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would, you're already there. Might want to look at the super whammy jammy kit from Turn in Concepts. they have our bushings along with some pivot bushings. it'll make it better than new.
I'll have to look into that. There is a lot of side to side wobble room in my shifter while in gear and that's why I'm looking to upgrade it.
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyChamp View Post
I'll have to look into that. There is a lot of side to side wobble room in my shifter while in gear and that's why I'm looking to upgrade it.
How much side play are we talking about? If it's something like an inch or more, the main problem may not be at the shifter but rather the u-joint at the transmission. In that case you'll be needing one of these-
http://turninconcepts.com/driveline/...ge-update.html
They have complete bushing kits that also include that linkage so you can just do everything at once. Be sure to get the right version (wide or narrow) depending on which setup you end up keeping.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
How much side play are we talking about? If it's something like an inch or more, the main problem may not be at the shifter but rather the u-joint at the transmission. In that case you'll be needing one of these-
http://turninconcepts.com/driveline/...ge-update.html
They have complete bushing kits that also include that linkage so you can just do everything at once. Be sure to get the right version (wide or narrow) depending on which setup you end up keeping.
It's pretty bad, probably an inch or two. That's probably what I really need. I'll order that/the bushings and do the whole shifter assembly at once since I wanted a short throw anyway. I was told the bushings would help with the slop but that's probably just up/down and not the wobble. I will definitely get one of those too. Is that better than the oem one? I just googled that part and the OEM is about half the price
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
Mulder
Trust no one
Moderator
 
Member#: 11170
Join Date: Oct 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Default

Yes the TIC linkage replacement is an upgrade from the factory part. It's explained in the description on their website.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 463155
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wayne, Michigan
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Yes the TIC linkage replacement is an upgrade from the factory part. It's explained in the description on their website.
I read it wrong initially. I thought it was saying it's an upgrade over your old worn out linkage. Thanks for all of your help Mulder. I'm still fairly new to the wrx life (maybe 9 months). My 99 OBS was a bit less complicated when purchasing parts
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.