Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 30, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
DoubleyouAreExMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465720
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default Car running hotter than usual

My car typically run between 186-192 degrees, even when I'm driving aggressively. (I'm basing that number off what my accessport reads). Lately I've noticed it going up and then quickly coming back down. It will go keep going up and down repeatedly- not staying steady. The hottest it has gotten is 225 degrees before dropping back down. I checked my coolant level which was fine. Today I let the car idle for about 15mins. It heated to 186 per usual but then started going up. I shut the car off when it got to 195 degrees. I'm setting an appointment tomorrow to get the car looked at professionally.

A few weeks ago I was driving down an interstate doing 90-100MPH. I didn't have my AP in. After 15 mins of driving at that speed I looked down and my temperature needle was in the red. I was getting off my exit when I realized it so I coasted down a hill and a few moments later the needle dropped down to normal in about a second's worth of time. Ever since then I've been running the AP to keep an eye on things. A few weeks later and now it's doing what I just described- I'm clueless as to whether both incidents are related. What do you think? Headgaskets? Hopefully not.. 2011 wrx 100k miles. Car is protuned with downpipe- no crazy mods.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
DoubleyouAreExMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
avikm289
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 315748
Join Date: Apr 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long island NY
Vehicle:
2017 wrx sti
ice silver metallic

Default

get it flushed and see how it behaves
avikm289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleyouAreExMan View Post
My car typically run between 186-192 degrees, even when I'm driving aggressively. (I'm basing that number off what my accessport reads). Lately I've noticed it going up and then quickly coming back down. It will go keep going up and down repeatedly- not staying steady. The hottest it has gotten is 225 degrees before dropping back down. I checked my coolant level which was fine. Today I let the car idle for about 15mins. It heated to 186 per usual but then started going up. I shut the car off when it got to 195 degrees. I'm setting an appointment tomorrow to get the car looked at professionally.

A few weeks ago I was driving down an interstate doing 90-100MPH. I didn't have my AP in. After 15 mins of driving at that speed I looked down and my temperature needle was in the red. I was getting off my exit when I realized it so I coasted down a hill and a few moments later the needle dropped down to normal in about a second's worth of time. Ever since then I've been running the AP to keep an eye on things. A few weeks later and now it's doing what I just described- I'm clueless as to whether both incidents are related. What do you think? Headgaskets? Hopefully not.. 2011 wrx 100k miles. Car is protuned with downpipe- no crazy mods.
the cooling fans kick on at 207 degrees, so it shouldnt be going up to 225, get it pressure tested, but it could be corrosion in the radiator, especially if the coolant hasn't been flushed when recommended with the additive put in when refilled with new coolant. The cap could be bad or thermostat stuck partially open. The water pumps on the WRX/STI EJ's rarely fail....but at 100,000 miles its timing belt time, so replace the water pump when the belt gets done.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

usually the plastic tanks on the radiator will crack at the top hose outlet, so consider yourself lucky if its original and not cracked,,,but at 100,000 miles it could have corroded passages anyway.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
DoubleyouAreExMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465720
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

It's a new radiator- only a few thousand miles on it. Timing belt done less than 3k ago. I forget if water pump was done Id have to check the paperwork.
DoubleyouAreExMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #6
GK1707
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 373868
Join Date: Nov 2013
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NY
Vehicle:
2004 STi
WRB

Default

Check to make sure your fans are turning on. BOTH fans. I had this happen to me and saw Temps kick up to 216, which was unusual. I checked and noticed only one fan was working.

Sure enough the fuse for the fans was blown causing only one fan to turn on. Replaced the fuse and both fans kick on perfectly at 207 ever since.
GK1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
DoubleyouAreExMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465720
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK1707 View Post
Check to make sure your fans are turning on. BOTH fans. I had this happen to me and saw Temps kick up to 216, which was unusual. I checked and noticed only one fan was working.

Sure enough the fuse for the fans was blown causing only one fan to turn on. Replaced the fuse and both fans kick on perfectly at 207 ever since.
Thanks I will check that. 👍
DoubleyouAreExMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:10 PM   #8
JoeRice
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507520
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

You don't need fans at 90mph. I'd replace the thermostat.
JoeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #9
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

were you low on oil during that highway run? An engine low on oil can run hotter than normal, doesnt have to be low enough to trip the oil light either. Ok so new radiator...timing belt done..good. At 90 -100 the fans aren't doing anything so they should be off anyway...so low on oil or the thermostat isnt open fully.

Is it an OEM radiator?? If it was replaced recently you could have air in the block...try burping it

Last edited by NighthawkSTI; 02-10-2020 at 09:47 AM.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
JoeRice
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507520
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

Not sure a person could stare at the temp gauge on the dash and not notice an oil light....
JoeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #11
DoubleyouAreExMan
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465720
Join Date: Apr 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRice View Post
Not sure a person could stare at the temp gauge on the dash and not notice an oil light....
My oil light wasnt on
DoubleyouAreExMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #12
JoeRice
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507520
Join Date: Oct 2019
Default

That was my point. Replace the thermostat before you need head gaskets.
JoeRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.