Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 25, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #1
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 463155
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Default Kartboy Short Shifter Help

SO I just picked up a kartboy short throw shifter for my 02 wrx wagon from a guy parting his car out. The problem is it was the narrow barrel model but I have the wide linkage in my car. He was nice enough to throw in the linkage with the linkage to fit the narrow barrel shifter.

My question is would it be possible for me to just install the narrow shifter with some washers or rubber spacers of sort to fit my existing linkage? If so what is the size difference between the narrow and wide.
HoneyChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Best to do it the right way, either install the linkage that is compatible with the shifter you bought, or sell that one and purchase the one that fits. Not a good idea to try and rig something up.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Best to do it the right way, either install the linkage that is compatible with the shifter you bought, or sell that one and purchase the one that fits. Not a good idea to try and rig something up.
That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if it was a waste of time or not. Thanks for your input
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 67
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyChamp View Post
SO I just picked up a kartboy short throw shifter for my 02 wrx wagon from a guy parting his car out. The problem is it was the narrow barrel model but I have the wide linkage in my car. He was nice enough to throw in the linkage with the linkage to fit the narrow barrel shifter.

My question is would it be possible for me to just install the narrow shifter with some washers or rubber spacers of sort to fit my existing linkage? If so what is the size difference between the narrow and wide.
Best way is like mulder said, if not. you can try and find some nylon or teflon washers to take up the gap if you are short on coin.
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Best way is like mulder said, if not. you can try and find some nylon or teflon washers to take up the gap if you are short on coin.
Thank you Tom. I will just replace the whole linkage since I already have it. Would you suggest buying the new bushings for when I do?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 67
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Quote:
Thank you Tom. I will just replace the whole linkage since I already have it. Would you suggest buying the new bushings for when I do?
I would, you're already there. Might want to look at the super whammy jammy kit from Turn in Concepts. they have our bushings along with some pivot bushings. it'll make it better than new.
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I would, you're already there. Might want to look at the super whammy jammy kit from Turn in Concepts. they have our bushings along with some pivot bushings. it'll make it better than new.
I'll have to look into that. There is a lot of side to side wobble room in my shifter while in gear and that's why I'm looking to upgrade it.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #8
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Quote:
I'll have to look into that. There is a lot of side to side wobble room in my shifter while in gear and that's why I'm looking to upgrade it.
How much side play are we talking about? If it's something like an inch or more, the main problem may not be at the shifter but rather the u-joint at the transmission. In that case you'll be needing one of these-
http://turninconcepts.com/driveline/...ge-update.html
They have complete bushing kits that also include that linkage so you can just do everything at once. Be sure to get the right version (wide or narrow) depending on which setup you end up keeping.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #9
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
How much side play are we talking about? If it's something like an inch or more, the main problem may not be at the shifter but rather the u-joint at the transmission. In that case you'll be needing one of these-
http://turninconcepts.com/driveline/...ge-update.html
They have complete bushing kits that also include that linkage so you can just do everything at once. Be sure to get the right version (wide or narrow) depending on which setup you end up keeping.
It's pretty bad, probably an inch or two. That's probably what I really need. I'll order that/the bushings and do the whole shifter assembly at once since I wanted a short throw anyway. I was told the bushings would help with the slop but that's probably just up/down and not the wobble. I will definitely get one of those too. Is that better than the oem one? I just googled that part and the OEM is about half the price
Old 06-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #10
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Yes the TIC linkage replacement is an upgrade from the factory part. It's explained in the description on their website.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #11
HoneyChamp
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Midnight Black Pearl

Quote:
Yes the TIC linkage replacement is an upgrade from the factory part. It's explained in the description on their website.
I read it wrong initially. I thought it was saying it's an upgrade over your old worn out linkage. Thanks for all of your help Mulder. I'm still fairly new to the wrx life (maybe 9 months). My 99 OBS was a bit less complicated when purchasing parts