Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-19-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
AndrewsBustedSubi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 534640
Vehicle:
2011 Wrx Hatch

Default Erratic idle A/F Rich then Lean

So ive been battling a erratic rough idle on my 2011 wrx. Noticing it doing it when it starts to get hot. Im going on 3,000 mile trip to Washington State soon and would love to iron this out.

Once it warms up my idle becomes erratic. A/F starts bouncing rich to lean. Before I reset my learning, I had a A/F Learning (correction???) of 4.68%. So, I smoke tested the system. Had a couple leaks. Leak at the turbo inlet, AOS hose going into the block by turbo, Bypass hose going into the turbo inlet hose. Leaks all fixed, reset ecu learning, gave it a try no difference. Then I unplugged MAF, idle was perfect. A/F was pegged at 14.7. Took it for a drive with MAF unplugged (stayed out of boost). A/F started bouncing rich to lean when I came to a stop and idled eventually it smoothed out within 14 on A/F ratio. So, I decided to buy a new Denso MAF, No difference. i don't know what's wrong with this pos. I guess my next step is replacing the wideband. I have zero leaks and no codes.
AndrewsBustedSubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2023, 01:11 PM   #2
enduroxt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 310796
Vehicle:
05 obxt

Looks like you have a way to view live parameters. How many miles on your car?

What are you long term fuel trims at the moment?

Another thing to check is MAF wiring harness. On both of my cars, the wiring harness (particularly at the MAF connector) was having ground issues. How did I check for this? Had the car idle, took my phone running the BtSsm app, and moved/bent the MAF wires at the MAF connector one direction or another and stared at the ECU parameters. Right away, corrections were getting implemented. You could even hear the idle.

Another thing to check: have you been logging misfire count per cylinder? Do they all stay at zero during warm idle? Do check.
enduroxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 01:11 PM   #3
enduroxt
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 obxt

Looks like you have a way to view live parameters. How many miles on your car?

What are you long term fuel trims at the moment?

Another thing to check is MAF wiring harness. On both of my cars, the wiring harness (particularly at the MAF connector) was having ground issues. How did I check for this? Had the car idle, took my phone running the BtSsm app, and moved/bent the MAF wires at the MAF connector one direction or another and stared at the ECU parameters. Right away, corrections were getting implemented. You could even hear the idle.

Another thing to check: have you been logging misfire count per cylinder? Do they all stay at zero during warm idle? Do check.
Old 06-23-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
enduroxt
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
05 obxt

Forgot to mention. Once I confirmed the issue was at the MAF connector (not the MAF itself), I purchased a MAF connector pig tail from iWire.
Old 06-24-2023, 02:01 AM   #5
riksk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 518114
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
11 WRX
Satin White Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroxt View Post
Forgot to mention. Once I confirmed the issue was at the MAF connector (not the MAF itself), I purchased a MAF connector pig tail from iWire.

Yeah I had the exact same problem once.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=2926997
riksk is offline   Reply With Quote